Renderbricks

Photoreal LEGO Rendering with MECABRICKS

Materials are important but you can also play with the lights, post - processing, point of view, scene setup, depth of field, motion blur, etc. And the thing is that zanna is awesome at setting all these things to bring the model to life!

Edited by Scrubs

These days I'm rendering some Star Wars model (like UmbraManis!) :tongue:

Have a look to the spoilers!

Lego Super Star Destroyer (10221)

23176489221_6ea9e2564b_b.jpg

by Gabriele Zannotti, su Flickr

Lego Y-wing Attack Starfighter (10134)

22727995580_1342151ebd_b.jpg

Lego Star Destroyer - comparison

23002984246_d159e583e8_b.jpg

Lego Imperial Shuttles - comparison

22380566478_76dafaa851_b.jpg

Click on the photos for HD and if you like them follow me! :laugh:

:wub:

Fantastic renders again. The first one looks very lively, with the flames coming out the back and the different tones in the background.. The others look a bit static. How about maybe putting stars in the background, so they look like actually flying through space?

Edited by 6ix

Well, I've just completed my first Blender render - any word on when edge bevels will be built into the materials/shader pack to render the Collada files with? I already want them to be just a tad better...

Just tried this out, WOW. Loads better than LDD, although I do have a few issues -

- I can't drag and auto-place a brick on another place. They're off center most of the time and I have to type in the X/Y/Z-axis to get it right.

- From what I can see, there's no "drag and rotate" tool, and when I DO rotate a brick, the brick on top doesn't turn with it.

- Is there any way to add custom decals?

- Something with joints.

- A small model can take HOURS to make because of all of the above things.

Other than that, I LOVE this.

Edited by CM4Sci

Thanks 6ix! :classic:

I agree with you, in fact the last 3 models are only still-life :tongue:

When I have more time I try to make lively renders!

Phoxtane, I suggest you to use Scrubs's template, he found an option to bevel bricks.

CM4Sci, yes, Mecabricks is a very powerful tool.

When I started using it for the first time I thought «Naa... LDD is easier». Now I can build complex models very fast!

You only have to understand how to use it.

There is the "drag and rotate" tool. When you select the piece you should press M. You'll change "Translation mode" to "Rotation mode".

To rotate multiple bricks you should group them or make a multiple selection.

There is no way to add custom decals on Mecabricks, you can only redraw official Lego® textures and send them to Scrubs

But if you want to render your model with your custom decoration, just replace it after you've downloaded the model :wink:

If you have any doubt or suggestion you can write here :laugh:

CM4Sci, yes, Mecabricks is a very powerful tool.

When I started using it for the first time I thought «Naa... LDD is easier». Now I can build complex models very fast!

You only have to understand how to use it.

There is the "drag and rotate" tool. When you select the piece you should press M. You'll change "Translation mode" to "Rotation mode".

To rotate multiple bricks you should group them or make a multiple selection.

There is no way to add custom decals on Mecabricks, you can only redraw official Lego® textures and send them to Scrubs

But if you want to render your model with your custom decoration, just replace it after you've downloaded the model :wink:

If you have any doubt or suggestion you can write here :laugh:

Indeed it is!

By dragging I mean I can just click a brick, it moves with my cursor, and when I place it near a piece with studs it automatically connects. This doesn't do that and it takes me like an extra minute to type in the exact decimals to get it right. Some bricks also have gaps in between.

Also, I can't really group select without getting 2-3 extra surrounding bricks in my selection. LDD has a "box" that when "highlighted" by that box it shows which bricks are being selected. This doesn't have that.

Hello,

Just a short answer for now as i am with my phone. Mecabricks has a system to attach bricks properly. It uses the points that appear when you move your mouse over a part. You can check this video I made:

You can also select multiple part by holding the control key and clicking parts.

You can find more information in this thread: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=69050

Edited by Scrubs

Benny got something new :laugh:

ZDqyKD.jpg

Rebuild with MECABRICKS, Stickers made with Corel Draw and Pixelmator, Render done with Blender. Thnx Scrubs for MECABRICKS with the great export function.

I'm having issues with the template; for whatever reason, I can't run the script that applies the shaders to the model, and the colors are all weird because of it. I can't seem to figure out how to NOT make this happen, as it was working fine yesterday. It says to check the console when the python script fails, but I'm not seeing a console anywhere...

Edited by Phoxtane

I'm having issues with the template; for whatever reason, I can't run the script that applies the shaders to the model, and the colors are all weird because of it. I can't seem to figure out how to NOT make this happen, as it was working fine yesterday. It says to check the console when the python script fails, but I'm not seeing a console anywhere...

Maybe you changed the name of some folder, or you didn't group parts with the Empty Object called Model... there should be other reasons... did you follow correctly

tutorial? :wink:

Maybe you changed the name of some folder, or you didn't group parts with the Empty Object called Model... there should be other reasons... did you follow correctly

tutorial? :wink:

It was the grouping thing - I was grouping them under Bricks, not Model!

My turn to add a render I made today. I tried to make a little scene and play with lighting and compositor to render this cute little monkey. it is 100% made with Blender.

23460889066_902623890b_c.jpg

2016 Monkey by Nicolas Jarraud, on Flickr

Here's a rough and fast test with a iPhone backplate, 3D Camera Track and the Millennium Falcon UCE from MECABRICKS. Works pretty nice.

That's incredible virtualrepublic :wacko:

Your 3D skills are without limits!

Keeping in theme, here is my last render: AT-AT built by dinankou (in Mecabricks) :wink:

23124700234_106361906d_h.jpg

Do you think Mecabricks could handle a model as big as Datsville?

I haven't been able to achieve more than a few frames per second in LeoCAD, and worse in LDView. Thanks.