Sign in to follow this  
Bregir

Diaries of Beorthan 1: Assuming power

Below you will find a series of small builds - the purpose is to tell part of the back story for Beorthan going to meet Lord Vladivus in Shadowmere to forge a trading alliance.

Sir Beorthan, having recently been recalled to the Trifork from his adventuring across Historica to take over the office of Lord Mayor of the county, has been welcomed by his old friend, Sir William Drake.

15155996599_7bd23e85eb_z.jpg

Drake: Congratulations on the new office. ‘Tis good to have you back in the Trifork, my friend. One wonders where you will start...

Beorthan: Thank you, my friend. I am quite surprised to be bestowed such an honour. However, I am not quite certain in what state the old Lord Mayor left the Trifork in. Therefore, I have tasked the twins to inspect the militia, and asked the treasurer to give report on the financial situation of the county.

If you please, I should like you to accompany me to the map room to hear the reports.

Drake: I should be honoured, my Lord Mayor.

Beorthan: Ah, quit it, William. Beorthan will suffice…

Drake chuckles and pats Beorthan on the shoulder, following him to the map room.

15155481289_2072841d36_z.jpg

In the meantime, Beorthans seasoned bodyguards, the twins Marcus and Cassius, are inspecting the shabbily clad and ill-equipped militia of the Trifork, putting them through some basic training exercises.

The militia, keen to impress, but somewhat unwilling to accept their new commanders, do their best to show off their skills. For the battle-hardened twins, however, the conclusion is clear, but disheartening.

15342252295_fd6b58184f_c.jpg

Back in the map room, the treasurer has arrived before the new lord with the latest tolls from the bustling market places of the city.

Treasurer: Greetings, my lord. I am happy to bid you welcome in your new office and offer my humble services to you.

Beorthan: I am happy to hear so, sir. If you please, I should like you to proceed with a short summary of the current financials.

Treasurer: Of course, my lord. Your honoured predecessor was highly diligent in collecting taxes and very… conservative in his expenses. In fact, the treasury is overflowing, and for the last few months I have been locking the tax revenues up in the armoury… I assume you wish to continue the practice?

Beorthan: Pause there for a moment, sir. Please first explain why my predecessor amassed such wealth. Upon my return, I saw starving kids in the streets… And from why I have seen of the militia…

Treasurer: Well... He did so to pay for mercenaries in times of war. How else would we defend ourselves?

Beorthan: Leave me to answer those questions. For now, ensure everyone is feed, and lower the market and bridge tolls by 25 % effective today. Dismissed.

The treasurer bows before his new lord and walks out.

15155488959_0aa55f2324_c.jpg

Moments later, Cassius reports in.

Cassius: Commander, Legionnaire Cassius ready to report.

Beorthan: Go ahead.

Cassius: The militia is in no way fit to fight, and would not hold their own against anything but a band of disorganised brigands. They have no knowledge about tactics, and their skills in arms non-existent. The hunters have shown good skills with their bows, but they are as undisciplined as the rest.

Beorthan: And their equipment?

Cassius: Scraps of old wars. Bent and rusty. In low supply.

Beorthan: Thank you, Cassius. You are dismissed.

Cassius salutes and leaves: Thank you, sir.

15342235595_ae6e5226e3_c.jpg

As the soldier leaves, a messenger from Shadowmere is announced.

Beorthan: Shadowmere? Do you know of Shadowmere, William?

Drake: A stronghold of a half-vampire by the name of Vladivus Stormbringer. He supported the old lords of Nocturnus in the civil war, and is still maintaining that support. Honourable and loyal, it seems.

Beorthan calls out: Let him in.

The messenger enters, bowing deeply: Greetings my lords. I bring word from Lord Vladivus Stormbringer, Captain of the Shadowmere Guard and the Moruth Rangers, Master of Shadowmere and Loyal to the true rulers of Nocturnus.

Beorthan: We are most honoured to have been blessed with your lord’s attention, and welcome you to our halls and all that is ours. May we inquire as to what brings you here.

Messenger: As you may know, Nocturnus is struggling with the upstart Ravage’s rebels and his scum. Thus, my most honourable lord seeks trading partners and allies outside the reach of the so-called Black Spire.

Beorthan: I have heard word of the recent developments in Nocturnus. And while we have had troubles ourselves, we have come through mostly unscarred, and should welcome cooperation between our lands, should the conditions be acceptable.

Messenger: My lord bids you most humbly to come to Shadowmere to discuss the particularities of the agreement. He ensures me that you will not regret taking his offer… But you must come soon…

Beorthan pauses for a moment, before speaking: Allow me to ponder upon this until tomorrow, where you will have my reply.

The messenger bows and leaves: As you wish, mylord.

