mccoyed

The Amphitheater of Ruadh

15322803600_0e422ab959_z.jpg

One of the common spaces in Ruadh, this amphitheater (also known as the Ruadh Forum) hosts scholars, orators, philosophers, and teachers from all around Historica. Today, a young woman debates the esoteric metaphysical claims of a long-dead Nocturnian mystic. Many have come to hear the debate and learn, others to have a bit of wine and victuals in attractive company.

15506384371_15dd5a7664_z.jpg

Since the space is public and free to all, the philosophers must shout competitively over the capering of a juggler and the self-involved bleating of a lecher with a horn.

15506384521_fbc3ea3ef7_z.jpg

Most boys would probably prefer a nice apple to whatever that merchant is selling.

Phew. Been a while since I've done a GoH build. Sorry about that! This one was discussed with SarahJoy about a month ago and was thus a relatively long-planned comeback build after all my inactivity of late. Destiny + new school year = Lego lull. I hope everyone (especially SarahJoy!) likes this one and thank you for looking!

C&C always welcome, of course. Especially since this is my first Kali build. I've now officially done a build in every Guild!

Beautiful moc, mccoyed! It has a very clean look. I particularly like the seating arrangement. Nice use of that prologue Vitruvius minifig :wink:

Beautiful minifig combos! Your amphitheater has the perfect curve to it also!

Great build, the ampitheater is really well done, and I really like the inclusion of a Joshua tree in the background :)

Beautiful moc, mccoyed! It has a very clean look. I particularly like the seating arrangement. Nice use of that prologue Vitruvius minifig :wink:

Thanks! That "bleacher" structure was incredibly hard to get right. Took 3 hours of fiddling.

Beautiful minifig combos! Your amphitheater has the perfect curve to it also!

Thanks MK. It wasn't easy!

Great build, the ampitheater is really well done, and I really like the inclusion of a Joshua tree in the background :)

Yeah, I wanted to give a shoutout to SarahJoy's design because it's awesome and feels like a signature for Ruadh to me.

Very nice! The figs (especially that philosopher) are great, and the Joshua tree really makes it feel Ruadhic.

Thanks!

Cool idea for a moc and well executed. The figs are brilliant and the seatings nicely done.

Thanks!

It really captures the Kaliphlin feel - and from what I have seen so far, it fits perfectly in Ruadh!

The Greco-Roman style really has a lot to offer and I feel inspired to try something myself one of these days! :thumbup:

Nice little build, the curved amphitheatre looks great, and i love the diversity of the minifigs,

Love this MOC.

Love the curved balcony, love the little stand, love the figs!

Congratulations mccoyed.

This is awesome! Such a great concept, and the build really does it justice.

The curved steps of the amphitheater are nicely done. All the minifigs create a lively, vibrant scene, giving life to both the build and Ruadh. The desert details like the small dunes and dusty ground, while small, are very effective in anchoring the Forum in its landscape. And of course the joshua tree is such a thoughtful addition!

Great idea! The first one i Historica?

Love the result! The curved stands and all the posings of the minifigs! :wub:

Excellent build! I like the small scenes with the minifigs within the build and how you've made it instantly recognizable to be in Ruadh by including that tree :classic:

I tried my hand at a similar technique last year, but I cheated a bit by covering up the gaps with minifigs :wink:

Not sure how you did it, but this feels both busy and a bit relaxed. Nice work on that curve too, the necessary gaps aren't too noticeable.

It really captures the Kaliphlin feel - and from what I have seen so far, it fits perfectly in Ruadh!

The Greco-Roman style really has a lot to offer and I feel inspired to try something myself one of these days! :thumbup:

Thanks and I agree re: Greco-Roman. Would love to see more of it in Historica.

Very good looking piece of work, very lively feel to it!

Thanks Tomsche!

Very cool! I love that curve in the amphitheatre! Awesome stuff!

Nice little build, great work!

Nice little build, the curved amphitheatre looks great, and i love the diversity of the minifigs,

The amphitheatre is really well done :) all the activity really adds to the build :)

Very nice build, and good idea as well :thumbup:

Nice build and minifigs. Well done :thumbup:

Thanks all!

Love this MOC.

Love the curved balcony, love the little stand, love the figs!

Congratulations mccoyed.

Oh thanks Cesbrick!

Very cool! I like the little stall with the "mystery product."

Yeah. What's that cat fella selling!?

This is awesome! Such a great concept, and the build really does it justice.

The curved steps of the amphitheater are nicely done. All the minifigs create a lively, vibrant scene, giving life to both the build and Ruadh. The desert details like the small dunes and dusty ground, while small, are very effective in anchoring the Forum in its landscape. And of course the joshua tree is such a thoughtful addition!

Ah, so glad you liked it. Especially the tree, which appears to be becoming a kind of signature for Ruadh builds. One of my goals here was to show off some ethnic diversity in Ruadh because it feels like the kind of place people from all over would gather.

Love the result! The curved stands and all the posings of the minifigs! :wub:

Thanks DG. Yeah, this may be the first Greek-style amphitheater in GoH. Not sure.

Excellent build! I like the small scenes with the minifigs within the build and how you've made it instantly recognizable to be in Ruadh by including that tree :classic:

I tried my hand at a similar technique last year, but I cheated a bit by covering up the gaps with minifigs :wink:

Thanks Gideon! After your last Kali build (let alone any other one!), such praise from you is wonderful.

Seems like you made a more traditional curving wall with the linked build? It's hard to tell because you hid the work so well. :P For the amphitheater, I made "pies" offset by small 1x3 (?) wing plates reinforced with additional, invisible hinges. It's not like any other curved wall technique I've seen. I looked around quite a bit too, because that part of the build had me stumped for hours!

Not sure how you did it, but this feels both busy and a bit relaxed. Nice work on that curve too, the necessary gaps aren't too noticeable.

Thanks mrcp6d! I had to restrain myself from adding more and more figs. All the jumper plates on the forum show my indecisiveness about placing and quantity. I looked at the finished build and was like "hey, that's enough!" and then stopped. Thankfully. Been known to overstuff a MOC with 'figs.

Edited by mccoyed

Seems like you made a more traditional curving wall with the linked build? It's hard to tell because you hid the work so well. :P For the amphitheater, I made "pies" offset by small 1x3 (?) wing plates reinforced with additional, invisible hinges. It's not like any other curved wall technique I've seen. I looked around quite a bit too, because that part of the build had me stumped for hours!

I did something similar, where each section was wider at the back than at the front. If I remember correctly, the angle between the sections was about 1 stud per 3 studs. The priority was however to get the inside wall as round as possible. My solution for the tiling of the upper floors was to allow some overlap between the "pies"...which worked ok to eliminate the gaps but did not look very good on the small scale of the build. Fortunately the minifigs hid most of the ugly misaligned tiles :wink:

I have longed to build a larger amphiteatre for a long time, but never gotten around to it...your build here is great inspiration for me to think further on it!

I really like this build! You know you are welcome to stay in Kali as long as you want, we are really quite the friendly guild