Robert8

Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them Film Discussion

Just because they're camping/on the run for a bit doesn't automatically make it bad though. They had some really nice scenes there, like Harry/Hermione dancing, Ron leaving, Splinching, etc. Granted, none of the later movies can recapture the magic that Chris Columbus set with the first two perfect movies, which is a shame. I wish he had been chosen for FB, although I'm sure Yates will do a good job. It's coming directly from Rowling, so it's a bit different of a process.

those 2 movies tried to be much more book-accurate, and they have their moments, but I didn't think they worked as movies. Not least because half of the plot doesn't make any sense if you only focus on the movies...

I agree with your entire comment, here, especially your thoughts on the pacing of Deathly Hallows. But I only quoted the above part because I feel this way about a lot of adaptations: while it seems like a lot of people worry about how accurately source material is depicted (my wife, for example, is a book-purist) I would rather see a book that has been well-adapted to the medium than faithful to the original. Film is film and you can't always do the same things as in a book, and your audience consumes it differently.

Probably my favorite example is The Hunt for Red October; the book and movie are completely different, yet each relies on its format to tell their story. The movie does not try to work in every technical detail or side-plot that the book has, yet by paring away some parts manages to keep the same intensity and tone.

So, maybe since FB doesn't really have much in the way of source material, the director won't get so caught up in it and can focus on making a good movie, rather than merely a faithful adaptation? I hope so.

none of the later movies can recapture the magic that Chris Columbus set with the first two perfect movies, which is a shame. I wish he had been chosen for FB, although I'm sure Yates will do a good job. It's coming directly from Rowling, so it's a bit different of a process.

There is something magic (pun not intended) about the first two, but I can't put my finger on it. Apparently Chris Columbus didn't stay on (nor Cuaron after him) because Rowling wanted British directors for the series.

Sadly I get a very George Lucas vibe from Rowling lately--like she can't stop meddling with her own work. Soon we'll probably get a Special Edition that makes people say "Harry shot first" :hmpf:

Edited by rodiziorobs

There is something magic (pun not intended) about the first two, but I can't put my finger on it. Apparently Chris Columbus didn't stay on (nor Cuaron after him) because Rowling wanted British directors for the series.

Sadly I get a very George Lucas vibe from Rowling lately--like she can't stop meddling with her own work. Soon we'll probably get a Special Edition that makes people say "Harry shot first" :hmpf:

I think a lot of the magic is the beautiful score from Williams and the fantastic cinematography for the time. Rewatching them I get goosebumps in parts where you'd never expect (Like Fawkes coming to Harry's rescue in CoS. Totally weird moment to get emotional over but idk there's something about those movies that strikes a particular chord. I'm sure the nostalgia helps too :laugh: ) I think Rowling is fine for now..As long as the quality is consistent in what she's adding I'll be on board. Also, no retconning and stuff.

3 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Fantastic Beasts will be a pentalogy and it feature Dumbledore and Grindelwald

Source

Yes I heard about that today. Considering we haven't even seen the first film yet, it seems strange that we have already been promised four more after it. And to be honest, I don't have a lot of excitement for Fantastic Beasts compared to the other Potter films, since it isn't related to any of the books I have no clue what to expect. I think the premise and setting looks good, but I don't know how this story will play out.

I think it's great to hear that we'll be seeing more of Dumbledore and Grindewald, something that was only really touched upon in the Deathly Hallows.

I think a Pentalogy definitely does run the risk of "Will each film live up to its predecessor?"

As a fan of this universe, the five movie idea makes me happy. I'm excited to explore another part/era of it.

4 hours ago, Vindicare said:

As a fan of this universe, the five movie idea makes me happy. I'm excited to explore another part/era of it.

I think with the main Harry Potter series you can see JK Rowling does only the number of books/films/whatsoever to tell the story.

I really like Rowling's decision :thumbup: The first movie takes place in New York but the sequels may broaden the scope. Since Newt is a Magizoologist it'd make a lot of sense for him to travel around the world, looking for fantastic beasts to study, thus allowing for a variety of storylines to happen. Maybe he's even in a different continent in each installment :grin: The only problem in this scenario is the lack of an overarching plot, but I don't really see them following the Second Salemer plot over five movies either :wink:

So, the name of the second film is Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

Is it just me or the name could have been better?

