Sign in to follow this  
Endgame

Heroica RPG - Quest #115: The Tale of One Bleach Too Many

Vindsval begins to growl out an answer, but at the last moment grits his teeth and takes a deep breath.

We have indeed completed your errand Doctor.

He nearly growls the final word. His teeth nearly crack as he attempts to control his anger at this man who would experiment on his own son.

I apologize for our condition, we had to traverse your sewers to find the source of your "Disturbance."

Would you come speak with us. i find shouting through a door. . . wearisome.

"If you could do me one last favor..." says the doctor cautiously. "Check your arms, legs, and neck for any sort of blotches, rashes... Hives..."

The doctor's voice grows more urgent from behind the door.

"Do it, please. Now."

15358566968_4305524b2c_o.jpg

"Sure thing, doctor."

Salt-Upon-Wounds checks himself.

"There seems to be nothing wrong."

Edited by Goliath

Vindsval Does the same. He immediately finds a number of bite marks from the barrel of leeches. But there is so much filth caked on him from trekking through the sewers that it is hard to see much for certain.

Your Son's "friends" left several marks on my Left arm. They caused little damage. What is it you want us to be looking for exactly?

Edited by Asphalt

"Are they a dark, brownish green?" The doctor inquires.

Vindsval looks down at his hands. All of him is green, what is this sadistic fool asking him. He looks more closely at the arm chewed by the leeches. There does seem to be something strange about the tooth marks. Where there should have been reddened damaged flesh, there was something else. Perhaps, maybe...

They are Bite marks Doctor, all of me is green, but Yes, there does seem to be a strange color to the edges of the wounds.

The Half-Giant continues to look at the wounds on his arm. He pours some water from a drinking flask onto his arm and wipes away some of the grime. With his skin cleaner he can clearly see that there is a brownish discoloration around the edges of the bites. Is it his imagination, or is the discoloration spreading as he looks.

Doctor, What did your experiment do to me? Why are these wounds festering so quickly? WE destroyed what we found there.

"I'm sorry, but if they are as you describe, there is only one cure - and not the pleasant kind. I ask tha you hld still, remain calm, and-"

The party hears the doctor strike a match.

Not finishing his sentence, the door flies open, out stepping Dr. Gryphinn - with, as expected from what they had learned, two arms, the supposedly missing one covered in a black latex sleeve. Before the party can respond to him or the large cleaver he held in his hands, He rushes towards Vindsval, and with an unprecedented swiftness, lops off his arm in a single strike. The half giant has no choice but to stagger back and watch in horro as the Doctor uses the match to scorch the severed limb into ash, the appendage quickly bursting into flames. Before long it would be nothing but charred bone and soot.

The doctor throws both of his tools on the floor, and speaks.

PKQGrnP.png

"You were infected. You somehow contracted Roslia - thankfully, i managed to stop it before you unleashed it on Eubric. What did you do?! Did you go into the quarantine? Why? I demand an explanation, and don't you DARE give me any trouble for that free treatment. If you were half as reasonable as you look, you;d know its the only way! Now, an explanation of what happened!"

Vindsval's rage builds within him. He grasps the bleeding wound that was once his arm, but now ends cleanly at the shoulder.

Wanderer, grant me strength to walk the longer path.

The Holy man falls to his knees and begins to pray. His remaining right arm glows with a golden light. The blood spurting from his shoulder begins to slow, and then to stop. He stands, pale and shaken. His eyes burning from the shock, the pain, and the hatred that has been building for this man.

If it were not for the oaths I have sworn I would strike you down where you stand, no only for this but for your SON as well. We did enter the Quarantine, we followed the spitir of your boy Isaac there. To the source of the disease haunting your home. It was there we found the home of your son's spirit. It was there that it manifested into and incarnation of disease and Pestilence. It was there I was forced to destroy what what left of your boy. A soul corrupted along with his body. It was in the Quarantine that your boy begged us not to hurt his father and to ask for that father's forgiveness. It is because of him you stand, but you will answer. Why did you leave him to die?

PKQGrnP.png

"Leave him to die? I was trying to save his mother! It was never my intention for him to die - If you think delivering a few sparse punishments wasn't worth trying to save his mother, to try and stop a seemingly unstoppable virus, you're delusional.

I got obsessive. I am obsessive. Even now, 'm trying to find a cure for the Twisted Rosalia virus. I thought the cure I called "Bleach" would work.I thought it would erase any and all ailments from the skin... And it did, a bit too well."

Gryphinn clenches the fist of his supposedly amputated arm.

"It blew up, and bleached my arm invisible. Had to pretend it was gone, so none of Eubric's "authorities" would know I had quarantined a deadly disease, and its one victim. I don't trust 'em.

From there, well... Isaac was fed, and I tried to educate him. For a parent trying to cure a disease, I think that's enough." It's clear Gryphinn doesn't fully believe in his last statement, judging by his downcast look.

"I don't know how Isaac died. I legitmately don't know. I found his corpse, doused in Bleach, and disposed of it. Once again, i couldn't get anyone involved with this but me. Maybe paranoia has gotten the better of me, but I know I'm in the right!"

Edited by Endgame

There are times when Vindsval finds it hard to keep his beast subdued, to keep his "humanity" this it putting his will to the test.

He was your son, and now nothing of him remains. Nor does anything remain of this thing you call the Twisted Rosalia. IT was your boy's restless spirit that was animating the discarded remants of your past works. It was him reaching out to you. That is what was "distracting" you from your work. Your child trying to speak with you again. For all you did, he died loving you. You will honor his memory, you will do all that you are able to make this thing right in His eyes. The disruptions will bother you no longer good doctor.

He reaches into his pouch and removes the syringe and bottle of "possible cure" He tosses them at the doctor's feet.

I want nothing more to do with those. Give us what you promised us for our service.

He looks at the severed stump that was once his left arm

Though you took much from me, I will not hold it against you. For the sake of your boy.

"Look, doctor, we had no choice but to stop the Rosalia Pestilence before it had the chance to escape. If anything, you should be thanking us for dealing with your dirty work! If people found out about this, they'd say your mad and demand your execution! I'm sure you wouldn't like that to happen so pay up and let us be on our way."

PKQGrnP.png

"...Then at least we have come to an agreement. May Isaac's soul rest in peace, along with his mother's. Now..."

Gryphinn throws a bag of 120 gold to each hero.

"Some extra gold, for your trouble... And insurance. Now, out."

The Quest is Succesful. The party may return to the hall if they have nothing else they'd like to do.

Vindsval snatches the pouch out of the air with his single remaining arm.

He turns and walks towards the door with Salt-Upon-Wounds. He then looks down at his companion.

I know not whether to pity or despise that man. He has caused the deaths of those whom he should have protected at all costs. He takes what he will with no regard, and deems himself justified with self-delusion. I hope he one day realizes what he becomes. Is it petty to wish it to haunt him? Wanderer light his path.

He shrugs and winces, the movement stretching the tender flesh at his shoulder.

What are your plans now my friend? Now that you have had your first taste of what the cultured of this city have to offer?

"Thanks doctor but I believe everything I have should go to Vindsval. I must admit I have become overwhelmed by this experience and, as much as I admit it was fun, I don't think I'm cut out for it. I'll return back home in the mountains and help out my people. It's not everyday you encounter a Hobgoblin like myself so please, don't forget about me."

Salt-Upon-Wounds gifts Vindsval all items in inventory and all gold.

May the Wanderer guide you in all things Earthbound. I shall remember you well. Now let us leave this place.

He looks back over his shoulder at the pile of cinders on the floor.

And let us never have need of this doctor again. I must find a true healer, or at least an exceeding clever one.

"Farewell, Vindsval. Let these items help you through your time of need as well. Tread lightly, Vindsval, and you too, doctor."