There is also four of those in the current Batman Selina motorcycle chase set and it is relatively inexpensive. I can see how it will be a handy part in future plans.

I have broken a number of 12z single bevel gears recently.  A PF-M motor powered by a BuWizz on Ludicrous speed will break orthogonal 12z gears if geared down 12/20, but not (so far) if geared down 14/20.  

Would either of these parts be more robust than 12z single bevels? I assume so but don’t want to break my single copy of either during testing.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=45360#T=C&C=12

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=46217c01#T=C&C=12

Is one stronger than the other?

I've never broke any gears except for 1 old 8 tooth and 1 old 16 tooth, they were yellowed pretty bad so..

15 hours ago, shroomzofdoom said:

When the 3L pin with bush stop is too long and you need it to be only 2L.  

20220221_104008.jpg

For that middle case there is elegant solution with axle/pin + plus the same axlhole(1L bush)/2L pin.

Yes, if You need to add axle with 1L distance, then there are "issues".

There is a solution with existing parts for all examples above, probably even more beneficial once placed in the surrounding structure.

Also, if it would be essential, LEGO would have brought it on the table already.

Speaking of experience, such specialized parts are always the lazy solution, with a bit (or lot) tinkering, rebuilding the actual structure, I always got an even better idea - with on hand parts only = fun.

2 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Does anyone have the Studio file for the new 2x5 panel extender liftarm?

Assuming you mean 80286, it's available in the unofficial parts library at ldraw.org, maybe that helps.

On 2/14/2022 at 5:39 PM, LvdH said:

Well, they're not lying. My order from January 3rd shipped today, exactly six weeks :laugh: 

Also my 'recent' B&P order just shipped after precisely 6 weeks and 1 day. :cry_happy:

(Okay let's ignore that 1 day as I may have made the order in the evening.)

Something else.

Something never seen before between versions of Technic double-beveled gears :

DblBevelGearsVersions.jpg

on the Z36 one, besides the difference on the rim (its thickness) and the hub (shape details), the phase of the teeth is inverted :

• "peaks" aligned with beams on the thick one on the left (probably the latest version)
  • "valleys" aligned with beams on the thin one on the right (probably the older version ; only two of them in my inventory)

However, the tooth phase doesn't change between versions for the Z20 and the Z12 (I placed the latest versions on the right).

25 minutes ago, Thierry-GearsManiac said:

Something else.

on the Z36 one, besides the difference on the rim (its thickness) and the hub (shape details), the phase of the teeth is inverted :

• "peaks" aligned with beams on the thick one on the left (probably the latest version)
  • "valleys" aligned with beams on the thin one on the right (probably the older version ; only two of them in my inventory)

However, the tooth phase doesn't change between versions for the Z20 and the Z12 (I placed the latest versions on the right).

That is very odd indeed, you sure it's a genuine Lego part?

@Thierry-GearsManiacthat could be useful when angular position is important in a gear train - for example, I was working on a steering mechanism with two 12z teeth meshing, which led to an unwanted 15 degree offset.

On 2/24/2022 at 12:16 AM, Zerobricks said:

That is very odd indeed, you sure it's a genuine Lego part?

Although I ordered all my Z36 gears on Bricklink (a few years ago), I'll try to find traceability/identifying markings on both of them...

EDIT20220227 : the Z36 gear on the left (probably the current version, same as pictured on Bricklink) has no markings at all, whereas the one on the right has "51436" and "01-02" deep in the blind holes around the center axle hole, on one side.

On 2/24/2022 at 12:36 AM, Hrafn said:

@Thierry-GearsManiacthat could be useful when angular position is important in a gear train - for example, I was working on a steering mechanism with two 12z teeth meshing, which led to an unwanted 15 degree offset

Yes, I already encountered this kind of situation when thinking about other symmetrical designs involving the meshing of identical Technic gears (either directly or with a worm gear between them).

But I don't think that LEGO will create tooth phase variants for every Technic gear size, otherwise many people won't notice these subtle difference among variants, mixing up them, and having trouble when paralleling them.

With teeth numbers being multiples of 4, the phase remains the same for any 90° insertion orientation on an axle.

