CopMike

LEGO Star Wars UCS 75060 Slave I

What with it being a bank holiday, and the morning after a night of excess for many in the UK, I thought a nice gentle arrival at the Milton Keynes Lego store at 10.55 am this morning would be a breeze.

WRONG

I arrived as scheduled to find a throng of at least 50 AFOL, and not a kid in sight. The doors opened and I flashed back to the near riot scenes I saw on TV when people tried to buy bottom of the range flat screen TV's for 10% discount in the pre-Christmas sales. Not a great moment for the dignity or manners of many people.

Within 20 seconds the shelves were empty of Slave 1 and a queue was forming at the checkout. I politely asked the store assistant (who I am on nodding / saying Hi terms with due to a few too many store visits) if there were more available and she said some were being brought down from the store room straight away to the back of the shop.

I went to wait by the door to the behind the scenes area and was joined within 30 seconds by about 6 more customers. As the poor store assistant came through the door of the stockroom with 2 slave 1's in her hands she was practically mugged. People pushed past me, and as I reached my hand out to take one of the boxes, just as I touched it a large arm came over my shoulder and grabbed it away.

Im a lover, not a fighter, and I wasnt about to contribute to the madness, but this wasnt a great moment. The assistant saw what happened and said to me she would be right back with a set for me. Sure enough she went away and came back with another box, for which I was very grateful, and thanked her.

I certainly wasnt expecting this kind of clamour - other sets were moving almost as fast - There were at least 15 people ahead of me in the queue, many with multiple sets of the new smaller Star Wars sets, and at least 6 Detective Agencies. They guy in front of me has 12 boxes of Star Wars Rebels kits, some of them duplicates.

The one thing I couldnt help wondering though - Is this really the level of enthusiasm and excitement that these new sets generated ?, or were people buying with another motive in mind - profit ?. Have a number of those sets found there way onto eBay and the like ? Was what I saw more profit motivated than Lego enthusiasm ?

Either way, I dont know if it is normal for Lego to have a sale, and launch a number of clearly high demand sets on the same day, which is also a public holiday in the UK ? Maybe the alignment of those events is just a coincidence in a much bigger Global sales plan, but I couldnt help thinking it might have been a different experience if things were organised in another way ? Would launching the new products (maybe as VIP exclusives to start with) at a different time (earlier or later) have kept customers for those and bargain hunting sale customers apart ? Or is this the way of the future ? Am I gojng to have to man up a bit and not be bothered by the scrum if I want a popular product on day one ?

One thing is for sure, when the expected Lego Star Wars UCS Tie Fighter comes along in the late spring / summer, I wont be arriving 5 minutes before the store opens. It feels like we might be heading the way of Apple product launches. At least it will be warm when I take my deckchair and flask on a very early morning Lego mission.

As I finish, the other thing of note, as i've hinted, was the excellent attitude of the staff in the Milton Keynes store. They said they were surprised by all the people, but they remained friendly, positive, helpful and approachable, whilst working flat out to process purchases through the till and bring stock to the shop floor from the stock room. Well Done - You are a great advert for your store, where customer service clearly is taken very seriously, and excellently delivered.

Edited by Angry Warlock

Just picked mine up from London stratford while talking to the store assistant he said they only had one left now and they started with 30 they also had loads of the other sets but very few series 13 figures also picked up the double decker couch as five figures in a set for £15 was to good to miss

Good lord this thing is a massive build. I'm thru the first 8 bags plus I skipped ahead and built the stand and my only worry is how flimsy the wings are. Hopefully this will be remedied when the diagnal strut is added.

Update: Wings are still too wobbly for my liking with the support struts added. Also, the amount of stickers is ludicrous. I usually do not mind stickers, but there are so many that I'm only using the 2 for the canopy and the 2 cockpit control panels. Huge letdown for something so expensive.

Edited by pcsguy88

The guys who made the Detective Agency must have taken the whole printed part budget, as that has zero stickers and like 10 new printed parts.

