Just now, 1gor said:

I needed it for suspension link, but I'll have on worst case to use panhard rod like on Unimog.

Now I have to figure out (after I buy it this new part) how to put it through both pinhole on frame and on liftarm below it...

If you post a photo in general help, I might help you to find a solution.

On 8/14/2022 at 12:55 AM, msk6003 said:

Found in facebook page and someone said new 60t in 42144 is not bevel anymore. I can't check now so is someone can check it?

Just assembled 42144 last night and hadn't even noticed! You are correct, the turntable is not bevel. Interesting.

On 8/5/2022 at 11:38 AM, 1gor said:

I hardly wait for two specific Ferrari parts - gears in differential... unusual that even in August there is no inventory available... perhaps I have missed something about time of inventory publishing...

Complete new diff assembly available from Picnic store on Aliexpress for $0.03 each - arrived to UK in 19 days and moulds seem fine and at three cents a pop you can bin them when/if TLG ever list them on PaB.

Since TLG now own BL I reckon they don't see a need to put new parts on PaB - they sell sets to the BL stores to part out  or you buy the set, either way they sell sets -  AFOL's pay or go without!!

Also I always felt that the old parts service was so random in stock availability that it was only ever a btw over production disposal service, in Euriope at least, The US always seemed better catered.

27 minutes ago, Plumber said:

Complete new diff assembly available from Picnic store on Aliexpress for $0.03 each - arrived to UK in 19 days and moulds seem fine and at three cents a pop you can bin them when/if TLG ever list them on PaB.

Since TLG now own BL I reckon they don't see a need to put new parts on PaB - they sell sets to the BL stores to part out  or you buy the set, either way they sell sets -  AFOL's pay or go without!!

Also I always felt that the old parts service was so random in stock availability that it was only ever a btw over production disposal service, in Euriope at least, The US always seemed better catered.

That sounds good, but are that lego parts? Very often AliExpress has Chinese parts... usually bricks and pieces have it some 3 mo this after release and bricklink sellers order from brick and pieces and resell them ...

Chinese parts of course  - Aliexprrss sells nothing else, its a Chinese government sponsored market for Chinese goods!

Obviously BL sellers buy from BaP when they can or part out sets - my point is that if TLG stop listing the most desirable (new) parts on BaP then the BL sellers are forced to buy sets to part out - i Don't think it ever has or ever will be in TLG interest to make individual parts a mainstay of their business and their acquisition of BL is just another way to exercise control of the market.

14 minutes ago, Plumber said:

Chinese parts of course  - Aliexprrss sells nothing else, its a Chinese government sponsored market for Chinese goods!

Obviously BL sellers buy from BaP when they can or part out sets - my point is that if TLG stop listing the most desirable (new) parts on BaP then the BL sellers are forced to buy sets to part out - i Don't think it ever has or ever will be in TLG interest to make individual parts a mainstay of their business and their acquisition of BL is just another way to exercise control of the market.

If they decide not to sell it by B&P than we have to wait until part will appear in some other set to be available as part. Ferrari is simply to expensive for me ( not to mention buying 2 sets for 2 differentials :wacko:)

51 minutes ago, 1gor said:

Ferrari is simply to expensive for me ( not to mention buying 2 sets for 2 differentials :wacko:)

Too expensive is politely said. It looks nice but the price is nothing less than a real Ferrari... I understand Sian was a damn luxury set but a comparable set with the same gearbox but +50% price together with declined sales of the new parts...
I was a purist but now all these things sound more and more like "I'm sorry, LEGO, I would wait for L8P1N's release..." :look:

22 minutes ago, Void_S said:

Too expensive is politely said. It looks nice but the price is nothing less than a real Ferrari... I understand Sian was a damn luxury set but a comparable set with the same gearbox but +50% price together with declined sales of the new parts...
I was a purist but now all these things sound more and more like "I'm sorry, LEGO, I would wait for L8P1N's release..." :look:

I agree; I was trying to be polite as possible and beauty is in the eye of beholder BUT all those now cars look plastic, unnatural...to me; like word elegancy was deleted from dictionary. The only positive thing IMHO is that modern cars could be easily replicated with Lego parts. About purism; I have decided that when there will be a point that those pieces that interest me are way to expensive, I'll end with this hobby; simple as that. When I see how much is rechargible battery box I got measles 

I miss service packs... I think they would be a really great reintroduction to bring us specialized parts in neat corresponding packs of parts.

• For example like the above mentioned Ferrari's differential, 12 tooth bevel gears and the drive gears.
  • Or gearbox elements with the 16, 20 clutch gears, wave selector, driving ring and a 3L long smooth axle joiners
  • Or, the new CV joints pack , bigger CV joint pack which would have the female part, short male version, long male version and a geared planetary hub
  • Why not also have a frame pack which includes all the frames
  • Etc...

One can dream, I guess, but it might be worth to propose to the LEGO group?

8 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

I think they would be a really great reintroduction to bring us specialized parts in neat corresponding packs of parts.

That would be awesome. Maybe it could be a more maintainable solution for TLG than PaB, because they would be pre-packed and not needed to part things out separately (and probably manually) for each order..

LOL LEGO are retarded again!, I was wondering when they were gonna do that again!.

So now  they basically make the 60 tooth turn table, useless 80% of the time. They make it only a spur gear and not a bevel gear. They did this on a set that does not even have a driven turntable (LAZY).  SO now it's basically like the old 56 tooth turntable.

I wonder when they will realize that they goofed up and go back to the original 60 tooth mold (which should, along with the mini turntable be a DOUBLE BEVEL setup anyhow)

What if somebody wants to build a set out of parts they already own , now they can't! because the instructions will use the older bevelled 60 tooth turntable but they have the dumb new version.

I bet you can't even put a chain on the new spur gear remold of the 60 tooth turntable!.

I can't for the life of me think of a reason to make this change.

Edited by SNIPE

41 minutes ago, SNIPE said:

LOL LEGO are retarded again!, I was wondering when they were gonna do that again!.

So now  they basically make the 60 tooth turn table, useless 80% of the time. They make it only a spur gear and not a bevel gear. They did this on a set that does not even have a driven turntable (LAZY).  SO now it's basically like the old 56 tooth turntable.

I wonder when they will realize that they goofed up and go back to the original 60 tooth mold (which should, along with the mini turntable be a DOUBLE BEVEL setup anyhow)

What if somebody wants to build a set out of parts they already own , now they can't! because the instructions will use the older bevelled 60 tooth turntable but they have the dumb new version.

I bet you can't even put a chain on the new spur gear remold of the 60 tooth turntable!.

Except the 56T turntable had also internal teeth, so it had more options for driving it.

I wonder though, which sets have used the bevel part of the 60T turntable? I can't recall any from the top of my mind, but there are many sets with the turntable which I haven't build so maybe some of those use it that way?

28 minutes ago, howitzer said:

I wonder though, which sets have used the bevel part of the 60T turntable?

I tried to find it. 42055 BWE, 42054 Class, 42049 Mine loader, 42043 Benz arocs, 42042 Crawler crane, 42094 Tracked loader use bevel.

15 minutes ago, msk6003 said:

I tried to find it. 42055 BWE, 42054 Class, 42049 Mine loader, 42043 Benz arocs, 42042 Crawler crane, 42094 Tracked loader use bevel.

Thanks for the effort. So some of the best models of all time use this functionality, which makes one really wonder why the bevel was removed...

1 hour ago, SNIPE said:

So now  they basically make the 60 tooth turn table [...] only a spur gear and not a bevel gear.

[...]

Come on, use your creativity ;)

1. connections with the bevel gear may have more friction
  2. connections with the bevel gear may have a tendency to slip
  3. the ends of the teeth were rubbing against the surface below when turning
  4. a spur-only gear may be easier to mold, or cheaper
  5. the spur gear may allow chain drive (or so I hope)
  6. they were remolding anyway for other reasons, and figured they didn't need the bevel gear

It's easy enough to "think of a reason to make this change". Which reasons are the actual reasons, we cannot know, but there's plenty of possible reasons.

I wondered about posting this as a separate topic but thought I'd post it here instead.

So a good AFOL friend of mine has his birthday fairly close to Christmas (****If you are that friend, you know who you are, don't read any further to avoid spoilers!***)

Spoiler

......and we usually get each other something for Christmas so this year I wanted to put together a sort of parts pack full of "the good stuff". He like pneumatics but doesn't have that much so of course there's already a full compliment of pneumatics included (manual pump, 4 motor pumps, 4x 2x11 cylinders, 4x 1x11 cylinders, valves, t-pieces, dark grey, light grey and blue third party hose, etc). I have also included 4 of the new stronger differentials (the red 28t one), 4 planetary reduction hubs and their male CV joint counter part, The zetros sliding CV joints, the newer inline clutch, various technic frames of different sizes and flip flop beams. I will also get a large organiser type thing to compile the parts into. depending on how full or empty that ends up being I might add a few more things (like chains, clutch gears, etc to make the ultimate mechanisms builders box). So From the lists I have posted, what would you say I'm missing? If this was your gift what would you like to see included?

Edited by allanp

12 hours ago, SNIPE said:

Well, here are some pictures of the new turntable compared with the old.  The new one is on the left.

Turntable top

Turntable bottom

The most interesting change to me is that they are now using 6 clips to hold the two halve together rather than just 4.  Will this make it stronger in certain applications?

Turntable gear

It does appear to work with a chain.

Here's what's happening in my opinion.

A while ago LEGO started introducing a softer material hence many connector's pinholes were reinforced along with parts like ball joint, etc...

I think they now have an issue with bevel gears because they are softer and easier to skip than before.

That is why they are redesigning all the gears to fit into 2 categories:

• straight gears which use proper sized teeth for best optimal mesh
  • new bevel gears like the ones in Ferrari's differential - I believe we will see many more of such types pop-up in the future

Also new turntable using 6 clips instead of 4 can be explained by a softer material used and usage case like slewing in the upcoming crane.

Edited by Zerobricks

30 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

Here's what's happening in my opinion.

A while ago LEGO started introducing a softer material hence many connector's pinholes were reinforced along with parts like ball joint, etc...

I think they now have an issue with bevel gears because they are softer and easier to skip than before.

That is why they are redesigning all the gears to fit into 2 categories:

• straight gears which use proper sized teeth for best optimal mesh
  • new bevel gears like the ones in Ferrari's differential - I believe we will see many more of such types pop-up in the future

Also new turntable using 6 clips instead of 4 can be explained by a softer material used and usage case like slewing in the upcoming crane.

I like your thinking.

Could that softer material have anything to do with their quest to get away from oil based plastic?

14 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Could that softer material have anything to do with their quest to get away from oil based plastic?

Most likely. There was something said many years ago about them switching suppliers. But it can also be the formulation of the ABS;

Per Wikipedia: " The proportions can vary from 15% to 35% acrylonitrile, 5% to 30% butadiene and 40% to 60% styrene." So a new ratio for a cheaper supply could result in a slightly softer Lego part.