20 hours ago, Robert8 said:

So, the name of the second film is Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

Is it just me or the name could have been better?

It doesn't have quite the catchiness as the first one, does it? It kinda clicked together.  

It could have been "Grindelwald: a Harry Potter story" :hmpf:.

Although that would make more sense. Its like they feel pressed to keep using the FBAWTFT title, even though the series has gone off in a different direction than when they first started.

I’m apprehensive of every movie beginning with Fantastic Beasts: *insert title here*. Especially because we know that the core 5 will matter less and less as time goes on. This is a series primarily about Grindelwald’s rise to power, and I think the beasts will certainly be sidelined as time passes. However, I loved the first movie (much better than the HP movies for me, Yates couldn’t screw up another amazing book when he made the FB movie) and I’m excited for the second. My main worry is Johnny Depp playing Grindelwald. Johnny Depp is a horrible choice for Grindelwald, and I’m shocked that J.K. Rowling would choose to keep an alleged abuser in a main role in a five part film series. Grindelwald is meant to be charming and seductive- people follow him because of the allure he provides and his passionate ideas. He has so much more humanity than Voldemort, who only had followers because of his power. I feel like all of that humanity is lost with Depp playing him. Colin Farrell would’ve been a much better actor to play Grindelwald for the whole series. My other worry is about the Dumbledore/Grindelwald love story. That’s an extremely important part of their relationship and why it took Dumbledore years before he finally faced his old friend. However, Hollywood doesn’t seem to be ready to go all-out with any LGBT+ characters, and I don’t think J.K. Rowling will be the one to spearhead the change. I expect no mention of their love and Rowling to just say something like “he was trying to move on and forget about it, which is why it’s not present in the movies”, and that would really bother me. 

So, new trailer is out

It looks fantastic, even if we know where this is going

But I'm thinking Dumbledore is hiding something. 

It seems we'll see Aberforth and Ariana until the third film

On 14.3.2018 at 12:09 AM, Robert8 said:

So, new trailer is out

It looks fantastic, even if we know where this is going

But I'm thinking Dumbledore is hiding something. 

It seems we'll see Aberforth and Ariana until the third film

Ariana was already dead 27 years before the history of FB 1 started, but maybe you mean in a flashback :blush:

I remember some articles were saying something about the film looking for actors to play young Dumbledore and Grindlewald so we may even see them in this film.

On 4/5/2018 at 9:08 AM, Roebuck said:

Ariana was already dead 27 years before the history of FB 1 started, but maybe you mean in a flashback :blush:

Yeah, I meant flashbacks. If they are going to tell Grindelwald/Dumbledore story, a flashback from that fight is mandatory

On 4/4/2018 at 4:00 PM, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

Probably his love for Grindelwald.

From what I've been reading, I think they'll probably retcon that to Grindelwald and Dumbledore being just friends

I assume the girl behind Newt in the boggart scene is Leta Lestrange and she is stiff with fear, so I wonder what she will see (definitely not a desk)..

This trailer looks very promising and I´m very excited for the movie.

We finally see a Lethifold at 1:19.

This creature at 1:56 maybe is a Kelpie.

The bird at 2:10 looks like the one from RIO.:wink:

pic_detail4dd075862ff59.png

This reminds me of Aberforth when he told Harry about how Dumbledore's schemes and heroic plans didn't end up well for his proteges

He was totally talking about the events from this movie

I wonder if Dumbledore's plan will get Newt killed at some point

It would AWESOME for storyline, but it would be the last nail in the coffin for Dumbledore's reputation. One of the things I remember the most from reading the Harry Potter books was the devasting feeling I had when the final book came out and Dumbledore's sordid secrets were revealed. It was like a punch right in the guts. 

I think this Fantastic Beasts will transition from being Newt's story to being Dumbledore's. I wonder when this is going to happen