Jim

[TC5] Technic C-Model Contest - Information Topic

Nathanael should be allowed to compete, it's been far too long since he last made a Technic C-model :laugh:

It's kind of discriminating that I'm the only one disqualified to compete, but I guess it's flattering as well. Oh well, that's the price one has to pay I suppose when you have a certain reputation. Anyways, good luck everyone and have fun! Looking forward to seeing what you all come up with.

I think he should be able to compete, even if he has restrictions like "he only gets 75% of his votes" or "if he wins he gets the second prize and the second gets the first prize".

It's kind of discriminating that I'm the only one disqualified to compete, but I guess it's flattering as well. Oh well, that's the price one has to pay I suppose when you have a certain reputation. Anyways, good luck everyone and have fun! Looking forward to seeing what you all come up with.

LoL :laugh:

Didn't expect you to respond to our "little prank". Blakbird made me do it :look:

I thought Jim was joking when he wrote that rule and he was. Would be kind of silly to disqualify one of the best builders for c-models. That's like banning Vettel from F1 :)

I thought Jim was joking when he wrote that rule and he was. Would be kind of silly to disqualify one of the best builders for c-models. That's like banning Vettel from F1 :)

Yes, we all want to see great creations and learn. Also I think banning him will be, as he already said, discrimination.

I hope to be able to join the contest but I only have got a 100 pieces small set and some extra parts but I'm afraid they're not enough to make another set with them.

Is it necessary to specify our MOCs part count?

And sorry for off-topic but Vettel is much worse than Alonso, Hamilton, Raikkonen, Rosberg, Bottas and many more IMHO.

I am not that much into F1 anymore, I was going to type 'Schumacher', but figured I'd use a more recent driver winning championships.

On topic:

Promotional image (this one should kick megablocks)

Any possibility of this rule being adjusted to just being something like an (action) photo of the model like you would see on boxes. Touched up photo with Sariel's GIMP tutorial perhaps.

Perhaps I am alone in this, but after the Mini contest and seeing what people managed with photoshop, I lost all desire to even try matching that level for future contest and was happy the model team contest didn't have that. Half of the reason is because I have absolutely no desire to learn photoshop to the level some people here can. The other half and perhaps even more important than the first: I don't see why a result in LEGO BUILDING contest should be influenced by my photoshop skills. That's a Lego+photoshop contest, not just a Lego contest.

Again perhaps it is just me and the rest loves making a photoshop image. If so carry on. I'll just probably end up making something then and not putting it in the entry topic.

I totally agree with Appie:

"I don't see why a result in LEGO BUILDING contest should be influenced by my photoshop skills. That's a Lego+photoshop contest, not just a Lego contest."

A suggestion: all photos in the entry topic should be real life photos with no manipulating. This would make the contest more fair. You can search for good backround, or make it, use your photo skills. You can combine with lighting, etc, but edited pictures isn't fair imho. Captions/subtiltles are ok.

Edited by Mbmc

I totally agree with Appie:

"I don't see why a result in LEGO BUILDING contest should be influenced by my photoshop skills. That's a Lego+photoshop contest, not just a Lego contest."

A suggestion: all photos in the entry topic should be real life photos with no manipulating. This would make the contest more fair. You can search for good backround, or make it, use your photo skills. You can combine with lighting, etc, but edited pictures isn't fair imho. Captions/subtiltles are ok.

I agree, building skills should be more important than photo skills.

I agree as well - this is a building competition. Not a photo editing competition. I thin kthe rule suggestion by Mbmc is a good one.

I've pretty much only ever bought flagship (or near enough) models. Never thought it'd come back to bite me on the bum!

Nevertheless, a great competition.

Owen.

Special thanks to TLG for making this possible! :thumbup:

Thanks to TLG, but specially thanks to JIM. JIM you are a great person!!!!!!!

Now, can I use a set with green parts + a set with red parts? is that ok?

Edited by TheItalianBrick

@PhyBuilder: I won't be nitpicking. Let's all use the Brickset part count to count the total parts. I don't mind that the set(s) actually contain a part or two more.

You are a reasonable guy, I know that you won't :classic:. It's moreover towards all, to avoid a disadvantage for yourselves by not using certain parts (because not listed, see what Jantjeuh said), although you're allowed to (because the set actually contains the parts).

Example: the 8420 speed bike doesn't list wheels, tyres and 2 other parts.

Example: the 8046 helicopter doesn't list 3 of these contained parts:

4568027.jpg

So everyone: if Brickset shows you an inventory that's not 100% complete, view Rebrickables inventory too.

Now, can I use a set with green parts + a set with red parts? is that ok?

Dude, start building instead of asking strange questions :wink:. If you think the colours appeal to the ones who will vote for your entry, then do it.

Dude, start building instead of asking strange questions :wink:. If you think the colours appeal to the ones who will vote for your entry, then do it.

I just want to make sure I respect all the rules! A better answer would help other partecipants! :thumbup:

I just want to make sure I respect all the rules! A better answer would help other partecipants! :thumbup:

er it doesn't matter what colour the sets are?

a comment said "no color changes" and I was confused, i'm just asking!

"if you think the colours appeal the one who will vote for your entry, then do it" sounds more like an opinion rather than a rule! :tongue:

a comment said "no color changes" and I was confused, i'm just asking!

"if you think the colours appeal the one who will vote for your entry, then do it" sounds more like an opinion rather than a rule! :tongue:

The comment meant to use the original colours of the set not use two sets of the same main colour :classic:

I see I wasn't alone in this about the picture :classic:

I actually quoted the wrong part from the rules in my last reply, was meant to quote this:

The promotional image needs to be clear and crisp image, which really shows the model in it's best way. Think of it as the image on the box. Building a great MOC is one thing, but a decent presentation really helps you to get more votes. Like the Mini Build contest a composite image is allowed.

Which would make more sense with me refering to the Mini contest.

Mbmc's rule is ok with me too, but to illustrate the kind of image I'd be fine with, I take this one from Sariel's GIMP tutorial, which just touches up a photo a little. The guide is easy to follow and only takes a few minutes. Or if your original photo is awesomely lit you might not even need this.

15.jpg

It's up to Jim of course. I am just making a suggestion. It's an awesome competition either way.

I think Jim has enough Info and opinions to know how to decide, but I'd like to agree with Appies proposal as well. Promotional box-like images like they have been produced by TLG themselves are cool, and I have a few skills myself, but Lego is about building.

According to the already given rule, that digital entries aren't allowed, it would be just in line with that to also prohibit too much image adjustment. What about the following balanced compromise:

===============================================================

"Enhancing yes, morphing no"

Examples for enhancing (allowed):

• Remove (part of) the background to have it equally coloured
  • Adjust brightness and contrast

Examples for morphing (disallowed)

• Background replacements
  • Additional logo's

===============================================================

As for box-like images and megablocks-kicking promotional pictures: we all don't know the background of TLG's generosity (those good prices :classic:). Perhaps they are searching for inspiration, new employees, or want to get to know the Technic customers better. In that case it's understandable to have the image-thing. In other cases: Lego is about designing and building, so the best builder needs to win, not an intermediate builder with perfect Photoshop/Gimp/Paint Shop/... skills.

Whatever your decision Jim: thanks for putting so much of your personal time. Those contests really make the forum live, thank you.