Re LEGO Large Tread Link (57518 / 88323 / 89501)

As part of the BCE build of my I need a short section of bucket chain to bend for approx 60 degs the other way to normal.

My first attempt used the grey large track links from the BWE set and it proved impossible to bend it as much as I required.Then tried the black large tread links and found they can bend backwards to a smaller diameter.

Not sure if this is due to wear or not, anyone else noticed this.
I have seen several GBC that use these links in this manner.

Both tread link types shown in photo are bent backwards as far as possible without straining them.

34615824625_af468d8501.jpg

Edited by Doug72

The newer links have small tabs that prevent backwards bending. If you want small diameter you have to choose older parts. Unfortunately the transition time between versions is not clear...

57518.png

15 minutes ago, Philo said:

The newer links have small tabs that prevent backwards bending. If you want small diameter you have to choose older parts. Unfortunately the transition time between versions is not clear...

Thanks for that explanation - I shall have to hunt through my Lego to see if have enough parts or come up with another solution to the problem.

I looked up the inventory for 75532, which @Jeroen Ottens  posted a picture of, and I found some interesting recolors.

75532 Inventory 175532 Inventory 275532 Inventory 3

Of note is the fact that Lego included both yellow and gray 3L axles, for no reason. Also, the pinhole with axle is included in two colors as well, again for no reason. Since I'm on my phone, photos will have to do, as finding and linking all new parts would be a pain.

13 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

Since I'm on my phone, photos will have to do, as finding and linking all new parts would be a pain.

Here they are :

Bag 1 :

35174905286_0f35068904.jpg

Bag 2 :

35175168316_8462b29614.jpg

Bag 3 :

35175272716_ce98d086e3.jpg

And the pinhole with axle actually comes in three colours in this set : light bley, dark bley and dark brown, but it's not for no reason.

On 8.05.2017 at 0:15 PM, Erik Leppen said:

The brown panels look very interesting to me. Brown is a very unusual color, I would like to have it, even though I have no idea what for yet.

1 hour ago, Leewan said:

Here they are :

(...)

And the pinhole with axle actually comes in three colours in this set : light bley, dark bley and dark brown, but it's not for no reason.

So many brown bits! For me, they scream RAT ROD, but then again, even a cold three day sandwich in my fridge screams HOT ROD to my obsessed mind :laugh:

I just bought some 2017 and 2016 sets and I am wondering with parts are new?

I know of a few like a pinhole with axle and pinhole with 2 axles. But I would like to know if there is a list for these parts.

On 6/10/2017 at 9:09 AM, Leewan said:

U wot M8? I can see the differing grays, but not the dark brown. It's a completely different color than the other brown parts, and also is not visible in the finished model. Also, they're not new in dark brown in this set, they first appeared in dark brown in 42066, and that inclusion was truly inexplicable.

I also recently bought some ribbed hoses in 14L length in Black, there was a Star Wars set from 2016 that had them.....some old Technic sets such as 8285 used them, so if you want brand new parts or replacements they are available now: https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=78c14&colorID=11&in=A

1 hour ago, Saberwing40k said:

U wot M8? I can see the differing grays, but not the dark brown. It's a completely different color than the other brown parts, and also is not visible in the finished model. Also, they're not new in dark brown in this set, they first appeared in dark brown in 42066, and that inclusion was truly inexplicable.

Exactly....they should have used Red or LBG.....WTH would they used Brown for a Technic part?

18 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

Top of the second picture you posted, above the trans-red parts. :wink: There are only two of them, they're used to attach some panels, so they're indeed nearly invisible.

And, FYI, they actually first appeared in 2016. (:

20 minutes ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

Anyone else spots a new showel design?

That's the same piece found in 42061, just DBG.

Edited by zux

Just now, zux said:

Oh, forgot about that set, my bad.:wacko:

5 hours ago, Leewan said:

Top of the second picture you posted, above the trans-red parts. :wink: There are only two of them, they're used to attach some panels, so they're indeed nearly invisible.

And, FYI, they actually first appeared in 2016. (:

Oh, okay. Nevertheless. What I meant was I can see a reason for the other colors , but not the dark brown. I know where they are in the inventory.

Oh, I understand. :blush: Yeah, a pair of dark bley pinholes with axle could have been used instead, especially since they're right next to dark bley 42003's. If the 3L perpendicular connectors were reddish brown rather than dark bley, a brown pinhole with axle would have made sense, but in the present case, it seems a bit random, just like the differently coloured 3 and 4 axles (although it might be because they're in different bags, so it would rather be due to the production process).

1 hour ago, zux said:

Yes, i belive i commented on, and pointed out said part several pages back. But i said it was LGB.

It is still a new mold design internally.

20 minutes ago, Leewan said:

Oh, I understand. :blush: Yeah, a pair of dark bley pinholes with axle could have been used instead, especially since they're right next to dark bley 42003's. If the 3L perpendicular connectors were reddish brown rather than dark bley, a brown pinhole with axle would have made sense, but in the present case, it seems a bit random, just like the differently coloured 3 and 4 axles (although it might be because they're in different bags, so it would rather be due to the production process).

Um...note to TLG....can we PLEASE just get this part in Black ffs!...thanks.

11214.jpg?2

hell, it's way better than the blue of the basic 3L pin. I'd be clamouring for that first!

9 hours ago, Richard Dower said:

Um...note to TLG....can we PLEASE just get this part in Black ffs!...thanks.

11214.jpg?2

I'm afraid that won't happen, as the very similar 18651 (Axle Pin 3L with Friction Ridges Lengthwise and 2L Axle) exists solely in black. TLG's colour-coding policy means that we will never get two so similar parts in the same colour; at least they're both dark tones, not bright yellow or something.

18651.png

Full inventory of 75532 Scout trooper is available at BL: https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=75532-1

There are some interesting re-colors like drive ring extension in black:

32187.png

And axle with pin hole in DBG:

22961.png

For me the best news is re-appearance of #2 connector in DBG, 2 pieces are in this set, this color appears after 11 years!

It seems you were not the only one as BL is swarmed with this color already, which would be strange given this color appeared recently and it is available in no more than 4 sets :classic:

2 hours ago, Jim said:

I bought a handful of these when I was in Legoland Germany :thumbup:

Ha, no quoting pictures! :laugh: 

Those look good in black.