7 hours ago, anyUser said:

This:

4144290.jpg

?

I sometimes wish I had the "inverse" of this part:

image.png.cbae7ab34bed303b497205623b0c644e.png, e.g. two pinhole and one axle hole in the middle.

That's not very useful, it's 3L long and has that extension of the axlehole which is 0,5L long, so you can't for example use it to attach things into a beam, unless you happen to want a 0,5L offset.

The inversion of the cross-hole connector would sometimes indeed be useful, though I suspect it's not something we're going to get as it's not that commonly needed.

---

The latter part reminded me of another wish: I'd like to have a part which is symmetric (mirrored) with an axlehole in its center as there's none currently (I think), except 32124 and 2711, which could be used sometimes but the connection to other Technic parts with those is pretty awkward and not that strong.

38 minutes ago, howitzer said:

with an axlehole in its center

There is this strange part

250x250p.jpg?1610900072.4752574

In fact, used also in two recent technic sets

1 hour ago, howitzer said:

I'd like to have a part which is symmetric (mirrored) with an axlehole in its center as there's none currently (I think), except 32124 and 2711, which could be used sometimes but the connection to other Technic parts with those is pretty awkward and not that strong.

Not perfect, but you may also consider:

85x85p.jpg?1610892173.7799993

85x85p.jpg?1610892148.4726875

85x85p.jpg?1610892115.7775764

85x85p.jpg?1610892136.3850162

9 hours ago, anyUser said:

This:

4144290.jpg

? 

More like 85x85p.jpg but with 1 axle.

But I have good hopes it'll arrive, because even TLG needs the axle with axlehole... For example, in the virtual pivot steering system of the big Batmobile (set 76139), they used this 120-degree 3-axle connector when they really only needed 1 axle...

063.jpg

1 hour ago, astyanax said:

For example, in the virtual pivot steering system of the big Batmobile (set 76139), they used this 120-degree 3-axle connector when they really only needed 1 axle...

I realise the three-axle part isn't a general-purpose substitute for a single/double axle-with-axlehole, but as a general trend I rather like the way in Technic a single-use-case part such as this steering arm is gradually supplanted by a bulkier part with many possible uses

4261.png replaced by  48989.png

29 minutes ago, J159753 said:

I rather like the way in Technic a single-use-case part such as this steering arm is gradually supplanted by a bulkier part with many possible uses

Right, but the upshot of the 'axle with axlehole' would be that it's a gazillion-use-case part with minimal bulkiness. That's why I'm not satisfied just using 85x85p.jpg everywhere: most times the other 2 axles collide with other stuff.

34 minutes ago, J159753 said:

I realise the three-axle part isn't a general-purpose substitute for a single/double axle-with-axlehole, but as a general trend I rather like the way in Technic a single-use-case part such as this steering arm is gradually supplanted by a bulkier part with many possible uses

4261.png replaced by  48989.png

Technic always had specialty parts, heck the entire theme is "specialty LEGO parts". That first part is actually not single use, it's been used for quite a number of other things (motorcycles and in some on the Universal sets)

Back when I build studless Technic that other part was often used for steering and it always bugged me to see that unused pin at the bottom. I wondered if TLG one day would make a part with just the two pins above the pinhole and an axle hole at the other end. There was a part much like that but could only be fitted into another special part

Does anyone know if you can interface a gear rack (87761) with a clutch gear (18946 or 35185)? I’m working on a mech where I’d love an  axle for a secondary function to run through where the steering is

46 minutes ago, Seasider said:

Does anyone know if you can interface a gear rack (87761) with a clutch gear (18946 or 35185)? I’m working on a mech where I’d love an  axle for a secondary function to run through where the steering is

Within Technic (0.5 stud increments) only with the latter (blue gear). The other one needs an approximately 0.25 or so offset, which might be possible using some sort of System connections, but I've no idea about it

sample.pngsample2.png

Edited by syclone

6 hours ago, astyanax said:

Not perfect, but you may also consider:

85x85p.jpg?1610892173.7799993

85x85p.jpg?1610892148.4726875

85x85p.jpg?1610892115.7775764

85x85p.jpg?1610892136.3850162

<snip>

Yeah, sometimes those might suffice. I was mostly thinking along the lines of making easily strong connections for a propeller, for example with these: 89509 a simple 5L liftarm with axlehole in the center would be great.

Half bushes in red spotted in set 76250!!!

Edited by SNIPE

1 hour ago, SNIPE said:

Half bushes in red spotted in set 76250!!!

You sure that's the right set number? I can't find anything when looking for 76250.

1 minute ago, LvdH said:

You sure that's the right set number? I can't find anything when looking for 76250.

yes, the set is called lego infinity saga whiplash race face off.

Edited by SNIPE

3 minutes ago, SNIPE said:

yes, the set is called lego infinity saga whiplash race face off.

Still can't find anything. Do you have a link or picture?

Just now, LvdH said:

i;m not sure if I should link it as the set is not released yet. its a blue and white F1 car basically.

9 minutes ago, LvdH said:

I’ve seen it by searching “LEGO whiplash race face off” and indeed it looks like there is a red half bushing behind each front wheel.

On 7/8/2021 at 5:43 AM, Seasider said:

I believe this question had been well answered for that particular gear rack, but I believe that there are some fairly simple ways to mesh a 1x4 gear rack with a 16t clutch gear.

16 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

I’ve seen it by searching “LEGO whiplash race face off” and indeed it looks like there is a red half bushing behind each front wheel.

I searched it and I'm sorry to say the set you're looking at is a fake/fan concept, not a real set.

17 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

I searched it and I'm sorry to say the set you're looking at is a fake/fan concept, not a real set.

I will now swear without swearing:

%@$&*!%@$&*!%@$&*!%@$&*!%@$&*!%@$&*!%@$&*!%@$&*!%@$&*!%@$&*!%@$&*!%@$&*!%@$&*!

15 hours ago, SNIPE said:

I will now swear without swearing:

%@$&*!%@$&*!%@$&*!%@$&*!%@$&*!%@$&*!%@$&*!%@$&*!%@$&*!%@$&*!%@$&*!%@$&*!%@$&*!

400x300.jpg

What's this? My hand full of red and black half-bushes? 

If you really want them, they're not hard to find... :pir-grin:

Edited by astyanax
fixed photo link

This works for both blue gear and red gear.

The gear racks have to be mounted on an 8 x 1 plate.

Blue Gear - axle ball as the spacer.

Red gear - 1/2 pin as the spacer.

51305479329_cb81b76dbe_z.jpgIMG_8238

This is shown on page  12 of this book, which has many solutions for problem builds there is 2nd book for cars and contraptions

51305000433_4af49abe30_n.jpg

Edited by Doug72

29 minutes ago, astyanax said:

What's this? My hand full of red and black half-bushes? 

If you really want them, they're not hard to find... :pir-grin:

yes but since my link was only a fan made set, they are still discontinued in every color other than yellow and LBG. I could of course buy some from bricklink

Anyone know why the newer versions of the brick with ball joints are so much looser?

I bought Lloyd's Hydro Mech and had to swap 

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=17114&amp;idColor=85#T=C&amp;C=85

With https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=57908#T=C As the hips felt way to loose for me.

I get adding in the axle hole. But the ball joints look to be the same mold type as the ones on ccbs pieces. And those aren't this loose.

Edited by Takanuinuva