My local store had Slave I, Detective Agency, Lincoln Memorial, and several other sets behind the checkout counter instead of on the shelves. I'd actually thought I missed out and would have to wait a while like with the Tumbler, but they had PLENTY.

I have already modded mine - its is a great set, now little greater :)

Hillsdale mall in San Mateo still had some left as of 11am. I grabbed the last one off the shelf but he said he had a bit more. I also got the flower and at st poly bags.

They had a bunch of birds and exo suits in stock too. Not sure if the suits are hard to get at this point.

K time to be a 6 year old

The Cardiff store was crazy busy but mostly with families with kids.

I picked up the Slave 1 and the bird Ideas set, the Slave 1 was the last on the shelf but as I turned from the counter after paying I could see the staff were already putting new sets out (this was around noon).

It's a hefty build but still reasonably priced for an UCS set.

I'm very nervous about picking it up though, still not sure where the solid/wonky areas are.

And I've lost count of the number of times those landing lights popped off the bottom of the ship as I was sliding it around the table adding pieces.

Picked mine up at Beachwood Oh Lego Store. The employees were like Promo Nazis. My wife and were going to buy one of everything to get all the promo kits. They said we could only choose one. So even though we bought the Slave 1, Detective Agency, some microfighters and other small sets we could only get one promo. So I got the flower cart. Hate that place. The store back in NY would not hesitate to give me one for every qualifying purchase.

ANYWAY, love the Slave 1. I got there at about 10:30 am. They opened at 10 am. I had to ask for one in the back as the shelf was bare. I asked if they could hold it at the counter while I continued to shop. The girl recommended I hold on to it. Seemed like they didnt have much left. We left and my friend messaged me to pick him up Braniac. Went back in and they sold out of Slave 1 by about 11am.

I have already modded mine - its is a great set, now little greater :)

But no pictures on your flickr! :(

Picked mine up at Beachwood Oh Lego Store. The employees were like Promo Nazis.

Really? I got the Slave I and 2 or 3 promos. Then I put that in the car and had lunch. When I went back to get the other things I had been considering, I got the promos again.

I got mine at about 10:10 on January 1st - as did the nice chap in front of me - with no bother at all. The big issue now is, where the hell do I put it if I build it?

EDIT: My only disappointment was the lack of the AT-DP polybag.

Edited by Panthro

I will be picking this up on the next trip home. I have been in a mix up between this or the tumbler but it seems that the Slave I wins the day... Cannot wait!

After building the Slave 1, I can no longer feel the Sandcrawler should be a $300 set. The Slave 1 is heavier and the instruction book is thicker. I don't know where those extra 1000pcs are.

Picked mine up at Beachwood Oh Lego Store. The employees were like Promo Nazis. My wife and were going to buy one of everything to get all the promo kits. They said we could only choose one. So even though we bought the Slave 1, Detective Agency, some microfighters and other small sets we could only get one promo. So I got the flower cart. Hate that place. The store back in NY would not hesitate to give me one for every qualifying purchase.

ANYWAY, love the Slave 1. I got there at about 10:30 am. They opened at 10 am. I had to ask for one in the back as the shelf was bare. I asked if they could hold it at the counter while I continued to shop. The girl recommended I hold on to it. Seemed like they didnt have much left. We left and my friend messaged me to pick him up Braniac. Went back in and they sold out of Slave 1 by about 11am.

Funny thing, I called that same location at 10:30 am and an employee said they sold out so I ended up ordering online. Looks like the two freebie sets shipped already and the Slave 1 shows warehouse status. You are lucky to buy in the store that day.

Got mine shipped from Lego yesterday. Boxart looks fantastic, can't wait for the build...

Anyone got the total height for this on the stand?, waiting for my S@H ordering and thinking about display spots :D

i measure mine at 17.5 inches tall, and 15 inches wide (wing to wing)

Edited by GallardoLU