Thomas of Tortuga

In the Depths of the Forest

15416123636_9ed3775c54_z.jpg

Kashifa bint Muad'ah travels through the Withering Woods of northwest Kaliphlin. Yay lazy stories!

Well, this scene was rather challenging to make. The size I picked for the tree was quite difficult to get right without any gaps, and several of the plates are just barely wedged on. Meanwhile, the whole tree is sitting on a single stud, and the giant roots are also attached to the tree by one stud each. Also, the root in the front of the scene- the plate on the tree that's attached to is very floppy. As in, I take off the root, and when I try to press it back on I warp the plates and press them into the center of the tree, and I have to remove the entire plate assembly- without knocking off any of the leaves. Oh, I didn't mention the leaves. To get the angles looking natural, none of the leaves are attached by more than one stud, and many of them are angled by a 1x1 clip attached sideways to the very end of a bar. Speaking of plants- all the flower stems are made of rubber. That means, when you put them somewhere, they never stay attached. They clip onto studs, so you think they'll stay attached, but no! They come off 5, 6 at a time when you try to do anything near them.

End rant :laugh:

15252593178_55813bbb8f_z.jpg

I don't have the pieces to make an entire live oak at this scale, so I made this section of broken wood to take care of the top. Most of the tree blew down in a storm last year, but what's left on the stump is still growing well.

15252420239_33067d6335_z.jpg

This scene is heavily inspired by the South Carolina Lowcountry. This tree has Spanish moss hanging from the leaves, and Resurrection ferns growing on the roots. (The ferns are way too big, but whatever :)

15439204895_c4a47b0d96_z.jpg

Finally, a shot of Kashifa in the underbrush.

Overall, except for structural issues, I'm quite happy with this scene. It's realistic, it's a decent size, and I personally think it looks pretty sweet. Thanks for looking!

EDIT: UoP Credits:

+1 Tree Technique #2

+1 Countryside Scene

+1 Forests

Edited by Thomas of Tortuga

Nice tree there, I like the design of it. Didn't realise it was an oak though, i did see you said u had got the inspiration from south carolina. So im off to see if there are difference s between english and american oaks. Hope to see you build a bigger one.

Good work with the tree here, I like the use of technic axles! :thumbup: To be quite honest at first sight it looked to me like just a hodgepodge of broken branches (still looked cool!), I think because of the missing top. The last shot is really great though!

I really like the amount of realistic detail put into all of the foliage in this build. Very cool tree and interesting use of the axles to make the moss. Looks just like the real thing! Reminds me a lot of a recent trip I took to Florida, especially the moss. Nice job!

The moss is sick! Very. Aural build here!

Uh...Ok. Thanks? :tongue:

Nice tree there, I like the design of it. Didn't realise it was an oak though, i did see you said u had got the inspiration from south carolina. So im off to see if there are difference s between english and american oaks. Hope to see you build a bigger one.

Thanks! Live oaks are actually a certain type of oak tree with evergreen foliage, that mostly grows in the South- they look pretty different from normal oak trees! Maybe I'll do a larger version in the future, but right now this tree takes up all my brown plates and foliage :wink:

Good work with the tree here, I like the use of technic axles! :thumbup: To be quite honest at first sight it looked to me like just a hodgepodge of broken branches (still looked cool!), I think because of the missing top. The last shot is really great though!

So I might have used too many angles on the leaves? OK, that's a valid critique. I thought I needed it to keep the leaves from looking too flat, but maybe I should go for more structure next time. Originally, I didn't even plan to photograph the top, but the broken wood inside turned out so well at the last minute, I thought it was worth shooting.

Cool tree, I love the overall look of this scene.

Thank you!

Interesting tree design and great photography!

Thanks, Gideon!

So, as usual, I totally forgot to add the UoP credits until now. I don't think I've ever added the credits at the same time as the original post :blush:

Very nice build, very good job with the tree. +1 UoP DoH for all claims

Thanks!

I really like the amount of realistic detail put into all of the foliage in this build. Very cool tree and interesting use of the axles to make the moss. Looks just like the real thing! Reminds me a lot of a recent trip I took to Florida, especially the moss. Nice job!

Thank you! I live near the southeastern, Lowcountry area, so every time I go on vacation there I'm inspired to do something from this.

By the way, you two commented while I was replying to the others :tongue:

Edited by Thomas of Tortuga

Great tree, very intricate techniques and it looks super. UoP +1 all claims.

Cool little vignette, I really like how realistically overgrown the tree looks. :thumbup:

At first I had no idea what those technic pins were, but after reading the text it became very clear! Great job on the very forest looking scene here! Love the photos!

Very interesting use of the 4m axle piece! And that last picture is amazing! :wub:

Thank you! If you want to see a little more fun-photography on this, there's more here :classic:

Nice tree design, I do quite like this scene!

Thank you!

Very nice tree, looks amazing!

Thanks!

Great tree, very intricate techniques and it looks super. UoP +1 all claims.

Thanks, Robuko!

The broken part of the tree looks wel done. And the foliage is great :) love the last shot!

Thank you! The broken wood was pretty fun to design :wink:

Cool little vignette, I really like how realistically overgrown the tree looks. :thumbup:

Thanks! I'm glad you like it!

That tree looks really good, I love the idea for the spanish moss!

Thank you!

At first I had no idea what those technic pins were, but after reading the text it became very clear! Great job on the very forest looking scene here! Love the photos!

Thanks! I tried a few other Spanish moss techniques, but nothing else was the right color or the right size for a minifig. I'm glad it turned out!

I think your tree turned out very well, trees are definitely challenging to build and usually end up pretty fragile.

The section where the trunk broke in two looks very realistic :thumbup:

Nice tree design, so much to see :) It seems like a very complicated design , but the end result is worth it

Thanks! I'm glad you think so!

I think your tree turned out very well, trees are definitely challenging to build and usually end up pretty fragile.

The section where the trunk broke in two looks very realistic :thumbup:

Thank you! I'm so happy I thought to include that part! :wink: