Sign in to follow this  
Waterbrick Down

Heroica RPG - Quest #116: The Tale of Two Faces

11349097334_fd73e476ba_t.jpg

"You'll have to give me a moment sir."

A few minutes pass and the attendant returns with an annoyed Bilbert Wigglepike.

heroicanpc-bilbert.jpg

"What is the meaning of this? We're in the middle of final production of Madame Splatterfly."

Hoke uses Diplomacy.

Hoke quickly tips his head to Wigglepike.

"My utmost and sincerest apologies Mr. Wigglepike. I am Hoke Ablesword of Heroica Hall on an assignment with the Town Watch. As I informed the gentleman here, We are in the middle of a case following a rather violent individual and our trail ended at your back door, which we were denied entrance. A detective with the Town Watch is currently obtaining a warrant to search the premises, in force if need be, and I would rather handle this matter discreetly as to not tip off the assailant or to disturb your patrons' evening. Trust me sir, my companions and I are not here to enjoy the performance," Hoke says as he opens his arms wide again, displaying his armor, weapons and gear, "We simply wish to catch this villain before they can do any harm to Eubric, or anyone in this theatre. The assailant just destroyed a wall at the zoo and released crazed animals to run about in mayhem. We are here to stop whoever is behind this, and to ensure the safety of your theatre and patrons."

Edited by UsernameMDM

heroicanpc-bilbert.jpg

"Safety of the theater? The backdoor opens to the main street, do you have evidence that this assailant is in the theater? And what would you have me do? Cancel the performance, refund all of the patrons?"

heroicanpc-bilbert.jpg

"Safety of the theater? The backdoor opens to the main street, do you have evidence that this assailant is in the theater? And what would you have me do? Cancel the performance, refund all of the patrons?"

"His blood is outside your back door, as well as a discarded mask, possibly used to disguise himself. We are looking for someone wounded. Please do not cancel the performance or alert your patrons. Allow us access to the backstage area, and we will quickly and quietly continue our search. How much longer is the performance?"

"His blood is outside your back door, as well as a discarded mask, possibly used to disguise himself. We are looking for someone wounded. Please do not cancel the performance or alert your patrons. Allow us access to the backstage area, and we will quickly and quietly continue our search. How much longer is the performance?"

heroicanpc-bilbert.jpg

"Why would he discard a mask if he was trying to hide? Are you sure you just weren't looking in our waste barrels? Also where was this blood? I'll allow you back stage as Heroica has aided this theater in the past, but if you disrupt the performance in any way, the heads of your organization will hear from me. The performance still has another hour or so. Ask for Oswald Brickspit, he's the backstage manager."

Hoke uses Diplomacy.

"My companions and I would appreciate your immediate cooperation so that we may conduct our affairs covertly. Otherwise the Town Watch will arrive here soon and distupt everything. I am honestly looking out for the best of this theatre and its patrons. Imagine the uproar of dozens of Town Watch forcefully making its way into your theatre to interrogate your patrons. I would rather utilize my delicate and considerate touch over the hard hands of the Town Watch brutes."

heroicanpc-bilbert.jpg

"Like I said, you can speak with Brickspit, but I believe your incursion is unwarranted. If the Watch do end up disrupting tonight's performance, you can be sure whoever advised them in their current course of action will also be dealt with. Now if there are no more questions, I have the finale of the performance to watch."

Sorry, didn't see that last post!

Hoke uses Diplomacy.

"Thank you ever so much Mr. Wigglepike! The blood was in and around the fountain. We were not going through the trash, per se, merely searching for clues. Should I try the backdoor entrance again, or can I access the backstage area from within the theatre without disturbing the performance?"

heroicanpc-bilbert.jpg

"They could have just used the fountain for washing up, you wouldn't believe the amount of street trash we have to shoo away from taking a bath in the thing. You can get backstage through that hallway." Wigglepike indicates a side passage off the lobby. "Did the rest of you have any other questions?"

"Thank you again Mr. Wigglepike."

Hoke makes his way down the side passage to the backstage area.

Edited by UsernameMDM

Benji remains silent as Hoke asks Wigglepike for permission to enter the building without breaking down the door, and Benji follows Hoke down the street to the back entrance.

Hoke and Benji make their way down the back hallway to back stage. A large red curtain separates the ongoing performance from the goings on backstage, a faint aria can be heard floating on the air all around echoing off the stone walls of the theater. A familiar dwarf on stilts greets them.

15477782017_0decdd951c_c.jpg

15647586242_909a61b0b9_t.jpg

"I sort of expected I'd be seeing you folks again soon."

