On 5/12/2022 at 1:15 PM, Lyichir said:

Nope, it's shown here! New piece!

ooooh I see.

Edited by SNIPE

Damn, now all they need is a ratchet plate for the other side and then we'll finally have a 3-DOF ratchet joint, perfect for mech hip joints :grin:

15 hours ago, Bricktrain said:

Internally it looks similar to the inline clutch

I was just thinking that, I hope to test this one day.

I do know that the inline clutch fits in the toothed half of a mini turntable, but it petrides like 1.2L which is hard to work with.

With all this talk about ratchet joints, it is kind of a shame that they did not do a version with liftarms, like a mini turntable, instead of pins. Having liftarm connections like the mini turntable would be far more durable, and much more scaleable, as you could slave them together to get stronger joints.

Come to think of it, Lego should just make a pawl piece that meshes with standard gears, enabling you to use an gear you like in a ratcheting joint like this.

Also, while we're at it, Lego should redesign all the wheel hubs to have a connection like the mini turntable, so they don't weeble wobble all over the place.

Does anyone know if the new 20t gears run smoother than the old tan 20t bevel gears when meshed with a 16t gear in the configuration below?

20zGear.png

I always find this combination never runs as smoothly as other gear combinations, and from reading other threads on here it seems to be caused by the newer mould of the bevel gear (which is all I seem to have). I'm hoping the new 20t gear fixes this issue!

1 hour ago, RiGi said:

Does anyone know if the new 20t gears run smoother than the old tan 20t bevel gears when meshed with a 16t gear in the configuration below?

I always find this combination never runs as smoothly as other gear combinations, and from reading other threads on here it seems to be caused by the newer mould of the bevel gear (which is all I seem to have). I'm hoping the new 20t gear fixes this issue!

Perhaps this discussion could help you ...

A bunch of new panels in red and the new yellow 14T and 22T from the Ferrari Daytona set.
new-gears.png

These new yellow gears could be useful in high torque motorized applications as they give a (~1.5x) faster gearing ratio at the diff, so combined with planetary hubs, the drivetrain will not be super slow. I wonder if they have been developed for the Ferrari set, as they don't seem to be required there, an old 20T diff could have been used I guess (almost the same ratio, no need to handle high torque).

2 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

These new yellow gears could be useful in high torque motorized applications as they give a (~1.5x) faster gearing ratio at the diff, so combined with planetary hubs, the drivetrain will not be super slow. I wonder if they have been developed for the Ferrari set, as they don't seem to be required there, an old 20T diff could have been used I guess (almost the same ratio, no need to handle high torque).

I also have a feeling they were developed for a different set, something with a quicker gear ratio than the usual red gear of the differential, yet stronger compared to the old differential. My money is on some sort of a motorized trophy truck or simillar.

Edited by Zerobricks

1 minute ago, Zerobricks said:

I also have a feeling they were developed for a different set, something with a quicker gear ratio than the usual red gear of the differential, yet stronger compared to the old differential. My money is on some sort of a motorized trophy truck or simillar.

I'm also secretly hoping for something like that :) thought I don't remember seeing anything motorized off-road coming in this year's lineup, so maybe next year..

12 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

I'm also secretly hoping for something like that :) thought I don't remember seeing anything motorized off-road coming in this year's lineup, so maybe next year..

Maybe they were designed for the massive Liebherr crane, ergo the yellow color.

1 minute ago, R0Sch said:

Maybe they were designed for the massive Liebherr crane, ergo the yellow color.

I don't think there is any use for a differential a the tracked crane?

They are for more speed not torque - the current red gear can take huge amounts of torque but at high rpm the mesh shape causes precise wear on the outside edge of the frame hole (spur gear). With this new mesh the force will be spread over more area allowing for more speed without requiring metal inserts (ask me how I know). I think this does indicate a new RC but not a groundbreaking one - just one that can fly a little closer to the sun. Using this new gear will reduce peak torque though due to the lower ratio.

31 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

I don't think there is any use for a differential a the tracked crane?

Adder / subtractor system instead of one RC motor per track

?

40 minutes ago, Aerolight said:

the current red gear can take huge amounts of torque but at high rpm the mesh shape causes precise wear on the outside edge of the frame hole (spur gear). 

I'll bet it's about eliminating the 12T spur gear. Those things suck. I have at least 40 of them warped, cracked, chipped, or too wobbly. Since I build mostly off-roaders I almost never use diffs...but make spools with the new  28T gears. I am really looking forward to trying to break these. 12T gears are the worst. 

Edited by shroomzofdoom

39 minutes ago, 1gor said:

Adder / subtractor system instead of one RC motor per track?

That would be neat. The newest tracked bulldozer from CaDA is driven that way although still having 2 RC motors. Still, very ingenious solution that I didn't see in any LEGO set.

18 minutes ago, R0Sch said:

That would be neat. The newest tracked bulldozer from CaDA is driven that way although still having 2 RC motors. Still, very ingenious solution that I didn't see in any LEGO set.

IMHO it would be better to use red gear for that, but you never know. Ferrari is IMHO nice surprise how the (TLC) made huge step forward using technic panels to make proper body shape, so I can not eliminate using adder/subtractor solution on Liebherr

17 minutes ago, msk6003 said:

I wonder both 14t can mesh together...

Great question, would be a good replacement for knob gears. 

15 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

Great question, would be a good replacement for knob gears. 

Not really. The knob gears work at any angle of engagement while bevel gears only work at 90° or face-to-face.

Edited by R0Sch

41 minutes ago, msk6003 said:

I wonder both 14t can mesh together...

I suspect not at a convenient angle. The 22z is closer to a crown gear than a bevel one.

I do like the looks of those new gears, they appear to have much less backlash and likely less friction, they also look much more durable and should run more smoothly at speed, hopefully I can obtain some soon.

Edited by Johnny1360

Not mentioned here yet I believe:

250x250p.jpg

Coming in Black in the new Ferrari (set 42143).