C&C Welcome, both in terms of builds and story telling. It turned out wordier than I had planned, but I hope it makes sense.

/Bregir out.

Edited by Bregir

Awesome! Great builds. The map room is cool with its relief maps on the walls, but the first build is my favourite!

Good choice for the messenger! It's great to see GoH fostering cooperation!

Edited by Lord Vladivus

Great story, and not too wordy at all. I'm going to have to get me a map room like that one!

I love that map room! The rest of the builds are good too, but that room is an idea I may have to borrow some time!

Very nice series of builds, and an interesting story.

Thank you, TRV!

Lovely builds bregir. That map room is awesome, the wall maps are great. Good story as well.

I quite like the map room too - thanks.

Awesome! Great builds. The map room is cool with its relief maps on the walls, but the first build is my favourite!

Good choice for the messenger! It's great to see GoH fostering cooperation!

Thank you, my lord! I am happy you liked the messenger - since it is your messenger, after all! :wink:

I compltely agree - and luckily we see more and more cross building popping up these days, it seems.

Very nice story and good builds! The first one is the best, but the training yard could use some more detail.

Thanks, Carson.

I agree about the training yard - and while it is not an excuse, it was just a "filler"-build.

Great story, and not too wordy at all. I'm going to have to get me a map room like that one!

I will be looking forward to seeing your version! Thanks!

I love that map room! The rest of the builds are good too, but that room is an idea I may have to borrow some time!

Be my guest :grin:

And thanks!

Very cool way to do a series of small builds. I like the maps on the walls especially.

That first build especially is great! Love the climbing vines! :thumbup:

Very cool way to do a series of small builds. I like the maps on the walls especially.

Thank you, mccoyed. I found it a pretty good way to get the story going! Although it can explode a bit in terms of wordiness. :sweet:

That first build especially is great! Love the climbing vines! :thumbup:

Thanks, Kai - Come to think of it, maybe they should have had some contact to the ground... :blush:

Very well made series of builds, and very appropriate story :thumbup: The archery range section is a little studdy, but nice job overall :classic:

Great series of builds. My favorite has to be the map room. I love how detailed the maps are.

Great series of builds. My favorite has to be the map room. I love how detailed those maps are.

Edited by Sir Gareth

Nice story and collection of builds. I agree the training grounds seem a bit bare, but the build does its job, illustrating the story. Love that map room!

Nice builds, Bregir, I agree with Kai about the first one - great arch and vines, I hadn't noticed that they were not touching the ground until you mentioned it (you shouldn't have said anything, for all we knew they could have been touching on the other side :tongue: ).

Very well made series of builds, and very appropriate story :thumbup: The archery range section is a little studdy, but nice job overall :classic:

Great series of builds. My favorite has to be the map room. I love how detailed those maps are.

Nice story and collection of builds. I agree the training grounds seem a bit bare, but the build does its job, illustrating the story. Love that map room!

Thanks, Scaevola, Sir Gareth and SarahJoy. The training ground was a bit of an afterthought, and could definitely have used more work. I am really happy you like the map room, as I think it turned out really well. :classic:

Very nice job on the trellis scene! (Wow, you're so much better now than in Challenge II! :tongue: )

Thank you, Thomas - I do feel I have developed my skills quite a bit. My upcoming build (a gatehouse) is my best sofar, should you ask me - I hope you will still agree with your statement after seeing that! :tongue:

I hope challenge III will be another chance to develop my skills! :sweet:

Nice builds, Bregir, I agree with Kai about the first one - great arch and vines, I hadn't noticed that they were not touching the ground until you mentioned it (you shouldn't have said anything, for all we knew they could have been touching on the other side :tongue: ).

Dang it! Forget everything I said after "Goodmorning"... :grin:

Thanks!!

Both the first build and the map room are awesome! :classic:

Excellent builds! I admire them all! :)

Thanks, Jakorin and Gideon! :sweet:

Love them all! Nice to see the maps on the walls brickbuilt (mine was a photo...).

The background could use some edit to take the table of the photos! :wink:

Love them all! Nice to see the maps on the walls brickbuilt (mine was a photo...).

The background could use some edit to take the table of the photos! :wink:

Thanks, dG! :sweet: I just HAD to go through your flickr to find your maproom - there is a lot of gold in there! :thumbup:

Its a lovely map - and really well-incorporated in the build! :classic: (Plus, I think it would be hard to build in bricks... :wink: )

My next build is photographed with an off-white background, so that might help. In the future, I am considering investing in a rollerblind to use as background.

Yes that map is lovely! Still have it here in my lego room! See if I can use it more time!

The rollerblind seems like a great investment. Gideons backgrounds are so good looking!!

All of the builds are very good :thumbup: My favorite one is the first, the trellis lined walkway is really neat :wub:

Excellent storyline as well :classic: