Here's an idea I have for a possible use for the new orange shifter pieces to move 4 clutch rings.

The orange piece will be driven by a geared down motor, to make an automatic transmission.

I have only added the ider gears for claity, you can add what ever rations you want using more gears.

*note that the orange worm gear is representing the new part since it is not in LDD.

g9HKoIl.png

wgVqYMQ.png

Regards, Snipe

Edited by SNIPE

Oh. I completely lost track of the Chiron topic - too much activity to keep up with. Can you summarize? :blush:

@Ludo Visser, Zux has already given the best possible short summary in the post directly above yours. There will be a new changeover catch; an orange worm-like piece with a swirly circular ridge that, when rotated, can move the driving ring on a parallel axle next to it (as opposed to the current red changeover catch, that works on driving rings on a perpendular axis).

Also, we expect a 20t clutch gear in blue, similar to the red 16t.

For more details, either take a few minutes to read the Chiron topic (pages ~52 - 54), or wait for June 1 and be surprised :)

16 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

@Ludo Visser, Zux has already given the best possible short summary in the post directly above yours. There will be a new changeover catch; an orange worm-like piece with a swirly circular ridge that, when rotated, can move the driving ring on a parallel axle next to it (as opposed to the current red changeover catch, that works on driving rings on a perpendular axis).

For more details, either take a few minutes to read the Chiron topic (pages ~52 - 54), or wait for June 1 and be surprised :)

completely true except one small thing, blue 20T clutch gear is double bevel type, so it can be used to transmit rotation in 90 degrees like ordinary double bevel gear :wink:

3 hours ago, SNIPE said:

Here's an idea I have for a possible use for the new orange shifter pieces to move 4 clutch rings.

I don't think it will work that way. In the last puicture, If you numbered the axles 1 to 4 from left to right, clutch 1 is down, 2 is in the middle, 3 is on top, and 4 is in the middle.

You allways have two clutches engaged at the same time and two disengaged. Or all four partly disengaged.

38 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

Oh, that makes total sense in combination with @SNIPEs pictures. I lost track of the topic around page 40, so it’s good  to know where to catch up, if I manage before Friday :wink:

4 hours ago, SNIPE said:

*note that the orange worm gear is representing the new part since it is not in LDD.

It is in LDD.

1 hour ago, pagicence said:

It is in LDD.

He was talking about a worm gear-like changeover thing (that not yet released), not about not so recently issued 1L worm gear.

6 hours ago, KjetilS said:

I don't think it will work that way. In the last puicture, If you numbered the axles 1 to 4 from left to right, clutch 1 is down, 2 is in the middle, 3 is on top, and 4 is in the middle.

You allways have two clutches engaged at the same time and two disengaged. Or all four partly disengaged.

The placement was just guessed here. I'll have to wait for the real part.

Maybe it's weird but I'd love to see this part being real (look at my poor photoshop skills):

new-piece-1.png

It would allow to couple gear shifting rings using less space then it's required now. Combine it with new orange parts from 42083 and it would be awesome!

I think whenever TLG introduces a new useful element, they will usually introduce a set that uses a substantial number of that part. I call them "part-introduction set". Examples:

- New frame -> 8258
- New curve panels -> 42039 uses 8 of them
- New tapered panels -> 42040 uses 5 of them
- New driving ring and 3L connector -> 42042 uses 4 of them
- New gear rack -> 42043 uses 3 of them
- New gear quadrant and bucket -> 42055 uses 14 quadrants and 8 buckets.

Thats an interesting observation, @Ngoc Nguyen. It's as if they waited for a set to "demonstrate" the versatility of a part. The BWE 42055 used the yellow 11x11 gear quadrants essentially in three different ways. Turntable; bucket wheel; guide rail. 42043 which introduced the new sliding gearracks, used them in two different ways too.

Also, wasn't it the same with the 13L gear racks and 42009, which had a lot of those (steering and outriggers)?

The other thing is that I have the idea that sometimes the set a new piece seems to be specifically designed for, isn't always the first set we see. There have been dark-tan Technic panels in some Star Wars sets. Now the 42083 shows them in the interior. I suspect that dark-tan Technic panels have been produced for 42083, and then Lego designers searched for other possible use-cases for these parts and found out Star Wars buildable figures could use them. I think the same happens for the black 5x7-frame, that will reoccur 18x in the Chiron. We saw it first in a smaller set, where there didn't seem to be a particular reason to introduce a recolor.

44 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

42009, which had a lot of those (steering and outriggers)?

I think 8258 is the part introduction set for the 13L gear rack. The rack first appeared in that year and 8258 used 7 of them.

Now for something completely different...

If anyone cares, the silicone Lego rubber bands seem to last forever. I used several in both white, blue, yellow and red on my 8880 MOD and when I dug it out after 18 years, they were as good as new, still strong, still pliable, still worked as the day I installed them. Got to love those.

2 hours ago, Bublehead said:

Now for something completely different...

If anyone cares, the silicone Lego rubber bands seem to last forever. I used several in both white, blue, yellow and red on my 8880 MOD and when I dug it out after 18 years, they were as good as new, still strong, still pliable, still worked as the day I installed them. Got to love those.

I guess those are better than the ones on 10019 which always break.

Yeah, my 10019 rubber bands where nothing more than thin slices of bicycle innertube and vaporized only a couple of years after being on the shelf. Currently there are none on it and friction is the only thing keeping the plates formed.  The silicone bands, however, should last 50+ years or more, or so my Ophthalmologist told me when he put one around my left eye during retinal detachment surgery. I asked when would it need to be removed or replaced and he said, never, you will have it around your eye for life. So fingers crossed. 

Just now, Bublehead said:

Yeah, my 10019 rubber bands where nothing more than thin slices of bicycle innertube and vaporized only a couple of years after being on the shelf. Currently there are none on it and friction is the only thing keeping the plates formed.  The silicone bands, however, should last 50+ years or more, or so my Ophthalmologist told me when he put one around my left eye during retinal detachment surgery. I asked when would it need to be removed or replaced and he said, never, you will have it around your eye for life. So fingers crossed. 

Yeah some polymers tend to last while others just disintegrate in months. I remember when I got one particular model kit with rubber washers I was scared that they will brake down and fall apart "soon". It's been almost 15 years and they are like new, not even deformed.

These things are happening again in good ol' black!

And you can thank some sort of CITY set for them. Thank it right now with the equivalent of 25 quid for 4 of them, or maybe later for a better part-to-moneys ratio if you are patient. If you're anything like me, I can wait until I accidentally forget about them.

I have been buying in some rare White and Black friction and non friction pins

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=43093&colorID=1&in=A

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=3749&colorID=1&in=A

I have had a plan to build a black and white version of 42056 for over a year, but was lacking the parts. 

With the new 5x7 in black and black bushes coming out again, I think it's more doable now to fulfil my custom colour build. 

I plan to get rid of the colour vomit in the Porsche, replace all LBG parts with black, where possible. 

I have sourced gears in black, use 3L axles un black etc. According to Bricklink most parts exist in black and white. 

But the parts I liked to above are hard to find, in the quantities needed...... I may have to improvise. 

2 hours ago, Richard Dower said:

I have been buying in some rare White and Black friction and non friction pins

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=43093&colorID=1&in=A

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=3749&colorID=1&in=A

I have had a plan to build a black and white version of 42056 for over a year, but was lacking the parts. 

With the new 5x7 in black and black bushes coming out again, I think it's more doable now to fulfil my custom colour build. 

I plan to get rid of the colour vomit in the Porsche, replace all LBG parts with black, where possible. 

I have sourced gears in black, use 3L axles un black etc. According to Bricklink most parts exist in black and white. 

But the parts I liked to above are hard to find, in the quantities needed...... I may have to improvise. 

Or you can on black version make light bluish gray bottom with light bluish gray beams and panels, so you do not need so much black 5 x 7 frames :wink:

Has anyone tried to use a spring from a ball point pen and put it over Lego axle (if it will fit) to make DIY shock absorber?

14 minutes ago, pagicence said:

Has anyone tried to use a spring f

I have seen something like that, but I don't know, what are the origins of those springs.

I have used half of the shock absorber (pretty legal build  :) )

800x615.jpg