B Rick

[MOD] Ghostbusters Ecto1 (improved looks/details/in-exterior)

gb_ecto_ideas_800px_1.jpg

I recently purchased 21108 and I think it's one of the all time better sets from Lego. I really enjoyed building it, and I can tell you the endresult is awesome. Like you didn't know already huh. Still ater a while some things started to bug me, and I thought I could improve on some details and overall look. The frontend is unmistakenly 59 Cadillac, but somehow it didn't look right... Wheelwell had a wrong angle; the frontwheels were set too far back; the 'eyebrows' above the headlights stick too far out; the hood is too flat compared to the fenders; too much room between frontwheel and lights because of wrong use of snot-technique, etc...

I think I have improved the original model.

After I modified the exterior I came across this post by flailix, and his work inspired me to do a proper interior and engine bay. I had just one problem: My car is one stud shorter than the original. So that meant I got even less room to place all 4 minifigs... But I managed to do so...

gb_ecto_ideas_800px_18.jpg

^ seating ALL 4 minifigs!

gb_ecto_ideas_800px_9.jpg

^ detailed V8 engine bay

gb_ecto_ideas_800px_2.jpg

^ notice not one but two exposed studs behind the frontwheel. Somehow it doesn't feel like Lego has forgotten something anymore :wink: It now looks like the car has a doorline.

gb_ecto_ideas_800px_3.jpg

^ I replaced the inverted slope which just had the wrong angle and made the bodywork between frontlights and wheel too large with a cheeseslope. By using other snot-parts I managed to shrink it a bit further and clean up the bumperside by separating it from the headlights.

gb_ecto_ideas_800px_5.jpg

^ Major modification was shortening the cab by a stud. It forced me to create open windows which I love. The windshield is set back to create more bodywork between frontwheel and windshield. The roofrack needed to be set back a stud creating less room at the back of the roof. Just like the real thing. The blue hoses are now compact together compared to the original set. I used an extra slope next to the hoses to let the body have a better flow.

gb_ecto_ideas_800px_4.jpg

^ now that the ladder is set back one stud I could attach it by clicking it into a red 1x1 clip I placed in the fin. On this side also more slope pieces above the rear wheel for better flow

gb_ecto_ideas_800px_6.jpg

gb_ecto_ideas_800px_7.jpg

^ I used a plate to give the bumper more mass.

gb_ecto_ideas_800px_8.jpg

^ the round studs don't bother me as much as they do on the original. It's much more a 'one piece' frontfender. It even suggested me to use round studs in the hoodcorners. It really helps rounding off the hoodcorners. The hood got raised because I thought it sat too low between the fenders.

gb_ecto_ideas_800px_17.jpg

^ now this was the most difficult task: Creating enough room for a decent interior that can seat all 4 minifigs. I'ts not able to hold all 4 backpacks but it does have room for a trap :wink:

gb_ecto_ideas_800px_20.jpg

^ sure it's kinda cosy but hey, it fits!

gb_ecto_ideas_800px_19.jpg

Edited by B Rick

Nice improvements! I always try to add an engine bay to models when they allow it, so I will definitely be installing one on this. Well done :classic:

Quite the impressive improvement! My favorite mod would have to be the colorful control section in the back. By the way, do any of these mods favor functionality over stability? Overall, I would say you improved the already great model LEGO has put out.

I've put some pics of the original model and my modified version next to eachother for better compairison:

gb_ecto_ideas_800px_21_b.jpg

gb_ecto_ideas_800px_22_b.jpg

gb_ecto_ideas_800px_23_b.jpg

gb_ecto_ideas_800px_24_b.jpg

gb_ecto_ideas_800px_25_b.jpg

gb_ecto_ideas_800px_26_b.jpg

Quite the impressive improvement! My favorite mod would have to be the colorful control section in the back. By the way, do any of these mods favor functionality over stability? Overall, I would say you improved the already great model LEGO has put out.

The original car is quite a massive and sturdy build, and I must say I had to sacrifice some of the stability. But not a lot! My modified version has some weak spots: The part below the windscreen is a bit weaker because I had to make some room for the hinges and for the minifigs. But the weakness only shows up when you are replacing parts and heve to press down really hard. So there is no loss of playability. Other weaker point is the roofscection. Because I have shortened it, the midsection is made of a multiple of parts. Not one. Solved with Lego's inverted rounded off 2x2 plates. 3rd weak point is the attachement of the sidewindows. each side is attached by 1 clip piece in the front. But that is solved by securing it tight in the back. So it's not weaker than the original set-up. 4th weak spot are the rearwheels. Because of the two seats there was less room to attach the wheel.

But all of these 'weak' spots are only noticeable when your rebuilding te car.

