3 minutes ago, Carsten Svendsen said:

You could put a few discs in between. As they are half width they would grip better on to the hub. Plus you'd have 6 points of connection to the rim

This might work but as the wheels are also steered, I can't make the axle narrower - the +2 studs would've make it wide enough to stick outside and collide with surrounding parts.

I'm also not sure if additional part between the wheel and hub wouldn't cause additional bending.

I'm sorry that I haven't written complete information above :sceptic:

7 minutes ago, allanp said:

How would you feel about a using 3 small self tapping wood screws in the grey pins, basically holding each wheel in place with 3 wood screws. They would have to be quite small of course, with probably about a 2.5mm thread only 7 or 8 mm long at a guess.

This may be a solution I'm looking for but I won't use it until it turns out that there's no solution using only LEGO parts.

Anyway, thanks for ideas!

2 hours ago, MP LEGO Technic creations said:

Is there anyone with an idea how to make connection between a wheel racing medium 6065490.jpg and a planetary hub 46490c01.png even stronger (not considering use of glue)?

The thing is, as I'm building quite a heavy machine, the wheels tend to disconnect when cornering. Approx. weight of fully-loaded model is 9 kg divided (not equally) onto 3 axles.

Any suggestion is highly appreciated.

You can use the pin and put this part 22484.png or this one 87994.pnginside to securise the assembly ?

16 minutes ago, higgins91 said:

You can use the pin and put this part ... or this one ... inside to securise the assembly ?

I also thought about this but the hub already has the "new" style of pins, which means that it's no more possible to insert a bar (just like with a 3l pin with friction ridges and many other parts).

On the topic of fitting wheels to hubs I thought I'd ask; How would you go about fitting the Defender wheels on backwards? Hubs doesn't seem possible, but could you for example fit 2x half bushings or 1x1 technic bricks on an axle to space out the inward dent of the front of the wheel? Or are the axle holes to narrow for that? I haven't got the wheels at hand to test this but thought someone might already have tried a similar configuration.

6 minutes ago, LvdH said:

New clutch gear in the Airbus:

Rejoice!

But why weren't they included already in the Ferrari Daytona SP3?! (Presuming they'd make the gearbox even smoother...)

Edited by astyanax

1 hour ago, LvdH said:

Is TLG will remove traditional bevel gear? Differencial now don't need 20t double bevel because it was replaced to new 28t and 22t and unlike with 12t double bevel 20t don't use many time for 90 degree connection.

Just now, msk6003 said:

Is TLG will remove traditional bevel gear? Differencial now don't need 20t double bevel because it was replaced to new 28t and 22t and unlike with 12t double bevel 20t don't use many time for 90 degree connection.

I doubt, it will always be needed as a bevel gear in builds or as HOG handle.

If you think about it, one reason the bevel 20z is useful is that in the A model it might be used for horizontal transmission while in the B model it might be used for perpendicular transmission. However, given the death of B models, there's really no need for the bevel gear unless it is needed exactly in perpendicular transmission in the A model.

The Airbus still has at least 1 black 20z bevel gear, and it is used exactly in perpendicular transmission.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

4 hours ago, astyanax said:

Rejoice!

But why weren't they included already in the Ferrari Daytona SP3?! (Presuming they'd make the gearbox even smoother...)

I don't think so. @kbalage replaced all the double bevel gears he could in the land rover with the newer gears and it made little to no difference. The main problem is the sheer complexity of Lego gearboxes with all those axles and gear meshes and so on. They really need something much closer to my custom gearbox parts to properly fix the problem.

1 hour ago, allanp said:

I don't think so. @kbalage replaced all the double bevel gears he could in the land rover with the newer gears and it made little to no difference. The main problem is the sheer complexity of Lego gearboxes with all those axles and gear meshes and so on. They really need something much closer to my custom gearbox parts to properly fix the problem.

Fair enough. :pir-blush:

Still it feels like a doubly lazy job, in that they took the Sian gearbox (1st lazy), replaced 12t and 20t bevel gears by their new spur variants, but then didn't replace the bevel clutch gears (2nd lazy)...

But perhaps the reason is just a boring one, like it was all a matter of production planning...

11 hours ago, MP LEGO Technic creations said:

I also thought about this but the hub already has the "new" style of pins, which means that it's no more possible to insert a bar (just like with a 3l pin with friction ridges and many other parts).

After I melted one of my Lego planetary hubs, I cheaped out and bought a set of four Chinese ones. They seem to hold tighter, and their pins are actually different from the Lego ones, allowing bars to be inserted. Strangely, though, they didn't come lubricated or even glued together, so I had to do that myself to make them at all useful. Without being glued together, the wheel would fall off even easier, spewing planet gears everywhere!

9 hours ago, LvdH said:

New clutch gear

Now these words get my attention! Still not a new size, though. Sigh. At first glance, they don't seem much more useful than the double-bevel ones, but on second thought, this looks like the first chain-compatible clutch gear! Time will tell if that's actually helpful or not.

9 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Now these words get my attention! Still not a new size, though. Sigh. At first glance, they don't seem much more useful than the double-bevel ones, but on second thought, this looks like the first chain-compatible clutch gear! Time will tell if that's actually helpful or not.

Were the old-good 16T clutch gears (red and DBG both) chain compatible? I have no parts right now under my hands and can check and curious if their "bulged" inner part, where the clutch is located, may prevent the chain placement, like new-styled 8T gears.

This is probably another use of the new 20z spur gear.

Hgwzuve.png

The bevel gear collides with the edge of the slanting panel.

1 hour ago, Void_S said:

Were the old-good 16T clutch gears (red and DBG both) chain compatible? I have no parts right now under my hands and can check and curious if their "bulged" inner part, where the clutch is located, may prevent the chain placement, like new-styled 8T gears.

No, nether 16T clutch gears are chain compatible. The red is bulged on both sides, DBG on one.

Does anyone know if it is a real LEGO part? I have looked in all "brick modified" and "connector" catalogs of BrickLink without finding it...

800x600.jpg

5 minutes ago, Celeri said:

Does anyone know if it is a real LEGO part? I have looked in all "brick modified" and "connector" catalogs of BrickLink without finding it...

Yes, it is.

On 7/14/2022 at 3:17 PM, LvdH said:

I didn’t expect it to happen this year, so that’s great news!

Z12, Z20 pure spur gear variations, including the clutch variant...

... but when will LEGO complete the Technic gear range with the Z32 size ? It currently only exists as a custom design.

(I can't imagine/mention all new use cases it will cover, beginning with easy 1:4 ratios, despite the half stud spacing)

1 hour ago, Thierry-GearsManiac said:

Z12, Z20 pure spur gear variations, including the clutch variant...

... but when will LEGO complete the Technic gear range with the Z32 size ? It currently only exists as a custom design.

(I can't imagine/mention all new use cases it will cover, beginning with easy 1:4 ratios, despite the half stud spacing)

Completely agreed.

That's like the fifth new gear this year, which I won't complain about, but why did they have to address all these only marginally useful gears before the completely new 32T? After they released the 28T finally in 2019, I felt hopeful that they would complete the set soon, but I guess we're still waiting. Someday they've got to do it!

1 minute ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Completely agreed.

That's like the fifth new gear this year, which I won't complain about, but why did they have to address all these only marginally useful gears before the completely new 32T? After they released the 28T finally in 2019, I felt hopeful that they would complete the set soon, but I guess we're still waiting. Someday they've got to do it!

a 10 tooth would be more useful because it can connect two axles that are spaced like so:

Screenshot-20220716-202033-Sariel-s-Gear

The ratio would be 8:10 because it meshes with an 8 tooth gear.