59 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

A thin 8L or 9L liftarm would be useful because it will allow a micro inline 6 engines with 1/2 pins.

Very often I needed them for stiffness when ground clearance was an issue e.g. my telehandler, syntrac and fastrac projects are on standstill because of that (or I should start (re)building every MOC in 1:18 scale cause of 7 studs thin liftarms availability)

I haven't been building much recently, but while making my TC21 entry I felt that the new flipflop beams could be useful, so I ordered a bunch from Bricklink. They arrived a couple of days ago, and I've gotta say, they are a game changer. So many connections made so much easier, which leads to stronger yet more lightweight structures. Now I only wish I had more of them and in more lengths. It feels that enough of them would make the traditional beams more like a specialized part only necessary in few places while the new beams will become the basic structural part.

1 hour ago, howitzer said:

I haven't been building much recently, but while making my TC21 entry I felt that the new flipflop beams could be useful, so I ordered a bunch from Bricklink. They arrived a couple of days ago, and I've gotta say, they are a game changer. So many connections made so much easier, which leads to stronger yet more lightweight structures. Now I only wish I had more of them and in more lengths. It feels that enough of them would make the traditional beams more like a specialized part only necessary in few places while the new beams will become the basic structural part.

That is something that I was waiting for for years and indeed I can optimize lots of my builds and make more compart builds in future. Now it 7 studs long beam would be made upcoming year then I'll change my mind and save some amount for them, although I didn't plan to buy Lego next year for varies reasons and space / place is one of them...

I ordered some for the contest too and they are amazing. I thought I seen new flip-flop beams in the new sets, I could be wrong.

6 hours ago, howitzer said:

they are a game changer. So many connections made so much easier, which leads to stronger yet more lightweight structures.

I second that. And they combine well with frames and panels too. Me too waiting fore more lengths to appear, hoping at least for 7L. Though 3-4-5L would also be very useful, but not really holding my breath for those unfortunately.

6 hours ago, howitzer said:

It feels that enough of them would make the traditional beams more like a specialized part only necessary in few places while the new beams will become the basic structural part.

I would not go as far as that. The flip-flops don't work when you need two adjacent pin holes in the same direction (or with any even spacing), which happens quite often. But the two systems would nicely complement each other, given that they both form a complete system (all lengths covered).

6 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

I would not go as far as that. The flip-flops don't work when you need two adjacent pin holes in the same direction (or with any even spacing), which happens quite often. But the two systems would nicely complement each other, given that they both form a complete system (all lengths covered).

Of course they won't but my guess is that the building styles will change to reflect the new beams, and less and less old beams are going being used as structural part. They are of course needed still for exteriors and sometimes in structural purposes, so it's not like they are going away. It's just that flipflops will mostly replace the traditional ones in chassis building and such.

I don't think there will be more flip flop beams used than normal ones to build strong frames. Flip flop beams are awesome, they allow for new strong connections. But that is only useful in certain places, like edges or sth like that.

Additionaly, flip flop beams arn't as strong as normal ones. They bend more easily.

Edited by Gray Gear

1 hour ago, Gray Gear said:

Additionaly, flip flop beams arn't as strong as normal ones. They bend more easily.

Why would that be? Has someone actually already measured their resistance to bending? I know the normal beams have been studied extensively but it would surely be nice to know how the flipflops compare.

@howitzer that would be nice to see indeed. Normal liftarms have one direction that bends more easily than the other. Flip Flop beams bend about as much as the weaker direction of a normal beam in both directions, at least it feels like it. I compared CADA to CADA, but LEGO to LEGO should behave about the same. But my test is not scientific in any way, I just tried to how easy it is to bend with my hands :laugh:

Edited by Gray Gear

I would also assume that the flip flop beams are more expensive to make due to their geometry.

1 hour ago, allanp said:

I would also assume that the flip flop beams are more expensive to make due to their geometry.

Yes, that's true as the mould is more complex, but I don't think that matters a lot in the bigger picture. Technic bricks would require similarly complex mould, and they also contain more ABS, though in comparison beams require more pins to connect, which make for an additional cost. On the other hand, flipflop beams probably save some parts as less connectors (and by extension, pins) are required for sturdy builds.

Rebrickable states that the red half pin in the 42134 monster truck indeed is a new part and has friction!! Also it has many new parts in medium blue.

Also, the 3L axle extender (driving ring holder smooth) appears for the first time in Dark Bluish Gray in a City set.

Edited by TechnicRCRacer

14 minutes ago, astyanax said:

Unfortunately no. The amount of (technic) parts with towball socket is annoyingly limited IMO.

You have another member in your club. Thank you. I was hoping that I've missed something during my dark ages

36 minutes ago, 1gor said:

You have another member in your club. Thank you. I was hoping that I've missed something during my dark ages

In fact we had a discussion about this on the previous page (119).

13 minutes ago, astyanax said:

In fact we had a discussion about this on the previous page (119).

It seems that I was to lazy to look back ...

@1gor I recently found out about the existence of part 23922: one of very few 'small' parts featuring a towball socket. It might give some possibilities. But maybe not. I don't have it to experiment with.

85x85p.jpg?1626703731.6514924

27 minutes ago, astyanax said:

@1gor I recently found out about the existence of part 23922: one of very few 'small' parts featuring a towball socket. It might give some possibilities. But maybe not. I don't have it to experiment with.

I have one, but need stiffness for front axle because I wanted to use reduction hubs from 42099 set...only one side at the differential gear I bugging me ...perhaps I could widen arms from 8297 set ...

EDIT: sorry I forgot to remove image when quoted :sad:

Edited by 1gor

I believe Mixel joints are compatible with Technic towballs for connections with friction. Of course they come only with studs/antistuds, which makes them harder to use in tight spaces as opposed to hypothetical towball socket with pin or something.