Althior follows his two allies as they make their way down the side passage. He remains silent as he does so. The area around him gets darker as they get closer to the stage, as well as Finnegan's faint glow lighting the path. Heroes rarely came to Master Wigglepike's theatre, it seemed. At least not since the Wolfgang crashed a party a year or so back, or so he had heard. Even then, the details of this corruption-fueled plot were swirling around him, yet he had remained to blind to have seen them. Stepping back and taking a simple job was supposed to help him, yet it only brought things back full circle.

He looks to the dwarf. "Careful there, buddy. Wouldn't want you hurting yourself on those, would we?" He surveys the area, looking for anything peculiar that is out of place. "So, master dwarf, what exactly is this show you're putting on about? We've got a bit of time to kill for now. At least I do,"

Aside from the two possibly familiar looking extras, Althior doesn't note anything out of place, though the back stage of the theater is quite a mess.

"Madame Splatterfly? It's a sad tale about a orcish maiden, Splatterfly, who fell in love with an Elven sailor who wintered in Baltarok with a merchant ship. When spring came the sailor left Splatterfly with child never expecting to see her again. When at chance he did return to Baltarok this time with a wife of his own in tow, Splatterfly, who is still madly in love with the Elf vainly attempts to contact him. Her love is unreturned and in her grief she devours her child and dashes herself upon the cliffs by the sea. A tragedy really, but a classic."

Edited by Waterbrick Down

Benji tries to stop himself from upchucking after hearing the description of the play. After regaining his dignity he turns to the man in green.

"So, what do you do here?"

"I am assuming you are Brickspit? Interesting that people would knowingly come to the theatre only to be depressed."

Hoke checks out the items on the table, the barrels, cauldron, chests and on the clothes rack. He also checks for any sign of water or blood.

"Do you recall who the last person was who came through that door? If so, did they have a disheveled appearance, perhaps like they were just in a fight or did something physically exerting? How about if they had a recently washed face and hands?"

Benji tries to stop himself from upchucking after hearing the description of the play. After regaining his dignity he turns to the man in green.

"So, what do you do here?"

15477102829_9eb4aab6b1_t.jpg

"I act of course!"

15043003834_84a6ecea8b_t.jpg

"I don't think what you do could be called acting, Jacob. More like filling in the background."

"I am assuming you are Brickspit? Interesting that people would knowingly come to the theatre only to be depressed."

Hoke checks out the items on the table, the barrels, cauldron, chests and on the clothes rack. He also checks for any sign of water or blood.

"Do you recall who the last person was who came through that door? If so, did they have a disheveled appearance, perhaps like they were just in a fight or did something physically exerting? How about if they had a recently washed face and hands?"

"Yes, I am Oswald. The last person to come through the door? Would have been Barlin Mando, he's always late, he's always drunk, and he always looks disheveled, the slob."

Hoke investigates the back stage, finding a lot of props, costumes, make-up, and other do-dads but nothing that looks particularly suspicious. The paper is simply a newspaper with the reviews of the current production. There is no sign of blood or water.

"Yes, I am Oswald. The last person to come through the door? Would have been Barlin Mando, he's always late, he's always drunk, and he always looks disheveled, the slob."

"Where is he right now?"

"In his dressing room, but I wouldn't go in their, he tends to be a bit of a drama queen after his last performances."

"In his dressing room, but I wouldn't go in their, he tends to be a bit of a drama queen after his last performances."

"Thank you Brickspit. Gentlemen, if you will."

Hoke nods to Brickspit and heads to the dressing room. Upon arrival, he opens the door as slowly and quietly as possible and takes a peek in.

"Thank you Brickspit. Gentlemen, if you will."

Hoke nods to Brickspit and heads to the dressing room. Upon arrival, he opens the door as slowly and quietly as possible and takes a peek in.

Hoke heads upstairs, Marlo's door however is locked, faint sobbing can be heard inside, followed by a fit of giggles. The quiet tinkling of a bottle hitting a glass is also heard.

Benji follows Hoke, smirking and licking his chops much as a predator would after approaching its prey.

"Maybe we should kno-" Too late.

Althior grabs Hoke by the back of the collar before he busts down the door. "Perhaps a bit of subtlety may be in order here? Veterans don't like me as is, and I don't need another fiasco from Wigglepike on my record," He gets down on his knees and melts the hinges of the door, expending one ether in the process.

Hokes feels getting jerked back just in time for his boot to harmlessly FWOOSH short of the door. Torc hisses at Althior as he pinched her while grabbing Hoke.