Bregir

Diaries of Beorthan II: Departure (HSS Military)

Having heard initial reports from his advicers upon assuming his position of Lord Mayor of the Trifork, Beorthan is presented a dilemma. While the Trifork is in dire need for reform, a delegate from Shadowmere, under the rule of Nocturnian loyalist Lord Vladivus, has arrived, requesting Beorthan’s attendance in Shadowmere to discuss a treaty.

Beorthan has decided to heed the invitation, despite doubts as to Lord Vladivus’s motives, the complicated situation in Nocturnus, and his new office. He puts his old friend, sir William Drake, in charge of country administration, and his bodyguard Marcus in charge of training and equipping the militia.

He then sets out, accompanied by his other bodyguard Cassius, his Nocturnian scout Tauro, and the Shadowmere delegate. They exit the town by the south gate early in the morning as the gates are opening and the first traffic starts rushing up and down the busy street.

15264894739_92db721463_z.jpg

The Great South Gate stands watch over the busy south road leading to Cedrica, Nocturnus, and Kaliphlin, and is the most prominent defensive structure in the city walls surrounding the Trifork. It is one of the busiest traffic nodes, being part of the shortest route between Cedrica, Nocturnus, and large parts of Kaliphlin, and Albion, the Avalonian capital.

15448516641_7150b1f5ce_z.jpg

The walls are sturdy but low, as the south road is the only firm land in the meadowy wetlands south of the Trifork. The heavy gate is suspended from the gatehouse like a portcullis, which allows it to be deployed swiftly.

15264981440_d8af83521e_z.jpg

Thanks for reading/looking, all! This is my largest GoH build sofar, and also probably my personal favourite. I tried to improve my landscaping, and although simple, I think it turned out pretty well.

The gatehouse have (sparse) interiors on the 1st floor, while the ground floor is massive apart from two niches for guards inside the gate-opening. The gate it self is operated by a working winch and the roof comes off in a modular fashion.

Further, I stole a lot of techniques in the builds I have seen here in GoH, bit still think I ended up with something pretty original.

You can find a few more pics here.

C&C more than welcome

/Bregir

Edited by Bregir

Great MOC here, I'm liking the mix of light grey and dark tan a lot! The stall and pump are great details! :thumbup:

The fortification looks strong and very clean. It's a great build, similar to Kabel's AOE2 inspired Ruadhic house. Good landscaping too, with the only weak point being the grass around the pump.

Great moc. The use of tan and grey is nice. The stalls quite cute and the pump is a lovely detail. Definately a strong fortification with good depth to it. :classic:

Nice! I love the colour scheme, bley and dk tan work so well here. Love the details, like the culvert and the small stream! I hope Beorthan doesn't run into too much trouble on his way to Nocturnus!

I agree on the dark tan/bley combo, that works really nice indeed! The moc itself is also great, really like that gate.

Nice gatehouse :) the random placement of dark tan and the wooden tops break up the bley syndrome :) the terrain is good In this as well :)

Good job, the texturing and color scheme are very well-appointed, and the landscape is nice without being over-proportionate :thumbup:

Solid gatehouse Bergir. I like that it's two-sided, though I agree with the comments about the area around the pump needing some more work.

Great MOC here, I'm liking the mix of light grey and dark tan a lot! The stall and pump are great details! :thumbup:

Thanks Kai! :sweet: It worked out pretty well, I think - the hardest part is to keep the placement of dark tan random :look:

The fortification looks strong and very clean. It's a great build, similar to Kabel's AOE2 inspired Ruadhic house. Good landscaping too, with the only weak point being the grass around the pump.

Thank you, Mccoyed. I was going for a strong, well-built and well-tended look, so I am glad it shines through. :thumbup:

Re. the area around the pump... I see what you mean - thats the trouble with mainly building when looking at the front of gatehouse - you tend to forget the back! :tongue:

This is really good! I like the colors and the pump as well as the wooden sections.

Thanks, Carson - The wooden sections really came about, because I ran out of the angled pieces for the stone crenelations. :grin: But in the end, I think the moc came out better for it. :classic:

Great moc. The use of tan and grey is nice. The stalls quite cute and the pump is a lovely detail. Definately a strong fortification with good depth to it. :classic:

Glad you like it - I did struggle a bit with the pump until I found that black tail piece :laugh:

Very nice castle! Love the colour scheme.

Thank you, Alfadas!

Nice! I love the colour scheme, bley and dk tan work so well here. Love the details, like the culvert and the small stream! I hope Beorthan doesn't run into too much trouble on his way to Nocturnus!

With gunpowder being out of the question in Historica, I thought a culvert wouldn't be too much of a weakness! :tongue:

I was conceptually inspired by your gate-build, actually, so hereby some credit your way. :thumbup:

I wonder if there is a troubleless way to Nocturnus these days - I really doubt it, though! We will see.... *dum dum DUM*

I agree on the dark tan/bley combo, that works really nice indeed! The moc itself is also great, really like that gate.

Thank you, Jorrith! In fact, the gate was initially intended to swing up, rather than be raised like a portcullis, but there wasn't enough room. In the end, I much prefer this solution. :classic:

Nice gatehouse :) the random placement of dark tan and the wooden tops break up the bley syndrome :) the terrain is good In this as well :)

Thank you - the bley syndrome is a dangerous curse to many a castle build - happy I avoided it! :wink:

Good to hear you like the terrain - this is my first build with "full landscaping". Normally, I add some landscaping afterwards, and it ends up looking like an afterthought, by here I actully build it first and I like the result.

Good job, the texturing and color scheme are very well-appointed, and the landscape is nice without being over-proportionate :thumbup:

Gald you like it! :classic:

Very nice job! The pump is a very cool detail, and everything flows together well. Nice landscaping too.

Thanks, BP - Happy to hear you like the flow! :thumbup:

Solid gatehouse Bergir. I like that it's two-sided, though I agree with the comments about the area around the pump needing some more work.

Thanks! It actually does anoy me a little bit, that I missed that part, as I don't really think it would have required much to give it the last finish! :wacko:

Dang it! :tongue:

Looks good Bregir! Very imposing fortification here. I think the mottling looks pretty good and random, which as you said can be difficult to do. A little more life on the backside would do it some justice to look lived in, but overall very nice build!

Great work, Bregir! The walls and gate are nice and clean with excellent coloring. I like that water pump in the back. I do agree that more detailing/life on the backside would be good.

really great gatehouse.The walls look very clean but are still well broken up by the dark tan, and the wooden parts on top are a nice detail. I also reallylike the inclusion of the detail in the landscape such as the stream, the waterpump, and the vendor.

Awesome gatehouse, Bregir, great job with the grey/dark tan color scheme and wooden sections :wink:

I really like how you did the corners on the towers, the gate, and the placement of the arrow slots - excellent build :thumbup:

Very nice and sturdy look! I like when builders mind that also the walls of towers should be at least as thick as the curtain walls, sometimes towers look very brittle even at ground level when too much interior is crammed into them.

Sweet gatehouse! Don't see a lot of bley/dark tan mottling, it looks very good :thumbup: The wooden additions are nice touches as well.

That hand pump is a gorgeous design and detail :wub:

Great MOC! Nice ballance between grey and dark tan. Also, great balance with the wooden parts!

I love the water thing! :grin: