garethjellis

British Rail - Class 73 Locomotive

My Version of the British Rail Class 73 electro-diesel locomotives.

This Lego model is 8 wide, has 2 L Power functions motors with 6000mah Li-Ion battery pack., IR receiver ad 1407 total parts.

The class 73 is a very unusual locomotive in that they can operate from a 750 V DC third-rail supply but also have a diesel engine to allow them to operate on non-electrified routes. This makes them very versatile, although the diesel engine produces less power than is available from the third-rail supply so they rarely stray from the former Southern Region of British Rail. Following the withdrawal of the more powerful Class 74 electro-diesels in 1977, the Class 73 is now unique on the British rail system.

Class73railfreightwithIRa.png

images.jpg

I like the way you havedone the front. I have two class 73s myself one in green livery and one in blue, but I think your front is better than mine. I know when building the first one I had real trouble trying to get it right and built it over a dozen times I reckon before getting something I thought was acceptable. I still don't like my dangly pipe cbling bits at the front anf yours looks much better just using those straight tools. I tried to use the tap parts (4599b on Bricklink and levers 4592c02 on Bricklink.) but they are not so clean, I may have to swap them out seeing yours. Looks good!

Hi Hrw-Amen, I would love to see your version, I really like to see others modeling of the same train, I learn alot of tricks and tips of building that way.

Great build, love the render. So much better than those LDD-exports everybody seems to put online these days. Good thinking with the chishels and screwdrivers on the front to represent the hoses.

Just wondering: Why did you use on the roof at some places the 1x6 curves, and sometimes the cheese slopes and 4x1 curves?

Hey "raised", i wanted to try an capture the paneled roof on the 73, the photo that I posted below shows those panels better than the original. I am please to say that I am starting the brick build tonight.

8284507951_e45ca1a8d7_z.jpg

Hi Hrw-Amen, I would love to see your version, I really like to see others modeling of the same train, I learn alot of tricks and tips of building that way.

I will at some point get photos on my flickr account. However I am not sure they are as good as your version, also they are like the rest of my stuff 7 studs wide in general. But I will get them up eventually.

1 hour ago, spy1101001 said:

What are the bricks with the little holes??

sPy from Oz

Those are actually the modified tiles with the grill pattern on them placed sideways. You can kind of see the inside of the opposite side along the wiring on the right side.

4 hours ago, spy1101001 said:

What are the bricks with the little holes??

sPy from Oz

i.e. part 2412b placed end-on, with bricks built over their tops.