Sign in to follow this  
Prince Manic

working on a Famous Locomotive - wheels help and good ref images

I'm gonna build the Famous Jupiter locomotive very soon and I'm gonna use lego's discounted flanged steam driver wheels unless Big Ben's XL is the same size fo the wheel so are his wheels the XL drivers are the same size as lego's or not? I don't wanna use a LDraw app like Bricksmith (mac version of a Ldraw app) and install those wheels and fix up the problems.

Also where is the best ref picts I i cloud use for the jupiter loco? I found some good ones but I'll need the based locomotive too on what it was built from.

BBB XL drivers are bigger than the LEGO ones. L size drivers are nearest to the official ones. I built Anthony Sava's Berskhire 2-8-4 with official wheels while his instructions recommends BBB L size drivers (blind and flanged). So far as that engine is concerned, it works fine with official LEGO wheels.

LDD has the official wheels by the way.

BBB XL drivers are bigger than the LEGO ones. L size drivers are nearest to the official ones. I built Anthony Sava's Berskhire 2-8-4 with official wheels while his instructions recommends BBB L size drivers (blind and flanged). So far as that engine is concerned, it works fine with official LEGO wheels.

LDD has the official wheels by the way.

Large one doesn't have the small counterweight on it I guess I'll use Brick owl to order four flanged drivers since it uses four flanged wheels. I've got no clue on what the jupitar was based upon I may redo my Rogers Loco from BTTF part 3 in the future.

Honestly, for the Jupiter, you need to use the XL drivers. The L drivers are too small for the early American types. And there are plenty of photos online of the Jupiter. Theres even a film on youtube about the restoration of the locomotive.

The way you say "what the loco was based on" doesnt really help. Many early American types were varied in design, so for the Jupiter, you need to look at the Jupiter alone. It will not be hard to find say the wheelbase, the length, the height, and all that, and from there and good photos, you should be able to build an accurate model.

Edited by Spitfire2865

Honestly, for the Jupiter, you need to use the XL drivers. The L drivers are too small for the early American types.

Jupiter's drivers are only 63", so I think that either the L drivers or XLs would be appropriate, depending on the scale you want to shoot for. "Early" American locos had smaller drivers, with the size of the driver increasing as the size and power of locomotives increased in an effort to get more speed out of them.

Engineering drawings:

http://cprr.org/Museum/Books/Jupiter-119_Appleman_NPS.html