Robert8

Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them Film Discussion

Wow. I remember the book was about 50 pages. That's about 3 times as much content stretching as even The Hobbit!

I seem to remember the book was a little thin thing released as part of her commitment to Comic Relief along with Quidditch Through The Ages.

As both books were just listings these will be totally new content and a great way for us to see more of the wizarding world and as it's only 70 years before Harry I'm sure there'll be appearances of many of the older Hogwarts teachers.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised that Newt's adventures took him over a long period of research almost up until a certain Tom Riddle made his way to Hogwarts.

I know the book seemed to have a longer shelf life in the original HP books but you never know what things they'll retcon into these.

I would like to see Grindelwald as the main villain for once.

I think he is an interesting and unexplored character with great potential.

A movie about the first war against Voldemort would be great as well.

Thanks a lot, Peter Jackson. Now look at what you did.

:tongue:

(but seriously, now it seems like every time someone makes a prequel trilogy to really good movies the prequel trilogy sucks.)

True, there is the likelihood that this series will not be good. Especially when compared to the original series they produced. But I am hopeful. HP is my favorite line, so I'll keep an open mind until I see it.

Granted, I didn't like the Hobbit book and I went into the Hobbit with an open mind and was bored out of my mind...so who knows with this.

Desolation of Smaug was only slightly better, but that was because of Evangeline Lilly.

Edited by TheLegoDr

I have hope these movies will be good. JK Rowling is penning them herself and she gave us 7 fantastic books that will last for generations. I have a feeling these movies will be just as good. And it's not a prequel trilogy. It's just set before the events of the other books/movies. I'd classify a prequel as something that deals more with the first wizarding war, Harry's parents, the order being founding, etc. I am glad Peter Jackson is staying far from these though. He'd find a way to put his own, stupid twist on it. Probably with a dumb love triangle that shouldn't/couldn't ever exist. Wait...that sounds familiar..

Great news. I hope these live up to the other Hp trilogy.

Perhaps Lego may consider doing a small line on this. If it proves to be succesful.

I have hope these movies will be good. JK Rowling is penning them herself and she gave us 7 fantastic books that will last for generations. I have a feeling these movies will be just as good. And it's not a prequel trilogy. It's just set before the events of the other books/movies. I'd classify a prequel as something that deals more with the first wizarding war, Harry's parents, the order being founding, etc. I am glad Peter Jackson is staying far from these though. He'd find a way to put his own, stupid twist on it. Probably with a dumb love triangle that shouldn't/couldn't ever exist. Wait...that sounds familiar..

David Yates is directing all three, plus the screenwriter is going to be the same guy who did all eight potter movies. From what I understand the trilogy is going to be about newt scamander researching and writing the Fantastic Beasts book. Whether there is any connection to the potter movies remains to be seen but I wouldn't be surprised to see at least a younger version of a certain professor.

I like the idea of having a few trilogies about past events but I would rather not see one about the first war with voldemort. I think the eight books did a good job of giving us the relevant information. I would much rather see movies that occur after the deathly hollows so we get something new and not a hobbit rehash.

Though I am eagerly awaiting these movies, I somehow feel nothing can beat the original Harry Potter series... That was too good to be replicated again.

That looks like a Harry Potter - Doctor Who crossover. And the wand looks a bit basic, I hope that changes.

That looks excellent. That from looks a tiny bit like Dumbledore's Office, interesting to see where this will take off.

If you look at the bottom you can see what looks like the Seal of the United States Congress, but it looks a little off.

Also, this film is supposed to take place during the 1930's, right? So Newt's outfit looks totally inline with that era. I'm actually really digging the outfit.

First image of Fantastic Beasts!

0d6fe145c7654f1684ed7c6333e60918.jpg

More proof that Matt Smith should be playing the role. Eddie Redmayne looks uncomfortable in that costume, whereas it would really suit Matt Smith. He looks like the kind of character Matt Smith would play perfectly but Eddie Redmayne would likely struggle with (he's better at the dramatic roles as opposed to playing characters in fantasy films).

Also, this film is supposed to take place during the 1930's, right? So Newt's outfit looks totally inline with that era. I'm actually really digging the outfit.

I would say his hair looks a little modern, but I'm not very well-versed in 1930's men's haircuts. Especially not British ones (if they differed from America).

Even from just this one image, I'm excited for this. I love period pieces, and fantasy, and the Harry Potter universe, so the combination of those three sounds wonderful. I'm so glad they're willing to commit to the 1930's setting for a full period piece too; just being in a different era can make films of this genre more fun than if they were in modern day. Like Terminator Genisys - would've been so much better if it had stuck to the 80s. Or maybe it would've sucked anyway. I have more hope for Fantastic Beasts.

Image looks great. I also think the movie is set in 1920's, if that makes a difference. JK Rowling also revealed the American version of the word "Muggle"; It's "No-Maj". I like it! Side note, why don't we change the title of this discussion to "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them Film Discussion"?

If you look at the bottom you can see what looks like the Seal of the United States Congress, but it looks a little off.

It's actually the "Magical Congress of the United States of America" or MACUSA. Their Ministry of Magic, I suppose?

Edited by Ultron

This looks, um, fantastic ( :grin:)! Initially, I was a little sceptical about the casting since, unlike Harry Potter, there weren't that many famous high-profile actors involved (apart from Redmayne and Farrell), but now that Jon Voight and Ron Perlman have joined the cast, I'm relieved :laugh: Don't get me wrong, a cast of well-known actors doesn't guarantee a great film (*cough* Transcendence *cough*), but the HP movies really shined in that regard and I hoped they'd continue that tradition :thumbup: