5 minutes ago, howitzer said:

I believe Mixel joints are compatible with Technic towballs for connections with friction. Of course they come only with studs/antistuds, which makes them harder to use in tight spaces as opposed to hypothetical towball socket with pin or something.

You could be right, but an some hour and a half I'll try with arm from 8297 set (got one idea and if it works I'll post it in my thread), but firth I have to bath my Yorkie :wink:

Maybe these old school steering hubs will be useful again. It will be a challenge to integrate them properly, but it shouldn't be impossible.
6571.png

Just now, LvdH said:

Maybe these old school steering hubs will be useful again. It will be a challenge to integrate them properly, but it shouldn't be impossible.

I have 2 of them in black - the correct amount but could not make construction stiff enough for my RC tractor :wink: but I welcome your honest intentions :sweet:

20 minutes ago, 1gor said:

I have 2 of them in black - the correct amount but could not make construction stiff enough for my RC tractor

Yeah, I've thought about it but there really is no obvious way to stiffen it up. I thought of this initially but forgot the 42099 hubs don't have pin holes:

kmmbrVx.png

4 hours ago, LvdH said:

Yeah, I've thought about it but there really is no obvious way to stiffen it up. I thought of this initially but forgot the 42099 hubs don't have pin holes:

I have tried with this suspension arm hoping that differential could fit inside gap ... but there as a 1mm gap between frame and suspension arm if I don't want that differential rubs on suspension arm.

57515.png

On 1/2/2022 at 3:28 PM, LvdH said:

I only managed to got an idea how to use connectors like this 

640x853.jpg

800x600.jpg

It steers, but I have to find the way to increase steering angle but not to loose stiffness.

@1gor That’s one crazy idea (in a good sense)! It seems to have some tension though. But I like you guys are thinking in this direction, such a part is really missing. I proposed earlier some similar parts to 3d print for @efferman (in his custom parts thread), basically that connector with a towball socket instead of the pinhole. We did design a few variants, check out if you are interested, we might together agree on a varient that could be put onto shapeways and tested.

Edited by gyenesvi

13 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

@1gor That’s one crazy idea (in a good sense)! It seems to have some tension though. But I like you guys are thinking in this direction, such a part is really missing. I proposed earlier some similar parts to 3d print for @efferman (in his custom parts thread), basically that connector with a towball socket instead of the pinhole. We did design a few variants, check out if you are interested, we might together agree on a varient that could be put onto shapeways and tested.

Honestly shapeways parts are very fragile (at least what I bought) and if I don't sand axle holes perfectly when pushing axle through hole part either brake or connection was to loose... The main goal was to find appropriate reduction for my ongoing project since I don't know reduction on @efferman's Effersen mining dump truck...and have similar configuration - 2 XL motors for propulsion.

It appears that there is a new mold for this part 12383.png

500x200.png

Top - old; Bottom - new. 

Does someone know the reason for this change? Maybe easier to insert? The new version seems to be slightly looser, but not by much.

12 hours ago, ord said:

It appears that there is a new mold for this part 

Top - old; Bottom - new. 

Does someone know the reason for this change? Maybe easier to insert? The new version seems to be slightly looser, but not by much.

Looks like they're bringing it in line with the new mold for the similar part (whatever it's called). At least this one didn't have a bar hole to lose!

76398_alt6.jpg

Is my eyes weird or that 40t gear is really dark turquoise? Last release of colored variant of 40t gear is 2006.

13 minutes ago, msk6003 said:

Is my eyes weird or that 40t gear is really dark turquoise? Last release of colored variant of 40t gear is 2006.

I don't think so—based on the shadows on nearby parts I think it's just light grey with some photoshopped magic effects (note the light blue "sparkle" on the upper right of the gear. Dark turquoise wouldn't be a totally new color for that part anyway—it appeared in that color in Throwbots/Slizer (though I think the mold has been updated since then).

Edited by Lyichir

Yep, I'm also guessing normal LBG and some lighting/photoshop-effects based on the photo of the box.

No, it's just normal gray. Just compare with the dark tan axle and the dark gray 24t gear above it.

Nothing special (although a 40t by itself is rather rare, even in gray).

There is a strange difference for the part Technic, Liftarm, Modified L-Shape Quarter Ellipse Thick 2 x 5 (80286). The shape between the 2 last pin holes is different: see the images below.

The image on BrickLink is this:

80286_BrickLink.png

This is the same as the image on Bricks and Pieces which is this:

80286_Bricks%20and%20Pieces.png

But the image from ldraw is this:

80286_ldraw.png

This is the same as the image from the review of 42137 from @Jim which is this:

80286_Review%2042137%20Jim.jpg

Is the shape from the images on BrickLink and Bricks and Pieces a pre-production shape?

4 minutes ago, technicmath said:

Is the shape from the images on BrickLink and Bricks and Pieces a pre-production shape?

I noticed this as well. I think it’s safe to assume that the BL and B&P photos represent a preliminary design. This isn’t the first time LEGO has done this; in 2000, many of the sets with the 5x3 curved arch thin liftarm use an earlier version of that piece in the box art.

13 hours ago, technicmath said:

This is the same as the image from the review of 42137 from @Jim which is this:

Which makes sense since I made the LDraw part from Jim's photo :laugh:

4 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

Talk about that part, is the crosshole properly aligned?

I bought three sets two days ago; two have the larger 5x2 version and all three have the smaller one. All cross holes on every part line up properly.

6 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

Talk about that part, is the crosshole properly aligned?

I bought recently 10 pieces of the 2x3 panel extenders in LBG from B&P. There's still some variation, but much less than with the yellow and black ones which I bought last winter. I can't say it's not noticeable, but I don't think the variation is large enough to be problematic.

On 1/4/2022 at 12:35 AM, ord said:

It appears that there is a new mold for this part 

Top - old; Bottom - new. 

Aligning the slits like that might make it easier to insert. I always start my pins at a slight angle, and I have found the old molds to be very stiff to insert.

On 1/6/2022 at 4:17 PM, LvdH said:

Part 42195 is now available in DBG:
I remember needing them for something but I can't remember what :grin: 

Cool! My 180SX could use those for the rollcage, but maybe I'll leave the alternative solution in the instructions as this brick will not be very common for a while...

Y'all might be interested in part 24144:

85x85p.jpg

It has an axle hole on one end, and a bar on the other end. The angle is the same as the #5 connector. It might be useful for putting bodywork at funky angles where space is tight. 

There's one twist though: the axle hole is rotated 45 degrees! :drunk:

1 hour ago, astyanax said:

Y'all might be interested in part 24144:

85x85p.jpg

It has an axle hole on one end, and a bar on the other end. The angle is the same as the #5 connector. It might be useful for putting bodywork at funky angles where space is tight. 

There's one twist though: the axle hole is rotated 45 degrees! :drunk:

Another twist: the axle hole has very poor clutch on an axle, so don’t expect the connection to stay intact in a collision.