Mr Greeble

Stolen figs

You'd think making all of the set boxes like the smaller versions with the thumb punch area to open it. They could cut it open somewhere and remove things, but then with tape on the box, it wouldn't be the manufactured way...granted, most people working the return area won't question anything, so it wouldn't matter. Short of requiring ID on all returns (like TRU) it might help catch a few people, but fake IDs are common/easy enough to acquire.

There are a lot of figures I'd love to have that I don't want to buy the set, but I don't see the purpose of stealing the figures just because I can't afford/don't want the full set...but that must just be my moral fiber talking..

Thumb punches might discourage in store thefts but people could still buy the sets, bring them home, screw around with the contents and return or exchange it. I can't remember the video name but I remember doing a video about how you can use a heat gun to melt the glue on the punch boxes, takes the items out, and use the heat gun to reseal the box. It looks like an average mint condition box but there's nothing inside it.

Thumb punches might discourage in store thefts but people could still buy the sets, bring them home, screw around with the contents and return or exchange it. I can't remember the video name but I remember doing a video about how you can use a heat gun to melt the glue on the punch boxes, takes the items out, and use the heat gun to reseal the box. It looks like an average mint condition box but there's nothing inside it.

If it's a larger set, then the lack of weight would make it obvious that there's nothing inside it. Of course, that's only really effective above the $30 mark, but you can always shake the boxes...although putting something inside to rattle about would be pretty easy. Heck, you could use fake-brand bricks, if you were trying to match the sound exactly.

I sometimes worry myself, how I can think of things like that. :look:

If it's a larger set, then the lack of weight would make it obvious that there's nothing inside it. Of course, that's only really effective above the $30 mark, but you can always shake the boxes...although putting something inside to rattle about would be pretty easy. Heck, you could use fake-brand bricks, if you were trying to match the sound exactly.

I sometimes worry myself, how I can think of things like that. :look:

Oops, should of made clearer on screwing with the contents. I meant like they could steal the figures and reseal the bags and return it or trading out parts for other stuff. With a scale and patience, it could get ugly

Shrink wrap would do nothing to stop a box cutter.

Missing or damaged shrink would tell customer the box has been opened and could be missing pieces. A carefully removed and reapplied seal fooled me once before and I ended up with a Harry Potter castle set missing all of minifigs.