2 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

As long as the model is going to be slow, I probably wouldn't worry about it. At least, I've used it before without much trouble.

I planned to motorize it, but it is meant to be used on carpet (to act like off-road use)...

1 minute ago, 1gor said:

I planned to motorize it, but it is meant to be used on carpet (to act like off-road use)...

Ok. I guess the question is how many revolutions you plan to put on that wheel in the lifetime of a MOC. If it's going to be a lot (either all at once or over time) wear might be a consideration, and if it is going to be fast, friction might be a consideration, but so long as it's slower and isn't going to be used on a regular basis I expect you'd be fine. It also does push the rim out at the top, giving the wheel a little camber.

I guess it also comes down to style. I'm fine with a bit of quick-and-dirty on my MOCs so long as it works, but other people are more perfectionist, which is fine.

5 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Ok. I guess the question is how many revolutions you plan to put on that wheel in the lifetime of a MOC. If it's going to be a lot (either all at once or over time) wear might be a consideration, and if it is going to be fast, friction might be a consideration, but so long as it's slower and isn't going to be used on a regular basis I expect you'd be fine. It also does push the rim out at the top, giving the wheel a little camber.

I guess it also comes down to style. I'm fine with a bit of quick-and-dirty on my MOCs so long as it works, but other people are more perfectionist, which is fine.

Honestly my idea was to make one future tractor concept, but when I find time for that perhaps I change my mind... anyway additional information is always welcome :sweet:

2 hours ago, Technicallism said:

When we saw the new smaller Gear Rack ?x? Curved, immediately make me think of some rotating pick/hoist mechanisms if it gonna use in some 2HY set? Maybe a crane arm ?

I'd say they can be used as grapplers

XCMG-Zl50gn-Log-Wheel-Loader-3ton-Front-

5 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I'd say they can be used as grapplers

Mmmm, they should also handle the wooden beams the best with their inner teeth. :wub:

I wonder if we can fit the friends technic hoop piece (77107) inbetween the inner and outer curved gear strips

And then we can put a large turntable inside of the inner curved gear rack piece and then a differential inside of the turntable

Then put an axle thru the differential but no need for bevel gears.

Edited by SNIPE

There just might have been a few uses in very rare instances before, but now that we have the LBG 3L pin with the stop at the end, virtually all of those uses can be better served now. Now the only reasons I can imagine are for a strange aesthetic detail in a lime vehicle or for a situation that requires something in the shape of that leaf for a stop or something.

I'm looking for a part that has either a frictionless axle hole or a pin hole without ridges. i need to route an axle through a 3L space, but at the end of its range of motion it's only about a stud deep into its housing so if I, for example, stack technic liftarms or bricks 3 in a row, the axle tends to get caught on the ridges in between them.

it doesn't need to be a technic part, could be system as well, but i am woefully out of date on part knowledge. any help is appreciated.

51 minutes ago, arieben said:

I'm looking for a part that has either a frictionless axle hole or a pin hole without ridges. i need to route an axle through a 3L space, but at the end of its range of motion it's only about a stud deep into its housing so if I, for example, stack technic liftarms or bricks 3 in a row, the axle tends to get caught on the ridges in between them.

it doesn't need to be a technic part, could be system as well, but i am woefully out of date on part knowledge. any help is appreciated.

This site will update your part knowledge.

I can'r really help unless I have images of what it is you're building but there will most likley be a solution if not many,

@arieben why does the axle need to go through any parts at all in that space?

if you are concerned about it getting off center, how about using a 3L axle joiner to connect two shorter axles? The axle joiners provide a lot of stiffness.

On 11/21/2021 at 6:02 PM, SNIPE said:

This site will update your part knowledge.

I can'r really help unless I have images of what it is you're building but there will most likley be a solution if not many,

Thank you. I'll look through that for a while to at least catch up and hopefully find what I'm looking for.

I had been away from the project for a while and thought an axle hole would work, but upon further inspection it would need to be a pin hole as the axles need to rotate relative to the assembly they're sliding through.

On 11/21/2021 at 9:27 PM, Hrafn said:

@arieben why does the axle need to go through any parts at all in that space?

if you are concerned about it getting off center, how about using a 3L axle joiner to connect two shorter axles? The axle joiners provide a lot of stiffness.

I can't use an axle joiner because the axles are "floating" and their range of motion is their entire length. Pic:

51702959351_e50942d032.jpg%22

51702162767_312408527d.jpg

At the end of their range, the axles are only inserted about a stud into the pieces that hold them. That's why I need a 3L space without grooves.

Edit again: I realize now the design flaw that causes the thing to require a 3 stud hole. It may be possible to fix the root issue which would be much better. :facepalm:

Edited by arieben

The light bluish grey Defender rim is now available!

Also didn't know they still make "SLANTING STANDARD 2X4/2X2 Element 6263550" :O

1 hour ago, Polarlicht said:

Also didn't know they still make "SLANTING STANDARD 2X4/2X2 Element 6263550" :O

Indeed! I was surprised to find 2 of them when building the big Batmobile. First time I got new ones since the Battrax in 1987...

85x85p.jpg

5 hours ago, astyanax said:

First time I got new ones since the Battrax in 1987...

Wow blacktron first generation series. I remember that cool series; I even have 2 sets today; 6876 and 6894

24 minutes ago, 1gor said:

Wow blacktron first generation series. I remember that cool series; I even have 2 sets today; 6876 and 6894

I had it and I still have the wings and the wheels here.

19 hours ago, Void_S said:

It is a beam-liftarm with alternating pinholes - odds are horizontal, evens are vertical, like on frame sides.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=73507

Thank you, I promptly went and bought the Heavy-duty Tow Truck 42128 and I there is something I have to ask.

Is it me, or is the plastic different? The pins don't seem to "snap" and they look physically different as well when I compare them. I'd rather not mix them in with my existing pins if they are indeed different. The liftarms seem to be extremely shiny as well which is strange.

Is this a result of LEGO switching to plant based materials?