33 minutes ago, shroomzofdoom said:

I stumbled across the 45607 motors on lego education a while back.  They looked similar to the 45603 angular motors that came in 51515.  The pics on the site aren't clear as to whether there is one or two axle outputs so I ordered one to find out.  I was hoping to use this to fire a changeover catch on both sides of a transmission but I'll have to modify my design somewhat.  Just figured I'd share that it only has one output.  I'm not really a big fan of these rotating wheel output doohickeys.

If I remember they were used in this Creation by @MP LEGO Technic creations

Medium motor:

https://education.lego.com/v3/assets/blt293eea581807678a/blt692436dd1e8fa71c/5f8801d5c8a27c1d9614c27e/techspecs_technicmediumangularmotor.pdf

Small motor:

https://education.lego.com/v3/assets/blt293eea581807678a/blt20ee0f27f6735942/60fe86455483765886b0da3c/LE_SPIKE_Essential_Tech_fact_sheet_Small_Angular_Motor_45607_2HY21_Digital.pdf

The big question with the small motor is voltage... according to specs its max voltage is 6V. If we take that strictly it is not compatible with Technic hub. Note that Pybricks has a special setting to limit voltage for motor output. Unfortunately I have neither the hub, nor the motor to check deeper.

7 hours ago, Philo said:

The big question with the small motor is voltage... according to specs its max voltage is 6V. If we take that strictly it is not compatible with Technic hub. Note that Pybricks has a special setting to limit voltage for motor output. Unfortunately I have neither the hub, nor the motor to check deeper.

Considering your extensive work on the subject I figured the least I could do is perform a rudimentary geek test and share the video results. Thank you for all the hard work over the years, I use your page often!

VRCU6G.md.jpg

I tested with a Buwizz 3.0 (on 'Slow' and 'Ludicrous'), a Technic hub, and a the mindstorms hub.  All fired the motor which I found surprising as well.  I bought it primarily to fire a changeover catch, so it should do the trick.

Edited by shroomzofdoom

Thank you! I've been trying to find more information on this motor as it appears in might be a good servo for pneumatic valves. 

12 hours ago, Philo said:

Medium motor:

https://education.lego.com/v3/assets/blt293eea581807678a/blt692436dd1e8fa71c/5f8801d5c8a27c1d9614c27e/techspecs_technicmediumangularmotor.pdf

Small motor:

https://education.lego.com/v3/assets/blt293eea581807678a/blt20ee0f27f6735942/60fe86455483765886b0da3c/LE_SPIKE_Essential_Tech_fact_sheet_Small_Angular_Motor_45607_2HY21_Digital.pdf

These suggest the motors can be controlled with an accuracy of +- 3 degrees, but that doesn't seem to be the case for me when using a regular technic hub and the powered up app. The motor doesn't seem to follow the position of the slider that accurately and appears to make 20 or so degree jumps instead of smoothly and accurately following the position of a slider.  

Thanks @shroomzofdoom! The fact that LEGO supports the id of the small motor on Technic and RI hubs proves that they consider it to be compatible. Of course the may have capped the duty cycle to limit effective voltage on the motor. Anyway, DC motors are very rugged and the real limitation would be power dissipation in the motor. But we won't ask the puny small motor to make the work of an XL one ;)

Thanks @shroomzofdoom for this information. Very keen to get one of these motors.

1 hour ago, allanp said:

The motor doesn't seem to follow the position of the slider that accurately and appears to make 20 or so degree jumps instead of smoothly and accurately following the position of a slider.  

What speed is the motor at? I always run into problems at ~20% speed or less.

2 hours ago, ord said:

Thanks @shroomzofdoom for this information. Very keen to get one of these motors.

What speed is the motor at? I always run into problems at ~20% speed or less.

It's when I use the motor as a servo. When I slowly and smoothly move the slider in the powered up app I would expect the motor to move slowly and smoothly with it, but it doesn't seem to do that, instead it seems to take big jumps. Cheapo RC servos can follow the movements of your input much more accurately to the point of any difference being imperceptible. 

I think it's a problem with the Powered Up app (I've been frustrated by this too). Maybe it's because commands and feedback are sent via Bluetooth, causing delays...

Controlling the motors with Pybricks or Mindstorms software seems to be within +- 3 degrees.

Hi all,

Sorry to interrupt the discussion on Power Up issues. I am probably a bit late to the party, but I've just reached out the Lego Customer Service regarding the availability of new parts at Bick-a-Brick. They replied that the service is still in a testing phase and they are gathering the feedback from the users to guide the potential changes. So if getting new parts through Pick-a-Brick is important to you please write an e-mail to them and express your concerns.

Edited by proran

That small motor sounds great for gear switching purpose, and I assume it also has enough power for pneumatic switches.

Now the only question is, how do I obtain few of those motors...

5 hours ago, howitzer said:

That small motor sounds great for gear switching purpose, and I assume it also has enough power for pneumatic switches.

Now the only question is, how do I obtain few of those motors...

This link @1gor put above looks like it could be used to buy them, but maybe you have to have some educational connection to do so?

https://education.lego.com/en-us/products/lego-technic-small-angular-motor/45607

6 hours ago, msk6003 said:

Here is link of new small angular motor disassemble.

That's interesting. The one you disassembled has axle outputs on both sides. More like what I was hoping to get when I ordered mine. The one I got only had the axle output on the 1L thick 'wheel' side

13 minutes ago, shroomzofdoom said:

That's interesting. The one you disassembled has axle outputs on both sides. More like what I was hoping to get when I ordered mine. The one I got only had the axle output on the 1L thick 'wheel' side

I think you might be looking at the wrong one in that thread. The first thing he takes apart is the large one, which does have the extra output, but towards the bottom of the first page, where he does the small one, you can see that it does only have one output, unfortunately.

I have been wanting to buy this small motor for quite some time, and could not find it on lego.com, thanks for that link @1gor. Interestingly, it seems to be possible to buy only in the US, if I pick another country, it does not put out any price. Ordering from the US, if it even works, would cost $52 with shipping, which is quite a lot though..

40 minutes ago, MP LEGO Technic creations said:

It works, because that's how I got my one.

Did you buy yours through a dealer? I also tried finding a dealer in Hungary, found one, but it does not seem to be selling to individuals, not even the whole Spike Essential set, not to mention parts of it.

Wonder if these will ever be released in any technic set. It would be useful for quite a few tasks, but the voltage does suggest that it won't really officially be working with the Technic Hub. Even the description on lego.com says that it supports the large (mindstorms) and the small (spike essential) hubs, both rechargeables, but does not mention the medium (regular Technic) one.

@gyenesvi no problem for link. It is my primary area for mocing agricultural equipment so I used Ropa Creation to show where it could be used. You're welcome 

13 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

I also tried finding a dealer in Hungary, found one, but it does not seem to be selling to individuals, not even the whole Spike Essential set, not to mention parts of it

I also went on this dealer's website and there seems to be the whole SPIKE Essentials set (unfortunately not for sale), as well as medium and large angular motors (not for sale either).

What about ordering in some other country (for exmple Slovakia) - there can be bought for approx. 50€.

2 hours ago, MP LEGO Technic creations said:

What about ordering in some other country (for exmple Slovakia) - there can be bought for approx. 50€.

Hmm, that's even a bit more expensive than the $52 from the US.. I expected these motors for about half the price, or maybe at most 30€.

3 hours ago, MP LEGO Technic creations said:

Here's the link from LEGO Education's website where you choose your country and find a distributor accordingly.

https://education.lego.com/en-us/shop/find-distributor

It works, because that's how I got my one.

Thats exactly how i found a place to buy mine as well.  :)

For those in Denmark, i suggest taking a look at the KidsPrint reseller, as thats where i bought mine, along with the 3x3 LED matrix (45608).
I dont think the other danish resellers listed on the website sell to individuals (havent tried, i might be wrong), but KidsPrint didnt seem to mind, back when i ordered mine months ago. :)

On 4/8/2022 at 4:27 PM, TechnicRCRacer said:

My March 1st order (pre-merger) says it is shipped and I ordered a lot of the new parts, I hope they will be in the package.

Good news, everything I ordered including the new parts is there. If you ordered right before the merger, you should receive everything.

10 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

I think you might be looking at the wrong one in that thread. The first thing he takes apart is the large one, which does have the extra output, but towards the bottom of the first page, where he does the small one, you can see that it does only have one output, unfortunately.

Thank you for clarifying! I totally missed that

18 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

This link @1gor put above looks like it could be used to buy them, but maybe you have to have some educational connection to do so?

https://education.lego.com/en-us/products/lego-technic-small-angular-motor/45607

Thanks for the link, I actually found a couple of local resellers who carry educational sets, but unfortunately neither of them have the motor in question in stock.

They both carry the Spike Prime Essentials set though, which have two of those motors, the new 3x3 light matrix piece, colour sensor and apparently a some kind of mini-hub. Anyone know more about this hub? I couldn't find it in Bricklink or Rebrickable...