Other gear families however contain gears with teeth numbers either odd multiples of 2 (all splat gears for example) ==> half phase per 90° step, or purely odd (all old "Expert Designer" ones) ==> quarter phase per 90° step.

Edited by Thierry-GearsManiac
English grammar mistake + further response

18 hours ago, Thierry-GearsManiac said:

Something else.

DblBevelGearsVersions.jpg

I'm pretty curious about this, but your image isn't seeming to work for me. I'm not sure if this is happening for everyone, but I'd love to see it!

57 minutes ago, Thierry-GearsManiac said:

Other gear families however contain gears with teeth numbers either odd multiples of 2 (all splat gears for example) ==> half phase per 90° step, or purely odd (all old "Expert Designer" ones) ==> quarter phase per 90° step.

In the Technic gear lineup, there are the old 14-tooth gears, which I have used precisely for this reason.

Happy to report that all axle holes in both 85x85p.jpg and 85x85p.jpg are perfectly aligned in the fresh batch of parts that I just received from B&P. :pir-sweet:

14 hours ago, astyanax said:

Happy to report that all axle holes in both 85x85p.jpg and 85x85p.jpg are perfectly aligned in the fresh batch of parts that I just received from B&P. :pir-sweet:

Nice, looks like TLG is making effort to fix quality issues!

As the 10298 Vespa has been announced, the new wheel and tire seem to be a really great addition.

Vespa.jpg

Dimensions should be about 9 studs in diameter and a width of 2.5 studs, so about the size of the Arocs wheels. As the wheels hubs of the 42130 are used, we get the typical 3 or 6 pinholes connection in the wheel.

With this size, I think it would be perfect for some older classic cars in 1:10 or 1:12 scale:

corvette-c1-l-03.jpg

1 hour ago, Jundis said:

Dimensions should be about 9 studs in diameter and a width of 2.5 studs, so about the size of the Arocs wheels

Indeed it seems like at least 9 studs diameter, maybe even slightly more. But that's 9 * 8 = 72mm at least, which is 10mm larger than the Arocs wheels if I'm right, more like the recent buggy tires (75mm). I wonder if these tires would fit on the Raptor's rims, that would be cool. But as you say, these rims are great for vintage cars, which is cool :)

28 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

Indeed it seems like at least 9 studs diameter, maybe even slightly more. But that's 9 * 8 = 72mm at least, which is 10mm larger than the Arocs wheels if I'm right, more like the recent buggy tires (75mm). I wonder if these tires would fit on the Raptor's rims, that would be cool. But as you say, these rims are great for vintage cars, which is cool :)

About diameter you are probably right, but I'm afraid it won't fit on raptor's rims because tire is narrower than rim; rims are 43.2 x 26 and 2.5 studs (assumed tire width) are 20 mm

In the New Elementary review of the McLaren F1 car, (https://www.newelementary.com/2022/02/lego-technic-review-42141-mclaren.html) it was pointed out that the mini panel extender can be used to make a one-way ratcheting system. It also works with the 2x3 extender, though it's of course bigger, but the small one in particular seems like it could be used for some interesting micro piston engines. If these extenders were used instead of 2L beams on the crankshaft, the pistons falling down would lock the engine against reversing, which would be somewhat realistic, since real engines are (the vast majority of the time) irreversible. Of course, to actually make such a model playable, you'd need a reverse gear, but if you've already got a transmission with reverse, this could be a cool way to give you a reason to use it!

44 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Of course, to actually make such a model playable, you'd need a reverse gear, but if you've already got a transmission with reverse, this could be a cool way to give you a reason to use it!

For a ratchet mechanism it is a nice idea but for an engine of a small car, I fear it will really hinder playability or some parts will break. It could be used for 18+ sets, but not for normal sets.

2 hours ago, Jundis said:

For a ratchet mechanism it is a nice idea but for an engine of a small car, I fear it will really hinder playability or some parts will break. It could be used for 18+ sets, but not for normal sets.

Oh, I'm not suggesting that it would be a good idea to put that kind of engine in a set, just that it might be fun in a MOC with an operator who knows what's going on.