RedBaron4850

Taller or Wider?

Just a random question about people's opinions on the modulars. When you MOD, combine multiple sets, do you like to make the sets taller or wider than the original?

For me I prefer to widen the bases before I even think about adding more floors, but this could just be due to where I live. There aren't too many tall skinny buildings in my area.

It depends on the building. For Town Hall, I did both. I wanted to make it a stand-alone, wider building (as I felt a TH should merit this!).

The building itself I widened by 6 studs each side, and 8 deeper in the depth. I then added an extra floor, and increased the height of the bell tower, so it is quite hefty now!

It sits on 2 baseplates wide (with garden/open area on each side), and is 1.5 (or 2) baseplates deep, depending on which layout I'm on.

Either way (or both!!) will be great ...

Edited by andyscouse

I prefer to go wider as a general rule. I like to play around with widths that aren't either 16 or 32 studs - I've done a 40 wide and 64 wide, and I think they really help break up the uniformity of it all than varying the heights (which I also try to do to an extend, having done one and two-story buildings as well).

As for table space, I have a 4' x 8' table to grow and build my little city on in a spare bedroom.

I don't have many doubles of my moudlars....yet. But soon I shall have 2x Town Hall and 2x Pet Shop to play around with. For now, I will leave my 48x48 base Grand Emporium. to reference.

GE1.jpg

Compared to one that is 2 GE, but taller

4430041949_4bbda6e5b6.jpg

I could see how some buildings look better taller and some would look better wider. I am planning on expanding the length of my Fire Brigade about 6-8 studs back so I can finally fit my big hands in there.

I definitely prefer wider... but,besides that, when you have two sets of each, there is mostly an opportunity to make the new building somewhat taller by adding a brick layer here and there, without doing wrong to the original design! I bought almost all doubles to make them wider!! Only extra bricks for a taller blue pet shop...

Do you have any pictures?

14052954886_b29bbaa3f5_b.jpg14369738646_ab55fd07f7.jpg14280850418_64b08c6b8c.jpg12037563335_ec0184b4a1.jpg

Here is a general view of one of our NELUG shows. This shows my Expanded TH, with its 3-storey high picture window on the side, the extra floor and taller bell-tower (and wider & deeper). The Expanded GE is another NELUG member's (48x48, 4xset).

6_town.jpg

@LegoSjaak - I love, love, love your expanded buildings! I especially like the PS and FS ...

Edited by andyscouse

Simply it depends on your layout you want, modern big city style then tall, but slightly more classic old world feel city wide might be a way to go.

Grand Emporium is a great example of one that objectively looks better taller than wider. Thanks for sharing!

And I totally agree it's subject to your layout, individual building in question, and overall look you're going for.

Both. This museum for instance is a widened GE:

9150196471_dcdeeea55d_n.jpg

Anyhow I agree with sonicstarlight regarding the uniformity aspect. That's why I opt for unusual, even odd widths (same for the cars) - just depending on the purpose of a build, not dictated by any pattern. This modular San Francisco townhouse ("Painted Lady") is 21 studs wide:

9276234484_c5589cd2f4_n.jpg

@ER0L I love both of those buildings!

Interesting take on the GE, stretching it in that way ... and the SF house is definitely true-to-life.

I think Modulars struggle with taller AND wider in reality. That is just my opinion though. But the proportions get thrown off a lot when meddling with adding an extra layer here or extra width there.

With that said, I think I'd probably build out before I'd build up, depending on the structure and how I can keep the proportions looking appropriate.

I have ideas for an expanded town hall that is completely different than everyone else's version that I think would keep the proportions okay and make it different enough to fit in the layout.

Although when looking at real life counterparts to the GE, it does look better taller (only because the original style building was tall and hefty like that).

It's not solely about taller or wider. It's about proportions. I have a GE that's on 6 32 x 32 base plates and is five stories tall. It works. My town hall is the same height as designed by lego, but with three extra windows on each side, each level. I think the TH and GE are too square in their original form and beg for expansion. Not so much for GG, PS or PR.

Off the wall, you have to show us your XXL GE, I've been reading about it for months, just need to see it. C'mon, man! To post some pictures is a very easy task, much easier than build a 6 32x32 plates Mammoth GE! :)

Off the wall, you have to show us your XXL GE, I've been reading about it for months, just need to see it. C'mon, man! To post some pictures is a very easy task, much easier than build a 6 32x32 plates Mammoth GE! :)

Procrastination.......still intending on finding a picture hosting site. I'm also wrapping up construction of a Mini Cooper dealership. Had to build one after accumulating four poly bag mini coopers. It's two stories, 64 studs wide with a showroom and a service department.

As most of my stuff, it seriously lacking as far as interior goes.