I justi noticed at around 1:32 it seems like a new type of CV joint is used to power the axle hub, the slits give it away.

I have a feeling a new ungeared hub with the support for the new stronger CV joint will be coming in the next 1:8 supercar.

Edited by Zerobricks

Curious! I'm a bit dubious that they could fit the new CV in a hub of that size, though, because on the planetary hub, the DBG part of the hub is clearly thicker than one stud.

Just now, 2GodBDGlory said:

Curious! I'm a bit dubious that they could fit the new CV in a hub of that size, though, because on the planetary hub, the DBG part of the hub is clearly thicker than one stud.

They can as long as the ballpins are already integrated in the hub - just like the geared hub.

14 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

They can as long as the ballpins are already integrated in the hub - just like the geared hub.

True, though it would sacrifice some versatility. I wonder if they could take advantage of the extra-short axles of the ball joints with 1L axle and make the hub attach with axles instead, though I doubt they will.

1 minute ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

True, though it would sacrifice some versatility. I wonder if they could take advantage of the extra-short axles of the ball joints with 1L axle and make the hub attach with axles instead, though I doubt they will.

The 1L axle with ball joint doesn't fit in the system, it's slightly sticking out too much. Personally I'd prefer fixed, integrated ball joints, since the normal pins with ball joints always tend to slide out and have to be reinforced with 5L half beams.

Can anyone identify this part & its Lego number ?
I think it is possible a bionical piece.

Can hold 3 x 12T double bevel gears and very useful for a GBC module I am building.

50931530683_ac50b110eb.jpg

50931566498_55fdfbefc9.jpg

Edited by Doug72

13 minutes ago, LvdH said:

Thank you for quick reply, yes thats the part I have.

Provides a strong way to send a drive two ways using 12T DBG's gears.

I will order 2 on my next lego shopping list, their only 2 pence each !

Edited by Doug72

Has anyone been able to use the gears on the bodies of Bionicle, Slizers, Throwbots,... in a serious MOC? Like the bottom of the Toa Mata (like Doug72 shared two comments back).

1 hour ago, Lira_Bricks said:

Has anyone been able to use the gears on the bodies of Bionicle, Slizers, Throwbots,... in a serious MOC? Like the bottom of the Toa Mata (like Doug72 shared two comments back).

I think I saw this in one GBC module, used in such a way that it was actually useful: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=32311

Can't remember where though.

According to New Elementary, the black 2L pin has been redesigned:

17.jpg

On the left the first (flawed) design, in the middle the design we all have known and loved for over thirty years, on the right the new design, which apparently is being phased in during this year.

I wonder what prompted this change?

Like I noticed and wrote before TLG has been redesigning a lot of parts which have pins, removing the ability to pass bars, etc. I think the reason behind this change is not functional but to differentiate them from the other brands of compatible products.

Edited by Zerobricks

Interesting. Will the bar still fit inside, or are they following the trend of making the holes more square shaped? 

Edited by LvdH

Oh, Lordy, that first design... When I dug out my childhood technic sets I looked at those black pins, and, sad to say, very many had teeth marks on them. Normally I try and treat my vintage technic with some reverence, however flawed it may have been. Single-port lego pneumatics? Smiled at fondly. Etc. But those first-gen black pins? I binned them all. Life's too short...

4 hours ago, LvdH said:

Interesting. Will the bar still fit inside, or are they following the trend of making the holes more square shaped? 

Looks like one could to me. Since this is such a widely used piece, this is big news!

10 hours ago, LvdH said:

Will the bar still fit inside, o

It it looks round in that picture.

Could be a change to a different type of plastic? Possibly easier to recycle or plant based plastics may require a redesign for the same properties?

10 hours ago, J159753 said:

But those first-gen black pins? I binned them all.

I still use them from time to time when I need a very stiff single point connection. Just need to remember not to mix with others after dismantling ;)

15 hours ago, Philo said:

I still use them from time to time when I need a very stiff single point connection. Just need to remember not to mix with others after dismantling ;)

Yeah, I'd like to pick some up just for that

On 2/15/2021 at 2:27 PM, howitzer said:

According to New Elementary, the black 2L pin has been redesigned:

17.jpg

On the left the first (flawed) design, in the middle the design we all have known and loved for over thirty years, on the right the new design, which apparently is being phased in during this year.

I wonder what prompted this change?

But the middle one had a thick wall, then they made it thinner. Those thin ones keep breaking on me.

Sometimes it could be as simple as: Old mold is worn out, and they made a newer mold with a simpler geometry i.e, cheaper to manufacture.

When did they stop using the first version of the black 2L pin?
8235 Front End Loader is the first Technic set I can remember having, maybe 8824 Hovercraft, I certainly had a set similar to that with those modified bricks with the rubber things, so either '94 or '95, but anyway, I never recall having had those original black pins said to be so hard to remove.

Anyway, the perfect black pin IMO seems to be the original kind made to be not quite so difficult to remove, cos I often feel like the second type we've had for many years now doesn't sit quite as well as I personally would like.

8 hours ago, N-4K0 said:

When did they stop using the first version of the black 2L pin?
8235 Front End Loader is the first Technic set I can remember having, maybe 8824 Hovercraft, I certainly had a set similar to that with those modified bricks with the rubber things, so either '94 or '95, but anyway, I never recall having had those original black pins said to be so hard to remove.

Anyway, the perfect black pin IMO seems to be the original kind made to be not quite so difficult to remove, cos I often feel like the second type we've had for many years now doesn't sit quite as well as I personally would like.

1989 was the last year when those first version friction pins were in use, from 1990 onwards they were the upgraded type.