Robert8

Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them Film Discussion

The American school is supposed to be founded on Indigenous North American people's magic. Each of the animals/beings are from the folklore and mythology of various tribes. I will grant you the tripleknot looks strange and more celtic however considering the Irish were a massive immigrant group to the Continental US, I would imagine there would also be Irish witches and wizards and whatnot. If there were I would bet they would include some of their culture as well.

Okay, so the animals are Native American and the art style is celtic, got it. Thanks!

Edit: As I went to look for an example of some celtic knots, look what I found:

Pangur-ban.gif?5a7560

It's a called a "Pangur ban", I guess.

hqdefault.jpg

Here is a celtic knot snake Trinity symbol. (Note: The Trinity symbol was created to represent God, so why would they use this for a wizarding symbol?)

I just wanted to post these as this shows that these houses look to have come straight from Ireland rather than America, which makes sense since the school was founded by an Irish girl...

Edited by RAKRONDEWL

So something interesting to think about, since ilvermorny only has a house system because the founder dreamed of going to Hogwarts, I wonder how the other Wizarding schools sort their students? (If they do at all) I wish we had more info on beaxbatons and durmstrang too.

And there will another school in Brazil too.

As far as I know, Beaxbatons and Durmstrang don't sort their students on houses

Shame it's not in England, seeing Hogwarts (Whoops that's Scotland, I guess a revised edition might be) Shame it's not in Britain, seeing Hogwarts in the 30s/40s (whenever this is set) would be cool.

Columbus

I actually think it's good for the brand to be set outside of Europe. It helps expand the world and stay fresh. It's not like Hogwarts has changed much since then anyway.

The house elves are back!

The soundtrack is amazing and the acting and humour compliment it nicely.

Now all we need is for Lego to do some sets on this movie!

Looks awesome right? I mean how many Mystical Creatures do we have now? 9 / 10 ?

I want to like the trailer and be excited for this movie, but I just...I can't. It simply doesn't do anything for me.

From the trailers, it feels an awful lot like the last few HP movies, which were collectively generic, boring, cliche, and overall dull and awful IMO. I couldn't bring myself to even finish the final two, I found them so lifeless; I'd rather be chained to a couch and have my eyelids stapled open to watch Peter Jackson's The Hobbit: Part Five on endless loop.

I figure the common thread that makes the final half of the HP saga so bad for me was that they all had David Yates as the director. As it turns out, he also directed this. I will probably see FB eventually, but I'm having a hard time mustering up any real enthusiasm for it.

I want to like the trailer and be excited for this movie, but I just...I can't. It simply doesn't do anything for me.

From the trailers, it feels an awful lot like the last few HP movies, which were collectively generic, boring, cliche, and overall dull and awful IMO. I couldn't bring myself to even finish the final two, I found them so lifeless; I'd rather be chained to a couch and have my eyelids stapled open to watch Peter Jackson's The Hobbit: Part Five on endless loop.

I figure the common thread that makes the final half of the HP saga so bad for me was that they all had David Yates as the director. As it turns out, he also directed this. I will probably see FB eventually, but I'm having a hard time mustering up any real enthusiasm for it.

Aren't you kind of overreacting here? I mean you could've said that in a slightly less hatefull way,

Anyway they've said this one will differ from the HP movies, so maybe that brings you to seeing it?

The last two Harry Potter movies are actually pretty good...at least part 1 is. Way better than that inaccurate hobbit trilogy trash. I mean, have you read the books...? That might be part of your problem. I also don't see at all how they're generic or cliche.

Aren't you kind of overreacting here? I mean you could've said that in a slightly less hatefull way,

Anyway they've said this one will differ from the HP movies, so maybe that brings you to seeing it?

Obviously there was some exaggeration there. I don't really want my eyes stapled open :tongue: Sorry, though; I realize that came off a little offensive.

I hope FB is different, but the trailer doesn't give me much of an indication that it will be.

The last two Harry Potter movies are actually pretty good...at least part 1 is. Way better than that inaccurate hobbit trilogy trash. I mean, have you read the books...? That might be part of your problem. I also don't see at all how they're generic or cliche.

I have read the books for both series, but accuracy (or the lack thereof) doesnt really bother me. (Although I think The Hobbit would have benefited from being more accurate, if for nothing more than that it would have given the story more focus. :sceptic:)

With the HP films, however, I just felt like the last few of them were too...dour? There was a dearth of fun for me. Light-hearted moments felt forced, adventures didn't feel adventuresome, and real character emotion felt like it was suppressed behind trying to make characters look emotional. Everything gets smoothed over with grey and nothing seems to have much of a distinct flavor anymore. I suppose that is mostly why I lay blame with the director, because the elements are there for something fun and memorable and engaging, but the final product doesn't really deliver to me.

Like I said, I want to like FB, but I just can't seem to when the trailers make this movie feel so samey to exactly what I didn't like about the others.

Edited by rodiziorobs

Obviously there was some exaggeration there. I don't really want my eyes stapled open :tongue: Sorry, though; I realize that came off a little offensive.

I hope FB is different, but the trailer doesn't give me much of an indication that it will be.

Hey, that's cool man, everyone has their opinion.

To be fair, i want to see more of Fantastic Beasts, this could be a real hit or otherwise, but since this is her first Screenplay, i think this movie will be better, since the author actually had creative control over the movie.

Also, no comparing, "Oh, this was better in the book!" since there is no book for this one :grin:

My biggest fear is that this movie's premise can't carry it through the entirety of it's length. The idea of a bunch of magical creatures running loose in 1920's New York sounds awesome on paper. I just hope there's more to it than that.

Even though I should, by all rights, be excited for this... I despise the two movies Rowling and Yates worked together on. I've heard that they didn't actually cut anything out of Deathly Hallows... so the end result was oppressively grim, with the first half boring and the second half ridiculous and over-the-top without being fun in the slightest. Yeah. Entertainment should be entertaining in some way, guys. I can't truthfully say I want to watch a movie like those again, so if FB is anything like them, I'll just ignore it. On the other hand, if the concept of "monsters running amuck in 20's New York" manages to work, maybe I will give it a watch on DVD.

I actually love Deathly Hallows 2. :look: I know it was dark but it felt like the great culmination of the story (I rewatched it today :grin:). It has some great, action packed and memorable moments (like McGonagall bringing the statues to life or death of Voldemort).

Deathly Hallows 1 on the other hand... yeah, it was rather meh.

I may be slightly more forgiving because I'm a huge fan of both books and movies from HP series.

As for Fantastic Beasts I can't wait for it. It is in my top 3 most anicipated movies for the rest of the year (along with Suicide Squad and Rouge One). :sweet:

Edited by Krulis

Even though I should, by all rights, be excited for this... I despise the two movies Rowling and Yates worked together on. I've heard that they didn't actually cut anything out of Deathly Hallows... so the end result was oppressively grim, with the first half boring and the second half ridiculous and over-the-top without being fun in the slightest. Yeah. Entertainment should be entertaining in some way, guys. I can't truthfully say I want to watch a movie like those again, so if FB is anything like them, I'll just ignore it. On the other hand, if the concept of "monsters running amuck in 20's New York" manages to work, maybe I will give it a watch on DVD.

Actually, they cut a few scenes from Deathly Hallows. One of them was Dudley's goodbye to Harry from the book. You can find them on YouTube. And I have no idea if you read the books but they do get progressively darker towards the end so if you want anyone to blame for the darkness of the last two films, blame JK Rowling and not David Yates.

Even though I should, by all rights, be excited for this... I despise the two movies Rowling and Yates worked together on. I've heard that they didn't actually cut anything out of Deathly Hallows...

Yeah that's not true at all.....like literally at all. Many things were cut. Many very, very important things. The last movie is meh, deathly hallows part 1 is fantastic even if it's "boring". Maybe you should read the books.

Edited by Ultron

What the final movie did to the Battle of Hogwarts was an abomination. No house elves, Harry not making dramatic use of the cloak, the ridiculous jump off the tower, not having the final showdown in front of everyone, bleh.

But anyway, I liked the new trailer for this and am pretty excited. I might even pick up the Dimensions set (but I'd try to sell off the game part).

I have read the books. Twice. I didn't know that they cut a couple of things... sorry... my bad. I wasn't a huge fan of the grimness of the last book, although I did enjoy it... those 2 movies tried to be much more book-accurate, and they have their moments, but I didn't think they worked as movies. Not least because half of the plot doesn't make any sense if you only focus on the movies--they cut so much stuff out, the plot threads weren't there to be picked up by an adaptation that disregards all 4 middle movies in favor of the book. I did read Deathly Hallows before watching it, and splitting it in half was a bad call. 5 hours of a 700 page book means over an hour of camping and a whole lot of a final battle that takes place at night, and focuses too little on the actual battle, right down to 5 minutes of flashbacks in the middle of it. Not to mention far too much of that breaking-into-the-bank sequence. I say it's OK when taken as just an adaptation of the book, but it does a really, really bad job of ending a series of movies.