Jim

[TC5] Technic C-Model Contest - Information Topic

First step: find a set from 2005+ that I haven't yet done an alternative model on...

Anyhow, cool competition theme. Sounds like a good reason to buy a set :D

To make the contest more competitive I would remove the set with over 1000 pieces ...

Bad idea, Jim? :blush:

Yes that is a bad idea.

What about stickers? Do we have to use the stickers that were part of the original set, on the original parts?

You don't have to use the stickers in the sets that you you use,but if you do want to have you stickers on your model then they need to be from the sets that you use.

Now THIS could get interesting.

...and not just because I have no idea which sets I have that meet the criteria.

Bricklink is your friend. :wink:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

Sorry to add to the plethora of questions, but I do have one question: If we don't have a particular set, but do have the pieces in our inventory, can we use online instructions to determine which pieces we can use from our own inventory?

Edited by dhc6twinotter

Hey guys!

I created a spreadsheet with all the eligible sets! Go check it out and let me know if there's anything I could do to make it better :grin:

LINK

Those are classed as custom parts,custom parts are not allowed in the contest.

Wait, what? If the parts have the original stickers, as applied for the A-model, we can't use them for this?

That would completely eliminate me from this. I generally put all the stickers on all of my sets.

What a great contest! I've never built an alternate model using a Technic set, but I'll have to give a try if I can find the time. Hope I can participate!

J

Sorry to add to the plethora of questions, but I do have one question: If we don't have a particular set, but do have the pieces in our inventory, can we use online instructions to determine which pieces we can use from our own inventory?

Yes I can't see why that would be a problem,but Jim can clarify....

Wait, what? If the parts have the original stickers, as applied for the A-model, we can't use them for this?

That would completely eliminate me from this. I generally put all the stickers on all of my sets.

:devil_laugh: you would not win anyway.... :roflmao:

No "lego made " stickers should not be a problem. :classic:

I have fixed my reply,although Jim is the organizer and has some the final say on the rules.

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

What if I have all the parts for the single set or for both sets to be modeled on for the c model, but not all in the right color. Can It still be entered knowing they are the right parts just slightly wrong in color?

Awesome challenge, I have to choose the set or sets and see if I have the pieces and the good idea :laugh: . Victor where is the 8081 it has 590 pieces and it is a very nice option?.

Edited by jorgeopesi

Hey guys!

I created a spreadsheet with all the eligible sets! Go check it out and let me know if there's anything I could do to make it better :grin:

LINK

I did a similar thing, but my spreadsheet has 87 entries. It looks like you missed some sets...

Sure, no problem!

Yes I can't see why that would be a problem,but Jim can clarify....

:devil_laugh: you would not win anyway.... :roflmao:

No "lego made " stickers should not be a problem. :classic:

I have fixed my reply,although Jim is the organizer and has some the final say on the rules.

Regarding the stickers; no home made stickers, since they are not part of the set(s). The official stickers are optional. You can choose to use them or not. I will add it to the rules.

So is 8287 excluded too?

Yup! I will add it to the rules.

Great competition, printed out VKs useful link and now to go digging through my sets and come up with some thoughts.

Seems like Jim is getting a hard time here for no reason....use common sense on what he had said below.... :wink:

And I thought the rules were pretty simple this time. Just take one or two sets and start building :laugh:

To make the contest more competitive I would remove the set with over 1000 pieces ...

Bad idea, Jim? :blush:

The total part limit is 600 parts, which rules out any set with over 1000 parts?!

And I thought the rules were pretty simple this time. Just take one or two sets and start building :laugh:

The total part limit is 600 parts, which rules out any set with over 1000 parts?!

I misunderstood the rule of the maximum pieces. Basically you can use an official set with a maximum of 600 pieces or two where the sum is 600.

I did a similar thing, but my spreadsheet has 87 entries. It looks like you missed some sets...

Rebrickable shows me only 66? (of which a few aren't even technic, and a few doubles)

Care to share?

Nice contest, my not so big inventory will make this a hard challenge :grin:

You can use this link and use the buttons below to scroll through the years:

http://brickset.com/sets/theme-Technic/year-2014

I misunderstood the rule of the maximum pieces. Basically you can use an official set with a maximum of 600 pieces or two where the sum is 600.

:thumbup:

Just a sidenote: most of the Brickset inventories only contain the replaceable (by LEGO service) parts at the time of addition of the set to the DB, and might be missing quite a few parts. I suggest using BrickLink or Rebrickable instead to see what parts are available for a given set.

Also, feel free to post your C-model on Rebrickable when you've finished it, we always love to have more alternate builds for official sets. So yeah, great idea for a contest once again Ted!

Edited by jantjeuh

I think Mr Tekneex should also be banned as he is just too good at making c models! :laugh:

Thank you!!! I hope not though! :laugh:

It's kind of discriminating that I'm the only one disqualified to compete, but I guess it's flattering as well. Oh well, that's the price one has to pay I suppose when you have a certain reputation. Anyways, good luck everyone and have fun! Looking forward to seeing what you all come up with.

It's kind of discriminating that I'm the only one disqualified to compete, but I guess it's flattering as well. Oh well, that's the price one has to pay I suppose when you have a certain reputation. Anyways, good luck everyone and have fun! Looking forward to seeing what you all come up with.

You could always put an entry in ... I guess you'd just have to accept that you wouldn't get a prize :grin: