Sign in to follow this  
falconluan

Why does lego still use the ancient AA battery box?

I mean, come on, it will be 2015 in a few months, lithium batteries are everywhere.

But lego stopped using it a few years ago except for the mindstorm sets.

Is there any story behind this or it is just because they have too many AA battery boxes to sell?

There's the lithium battery, though it goes for $50 and it only delivers 7V of power, compared to 9V battery box. If they created a new battery box, it would require tooling new molds and they would have to create new electronic components. There is a demand for new PF parts, though lego is slow to produce them. Like the XL and M motors coming out then a few years later lego decides to add on the L motor and Servo motor to the PF series. It's also odd how they haven't produced a S motor or XXL motor to go along with the current line of motors.

here's the rechargeable battery box https://shop.educati...pleSearch=false

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

The AA batterybox is cheap, and simple. That is the only reason why they still use it. That, and the AA battery standard is literally the most common worldwide.

AA have better capacity comparing with AAA. Batteries are safe and cheap.

LiPo is dangerous as toy for children.

The safety consideration makes sense, after all, the main target user are children.

And there are all kinds of "AA battery" if we would like to use....

Thanks all the answers above.

Lucky people over in america! Here is the story:

I go to the lego shop, 8878 $50, i realise it is the american site, change it to australian, it goes up by $50, now $100, but wait there's more, charger extra $50. Anyway so I am at the checkout now, free shipping for orders over $170, buy a pumpkin get free shipping. And to end the story it ships from america

Edited by Nalyd997

Lucky indeed... and feeling very sorry for Nalyd: that's stupid from TLG. I was wondering too for that 8878 costing only 50 Dollars overthere, because here in Germany, the thing costs 70 Euro. For those unfamiliar with the difference in currency: that's almost twice as much too. As the strong safety regulatories are the same for these kind of components, no one can tell me that there's is a huge difference in costs for TLG.

I have one and am very satisfied with it (the speed control and weight are useful for a technic builder), but won't buy the planned second one. For this much money, I will look to buy one out of the RC-world: more Voltage and mAh, even more compact, cheaper.

It's the same in Poland, so I asked a friend to buy two for me in US. Then I bought a universal charger for half the price and it works :)

Lucky indeed... and feeling very sorry for Nalyd: that's stupid from TLG. I was wondering too for that 8878 costing only 50 Dollars overthere, because here in Germany, the thing costs 70 Euro. For those unfamiliar with the difference in currency: that's almost twice as much too. As the strong safety regulatories are the same for these kind of components, no one can tell me that there's is a huge difference in costs for TLG.

I have one and am very satisfied with it (the speed control and weight are useful for a technic builder), but won't buy the planned second one. For this much money, I will look to buy one out of the RC-world: more Voltage and mAh, even more compact, cheaper.

It is not as simple as straight currency conversion. You have to take into account the country's government and what kind of import tariffs, taxes,duties, cost of doing business, volume of business, transportation costs, etc. In some countries those taxes are added to the price so the price advertised is inclusive. Unlike the USA where advertised price is without the local and state taxes included. Each country where LEGO does business may have different revenue and profit targets. They probably have a pricing model spreadsheet for each country or region to input various variables and get a price to charge out.

TLG could use LiFePo4 Accumulators...

+ they don't explode

+ high discharge current

+ 3 of them in series have fully charged 10.6V, those 1.6V more are okay in my opinion (way better than those missing volts on the currently offered pack)

- none?

Cookie

Edited by _Cookie_

Several reasons can be said about this. Tho specifically I believe having a variety of possible power method is the best way to go. Maybe when major manufacturing industry decides to phase out AA batteries that is when LEGO decides to stop making AA compatible battery boxes and when powering our models by the emitted radiation out of a cell phone antenna that will be the day.

I do understand how this works, given that america's population is a lot larger than australia they have a much larger consumer market which makes things a lot cheaper. But still since i had to order it from america. Anyway to answer the original question asked my understanding of how lego operates is to try to keep the cost down eg why are no technic creations accepted on ideas? It wouldn't be visable to include the battery box and charger, as they could potentially lose sales on those items if they are in a set. Hopefully though with new technologies we will see a new battery box in the future!

Edited by Nalyd997