Thanks guys, for the nice comments!

This is very nice. I haven't built mine yet but the first mod I always wanted to do was to get two minifigures sitting side-by-side in the front like a normal car. Thanks for showing me that it's possible.

Something else I thought about doing was having the entire back slide out to load the backpacks. No idea if that is possible but we'll see.

I like the beefier higher hood in your version. But I like the side-look of the original with the single stud next to the front door and the single stud next to the rear door (I like the symmetry of the matching studs). The two studs next to the front door seems like a big cut-off.

Edited by badbob001

I like nearly all of the mods - The only things I am not sure of looking at the two side by side is where you have smoothed off the sides and the front bumper protrusion. I think you may have gone a bit too far and ended up with a slightly slab-sided look to it. The LEGO version was less tidy but somehow gave a more realistic look. The front bumper might technically need to stick out a bit more but I think that the additional plate you have inserted makes it stick out too much. The LEGO version was a bit neater.

Apart from those (very picky!) observations I think you have done a really good job. I really like the open side windows.

Cheers

Rog

Thanks for the input guys!

First of all, Lego is a medium of compromises and I think everybody chooses their own way/parts for compromising.

Frontbumper:

I agree that it's sticking out too much. If I could, that's the first thing I'd change in the front. But... The perfect length of the silver round studs is 2/3rd (2 plates). So I did change it to a grey round 1x1plate + 1 silver round 1x1 plate (x4 for the whole bumper) and removed a 1x4 in the mid section (numberplate area). It looks okayish, but I still prefer my initial mods... I really miss the holes in the silver round 1x1 studs. That's happens to be a really important detail to make it a cadillac...

Other than that, I definately prefer my sollution of attaching the headlights + eyebrow + wheelwell radius. Straigth to the white bodywork. This makes definately for a more realistic cadillac appearance. The sideview of the front of the original Lego model seems more and more odd to me every time I look at it.

I'll try to make some pics tomorrow before I change it back again to my first sollution.

Exposed studs:

I think my sollution feels a bit more natural with the two exposed studs. I really had the feeling that Lego left something out. But a smooth 1x1 tile didn't work for me, and the problem of 'the big cut off' you speak of was much more evident. So I chose to expose two studs for a more gradual transition between the hardedged curved slopes and the rest of the front bodywork. I think the straight vertical line is welcom extra because to me the line could be interpreted as a doorline. No, it's not ideal, but I think it's better this way. :)

Why I did cover up the rear exposed stud is that I don't like the angled line in the rear wheelwell. If there was any angle in that wheelwell than it should be behind the wheel, not in front of...

Two minifigs side by side:

Glad I got you inspired. But not all credits belong to me. As I stated in my first post I got inspired by flailx (link in 1st post). But I had the problem that I shortened the whole cabin by a stud. Also making the minifigs sit on a 'seat' you are going to have to lower the floor and come up with a totally different buildstructure. But as you can see, it is possible (and well worth it!) And I do hope you'll go all the way: 4 minifigs!

Protonpacks sliding out:

That's an awesome idea! Don't know it it's possible. Again: Check the forementioned link. That guy has made smaller protonpacks so all 4 fit inside! Maybe that will make your idea possible.

But I'm also thinking of making more adjustements:

I'm extremely happy with how the car at this point looks, but... I can't deny that by shortening the cabine the car now has the proportions of a normal stationwagon instead of a limousine-hearse... So I may lengthen the wheelbase by a stud... ;)

Finally took the time to make some pics of another improvement I was telling you about: The cabine is back to it's normal size and I lengtened the wheelbase. So, now the Cadillac hearse does look more like the lengtened limousine from the movie.

gb_ecto_ideas_22.jpg

gb_ecto_ideas_23.jpg

gb_ecto_ideas_21.jpg

Hi there. Any chance you could give me more pictures on the finished lengthened ecto 1?

I don't suppose you have a parts list as well? as its quite trick to see exactly what parts have been added to make the vehicle longer as well as the parts that make up the control panel inside the rear of the car.

Any help would be appreciated,

Cheers,

Tim

Hi,

Brilliant MOC. Further to Materix's request for a part list do you by any chance have a LXF file which contains the modifications that you did to the Ecto-1 model?

Thank you very much,

Charles

Edited by CCarmichael89

Looks amazing. Great job with the mods. When I first got this set I was disappointed the Ghostbusters didn't fit into the car. I want to try and do what you've done here, great inspiration!

Looks amazing. Great job with the mods. When I first got this set I was disappointed the Ghostbusters didn't fit into the car. I want to try and do what you've done here, great inspiration!

If you succeed could you let me know how they are done as I have tried to replicate them in Lego Digital Designer but have so far failed.

Thanks