5 minutes ago, howitzer said:

So it would seem. Pretty funky one, though I can't think of a good place to use one outside of something similar to this set.

In my collection I have a bunch of transparent bent liftarms:

250x250p.jpg?1642852710.7341125250x250p.jpg?1642868833.8432698250x250p.jpg?1642526647.151898250x250p.jpg?1642678723.6996636250x250p.png?1642877300.9496946

Sometimes they're nice for making extreme head- or taillights on cars. Although the last one (in trans-neon green) I've never used... But still cool to have :pir-grin:

33 minutes ago, astyanax said:

In my collection I have a bunch of transparent bent liftarms:

Sometimes they're nice for making extreme head- or taillights on cars. Although the last one (in trans-neon green) I've never used... But still cool to have :pir-grin:

Yeah, the trans-clear, trans-orange and trans-red I can see being useful, but the other ones feel a bit odd from Technic point of view...

1 hour ago, howitzer said:

So it would seem. Pretty funky one, though I can't think of a good place to use one outside of something similar to this set.

Just wait a bit and they will appear inside some model in the name of color vomit coding :)

1 hour ago, astyanax said:

In my collection I have a bunch of transparent bent liftarms

Wow, I'm seriously baffled by the existence of these, I didn't know about them; do basic liftarms also exist in these colors? I mean I get that in those sets they look nicer if they appear in the right color, so be it, what I don't get is how on earth at the same time technic models don't deserve to get some pretty basic parts like connectors in simple colors like black / red / yellow! (that could be reused in many sets, unlike these ones I guess; or do they appear in many sets of that theme?)

27 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

Wow, I'm seriously baffled by the existence of these, I didn't know about them; do basic liftarms also exist in these colors?

Not much AFAIK. We have 15L in trans-clear and 4L thin in trans-light blue.

250x250p.jpg?1642528767.6815295250x250p.jpg?1642877525.7519035

I recently used 6 of the latter in a Lamborghini Vision GT (in the roof):

But all of these transparent liftarms are pretty rare in sets, though not too hard to score on BrickLink. I guess there isn't much demand.

There are also a couple of transparent Technic connectors:

250x250p.jpg?1642518111.075204250x250p.jpg?1642876901.2560058250x250p.jpg?1642784221.3829846250x250p.png?1642877323.2611196

31 minutes ago, Glaysche said:

It seems they are half pins with friction, now listed in the new Orchid set on Rebrickable:

https://rebrickable.com/parts/89678/technic-pin-12-with-friction/72/

Oh that's really good to have in DBG!

16 minutes ago, astyanax said:

There are also a couple of transparent Technic connectors

Thanks, I wouldn't have thought that either. The trans clear stuff could be useful actually to build some invisible support structure.

27 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

The trans clear stuff could be useful actually to build some invisible support structure.

Beware though: the 2 trans-clear connectors shown are extremely rare and hard to get. The 15L liftarms are easier. And yes can definitely be used as support, for example:

I was just taking a look at the Bricklink inventory of the old Black Cat Model Team truck (5571), and I noticed something strange. I'd always assumed that that set used the same 62.4x20mm tires that are common these days, in, for example, the 42043 Arocs. However, it turns out that while they look very similar, they are actually slightly bigger, at 68.8x24 mm, and have their own slightly different rim. These old tires only appear in this truck and the 5563 Racing Truck Model Team set, and are quite expensive (I suppose because of the desirability of the 5571 set).

I was very surprised to realize that I had never heard of these tires, and so I checked out Sariel's wheel chart, and found that the old one was nowhere to be found, so I guess I'm not quite as ignorant as I thought.

Are any of you folks aware of these tires? Have they ever come in handy on a MOC?

32003.png

Old^

32019.png

New^

I’m disappointed with LEGO’s quality control, at least that of the Mexico factory that supplies North America. The universal joint seems to have gotten a retool, and the new mold allows an axle to go too far into the part, causing blockages and high friction. Hopefully it will be resolved later.

On the other hand, those transparent pink lift arms are super neat! I don’t think I will end up using them but I want them for the cool factor. I wish there were more transparent parts in general, and now that LEGO retired polycarbonate in favor of MABS, we should see more transparent parts.

To add to the transparent connector discussion, I own what may be the only known official transparent axle? I acquired a 4L axle in trans-clear that has all the LEGO markings on it. It would be super useful if it wasn’t so impossibly rare.

Axle 4 Trans-Clear (yes, it's real!)

6 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

I was just taking a look at the Bricklink inventory of the old Black Cat Model Team truck (5571), and I noticed something strange. I'd always assumed that that set used the same 62.4x20mm tires that are common these days, in, for example, the 42043 Arocs. However, it turns out that while they look very similar, they are actually slightly bigger, at 68.8x24 mm, and have their own slightly different rim. These old tires only appear in this truck and the 5563 Racing Truck Model Team set, and are quite expensive (I suppose because of the desirability of the 5571 set).

I was very surprised to realize that I had never heard of these tires, and so I checked out Sariel's wheel chart, and found that the old one was nowhere to be found, so I guess I'm not quite as ignorant as I thought.

Are any of you folks aware of these tires? Have they ever come in handy on a MOC?

I have them from 5571. They’re significantly bigger in diameter, which is nice for ground clearance (see e.g. the suspension on the tow truck from Andrea Grazi). However, as I only have six of them and they’re very expensive, I never use them.

3 hours ago, lcvisser said:

I have them from 5571. They’re significantly bigger in diameter, which is nice for ground clearance (see e.g. the suspension on the tow truck from Andrea Grazi). However, as I only have six of them and they’re very expensive, I never use them.

Sell them, and get yourself 6 of those new Batman tires. BrickLink - Part 52985 : LEGO Tire 68.7 x 27 S [Tire & Tread] - BrickLink Reference Catalog

Same diameter, 3 mm wider, and a lot cheaper (even though they are also still in only 1 set...).

Edit: average used bricklink prices for wheel+tyre is around 35 euro for the 5571 and 6 euro for the new Batman tyre, so that is 29 euro profit per tyre. Ridiculous, but take your advantage :)

Edited by Erik Leppen

On 5/3/2022 at 2:13 PM, Erik Leppen said:

Same diameter

Ouch, indeed! I have never thought about it... Same thread pattern, same diameter, harder rubber - amazing replacement!

Yes I had noticed that as well, good that it is finally available, does anyone know about it's use in current or future sets?

not exactualy breaking news but 4L gear rack plates in white in the new 21058 The Great Pyramid of Giza set.

Also the light yellow technic ring 11L comes in white now too. (77017)

Edited by SNIPE

Don't know if there's much interest among Technic fans for this but the new Ninjago Ultra Dragon (71774) has the gear rack from the UCS AT-AT (part 78442) in either tan or dark tan (not 100% sure which). I think that set and the Optimus Prime set also feature a new joint connector for the hips—specifically, a part that adapts a System brick (possibly with Technic hole?) to the AT-AT-style ratchet joint used for the hips. If nothing else it might have use as a detail on MOCs—I'm eager to see reviews to see what that part looks like in isolation.

6 hours ago, SNIPE said:

not exactualy breaking news but 4L gear rack plates in white in the new 21058 The Great Pyramid of Giza set.

But I got those on the bonnet of my big Ecto-1 (10274) for quite a while now... :wink:

5 hours ago, Lyichir said:

If nothing else it might have use as a detail on MOCs—I'm eager to see reviews to see what that part looks like in isolation.

Is this what you mean?

On the trans discussion, one practical use I saw for the trans angle liftarms was sn off brand tensegrity of the house from the Pixar movie "Up".  Impractical as it may be, it'd be fun to see something intricate like 42100 in 100% trans with different color LED lighting up functions or something. I combined the led bricks with the motor from the latest batmobile and that looks pretty cool. As a kid, I had a thing for trans parts (giggity) and would collect them from all my sets because they're so different. 

Separate topic, but I found this interesting given the only two sets it appears 80910.png in https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=80910

8 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Don't know if there's much interest among Technic fans for this but the new Ninjago Ultra Dragon (71774) has the gear rack from the UCS AT-AT (part 78442) in either tan or dark tan (not 100% sure which). I think that set and the Optimus Prime set also feature a new joint connector for the hips—specifically, a part that adapts a System brick (possibly with Technic hole?) to the AT-AT-style ratchet joint used for the hips. If nothing else it might have use as a detail on MOCs—I'm eager to see reviews to see what that part looks like in isolation.

That's interesting indeed, if for no other reason, then that it makes the part more easily available and common, thus cheaper.

5 hours ago, astyanax said:

No (though the Optimus Prime set has that in red, too). There's some sort of new piece using the larger AT-AT click joint—something like this piece but without extra liftarm bit sticking off, and with either pins on the back to connect it to a Technic brick, or some sort of brick affixed permanently to the back. It's used in combination with this part (which is already available in several Ninjago/Monkie Kid sets).

15 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

No (though the Optimus Prime set has that in red, too). There's some sort of new piece using the larger AT-AT click joint—something like this piece but without extra liftarm bit sticking off, and with either pins on the back to connect it to a Technic brick, or some sort of brick affixed permanently to the back. It's used in combination with this part (which is already available in several Ninjago/Monkie Kid sets).

I think its just a friction join with pin and then the new 1x2x2 brick with pinhole and friction socket.

so, something on this page connected to this

if not check these 3 sets: https://brickset.com/sets/containing-design-79505

Edited by SNIPE