4 hours ago, astyanax said:

The new 3x2 panel seems to offer connectivity like 85x85p.jpg except with axle hole instead of pin hole. I don't think any other piece offers 3 axle holes like that. Some people may get creative and use the new panel for its connectivity rather than panel...ivity

I thought the panel had a built-in pin instead of the axle hole you speak of. I sincerely hope you are right though.

6 minutes ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

I thought the panel had a built-in pin instead of the axle hole you speak of. I sincerely hope you are right though.

54795_42123_Lifestyle_envr_048.jpg

Although the central hole is partially covered by the panel bit, it does look like an axle hole to me... (Talking about the black panel on the roof)

5 hours ago, astyanax said:

The new 3x2 panel seems to offer connectivity like 85x85p.jpg except with axle hole instead of pin hole. I don't think any other piece offers 3 axle holes like that. Some people may get creative and use the new panel for its connectivity rather than panel...ivity

Yep, novel connectivity, one that's imo been missing far too long. So many times when I've wished to have a part like the pin with pinhole, except instead of the pinhole an axlehole... The new panel won't of course fill this need but is still something new connectivity-wise.

Just now, astyanax said:

Would part 66788 be useful for Technic builds? For example to hold one end of a flex axle...

85x85p.jpg

How about the brake caliper holder?

6 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

How about the brake caliper holder?

You mean as brake caliper holder? Or that this part would be redundant?

Sure, there are plenty clip-based parts, but barely any in lime. Maybe this part could look better in lime builds -- then again, maybe it'll look too much like a severed arm.

I just thought I'd bring its existence to your attention. :sweet: (the part is new for 2020)

I for one am tired of seeing clips pushed into half-pins. Or worse, clips holding clips.

356.jpg

Aaaaargh! When building my Chiron, I quickly replaced this abomination by the good old  85x85p.jpg

Edited by astyanax
grammar

For the Bugatti’s case, it would work better if the new part’s clip was oriented the other direction. I wonder if LEGO would ever consider changing the clip orientation for non-minifigure models.

Edited by TechnicRCRacer

Lego-block-connector-with-one-half-of-wormed-gearbox

Two of these make a good worm drive gear box using either a 24T or 40T gear and has  little backlash.

50637370551_dc6f9ee84b.jpglego-block-connector-with-one-half-of-wormed-gearbox-32166-28 

What is the purpose or use is the half 24T gear segment at the bottom ?        Has anyone found a use for this ?

I have cut this off before when this underside part fouled other parts when mounting it into a MOC.

Another problem:- it can be difficult to intergrate into other parts of a structure due to 1/2 L problem.

Edited by Doug72

5 minutes ago, Doug72 said:

What is the purpose or use is the half 24T gear segment at the bottom ?        Has anyone found a use for this ?

I don't have those parts but I think you could use worm gear to drive the 24T part and make a some sort of lifter or actuator with no backdriving out of it.

Generally these kinds of parts are pretty hard to make useful though.

Thanks for the reply,

I only use them in pairs back to back as worm drive gearboxes in GBC Train modules as they are compact and robust.

The half 24T gear segment seems to have no useful purpose.

Edited by Doug72

6 minutes ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

@Doug72 My guess is that it was mainly for decoration as this was an early Bionicle/Throwbots part.

It was also used in 8446 in green. 8446 was the only regular Technic set to include it.

13 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

It was also used in 8446 in green. 8446 was the only regular Technic set to include it.

I have them in brown (3 pce ) , Yellow ( 3pce ) & Green ( 1 pce ).

Don't think it will upset the lego purists if I trim the half 24 T gear off !!

5 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

@Doug72 My guess is that it was mainly for decoration as this was an early Bionicle/Throwbots part.

It wasn't merely decorative. In the Throwbots sets it was introduced in, the gear was used in larger combination models to sort of "chain" this gearbox together (in other words, have the worm gear on one engage the 24t gear on the top of the other). Later Bionicle parts evoked this same gearing but stopped using it functionally in most cases.

I'm not 100% understanding how @Doug72 is intending to use it, but perhaps this part might work better for some purposes? https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=6588#T=C

7 hours ago, Lyichir said:

In the Throwbots sets it was introduced in, the gear was used in larger combination models to sort of "chain" this gearbox together

Wait, you can chain them? Okay, this is something I have to try.

Yes, do it. Chaining these Throwbot gearboxes is very cool, and done in some of the combo models. I don't have any pictures, but I have done this, and it's real neat. Not the most useful thing for Technic, but you could use this chain as the spine of a large mecha model.

Edited by Saberwing40k

12 hours ago, Lyichir said:

I'm not 100% understanding how @Doug72 is intending to use it, but perhaps this part might work better for some purposes? https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=6588#T=C

Re Technic, Gearbox 2 x 4 x 3 1/3, I have some but difficult to build them into a module due lack of mounting hoies - can only be used with 24T gears.

I have some 3D printed worm gear frames that work fine with 24T gears, are easy to mount & take up a small space.
As they are not Lego cannot use them for competitions.

Examples of worm gear box used in GBC Train Modules.
Don't understand how you would chain them & can see no way of using thus for GBC.

50640875061_a30ae73a3e_w.jpg

50640954547_7ecab4887b_w.jpg

50640123428_c301cbb24d_w.jpg

50640954432_9093248d98_w.jpg

Edited by Doug72

Just now, Leewan said:

There'll be a new "panel slice" in 42121 (pic from Techlug:

Perhaps you should start a new topic for 42121 set :wink:

(thanks for image)

when I was writting this message @Ngoc Nguyen started one, so please ignore my post until - thanks for image)

Edited by I_Igor

I don't know why but TLG suddenly make so many new parts in just first wave of 2021.

list of I know

2 types of new tires in jeep and offroader

1 new double cross beam in offroader

1 new panel extension in excavator

2 new panel in lot of 2021 set

In 2020's first wave, we get

1 new differential

boat thing

and this is end. no new parts anymore. just new color.

@msk6003 It seems like making new parts is happening more with or without them being used again in other models. The Ducati is another example, though it may be too early to see if those specialized parts are used again. 42096 has the fenders that have not been used again. 

I like that Lego is starting to add parts that the model needs, with or without using the part again in another model.

4 minutes ago, Thirdwigg said:

The Ducati is another example, though it may be too early to see if those specialized parts are used again.

No other part is not used yet but that golden shock is used in ecto-1.

I find that break disc is very hard to use with not-bike model but ducati is not last bike in technic line so it will use again someday.

It's actually quite common to have parts that seem like they are designed for Technic but are actually originally made for other themes and having them used in Technic only a few times, like 32L axle (used in three Technic sets and dozens of other sets) and 16L link, which has similar usage pattern even though it's very useful for Technic builds.

Every part is a spaceship part so I wouldn't be surprised to see that Ducati brake disk in some future Star Wars set or something.

OHHHHH.

i only just noticed that the new 2x3 L beam has a stupid support band on it,   kinda like 3x3 l beam thin with support.

WHY!!!!!! and it has an axle hole which is not as bad but still!!.