Can't believe that this hasn't been a major topic before. Heck, it might've been, it's just been buried under other things since then. Nevertheless, what is your favourite combiner?

I'm not asking for the best one, because clearly, that is Gaardus! Don't deny it, he is a work of art.

As for my favourite... Well, I rarely got enough sets from a wave to build a complete combiner. I certainly never acquired enough titans to do so (And if I did, I wouldn't have dismanted them to build it anyway. My titans only get dismanted when I cannibalize too many parts to repair them)

So my favourite is actually Bohrok Kal Kaita Za.

800px-Bohrok-Kal_Kaita_Za.png

He was the first one I had all the components for, but even then, I could work out what went into him just from the picture of the completed model in the back of Tahnok Kal's instructions, so I built him before I even got the arms, with Gahlok and Lehvak replacing them. Once I did have him complete, he was just fun to play around with, and easy to return to his unmerged form.

However...

Lava Hawk is adorable.

Set_Rahi_Lava_Hawk.png

So, what's your favourite?

Who can forget Kardas? However, I really like that small, leaked image of one of the Toa/Protector combiners for next year.

Edited by Puffle Pal26

My favorite is a rather obscure one, Niazesk.

Niazesk.png

Pohatu, Vamprah, and Toa Ignika. I'm not sure what it is that draws me to this one above the others, but I really love the finished look of it.

Add me to the list for kardas, he was just too cool.

Although I'm fond of ultimate dume and irnakk too.

Kardas, no question. TSO comes close second due to my love for the character.

[the picture]

Pohatu, Vamprah, and Toa Ignika. I'm not sure what it is that draws me to this one above the others, but I really love the finished look of it.

That combiner uses the Leech ball's hemispheres for insect eyes. That is pretty unique itself. It looks like everything Bitil aspired to be, but ultimately failed in becoming.

My favorite Kaita was the first to appear in (possibly non-canon, but still) comic form. "Matoran Kaita 1" from the McToran sets and their mini promo comic.

Matoran_Kaita_1.png (Or alternatively Onepu's ascent to godhood)

Edited by InfurnallDragon

I'm not very good at choosing favorites, and there are SO MANY combi models to choose from that it's especially difficult in this case. Particularly because they cover such a wide range of designs. With a question like "Favorite titan set" it's easier to compare because at least the sets are generally somewhat humanoid in their design. But combi models can be ANYTHING.

For people who need to refresh their memory, this gallery is great reference. The creator of that gallery has photographed most sets and combi models from 2001–2011, though it's a bit difficult for browsing combi models in general because they're divided up between subfolders for the individual themes or years.

The Bohrok-Kal Kaita were indeed very awesome, though I somewhat prefer Ja to Za since it has a more unique build rather than just feeling like three Bohrok snapped together. I wouldn't consider either my favorite, though. Maybe my favorite in terms of combi models that were specifically fusions of multiple characters, but not in general.

2004 was a very good year for combi models, turning lots of very repetitive sets into much less repetitive creatures. Obviously, as with many combi models, color schemes could be a bit disjointed. But it was helped by all sets sharing the same Dark Stone Grey secondary color and having somewhat subdued primary colors. And despite being pretty weird, they each had a very unique identity. It would be hard to pick a favorite among these. The Toa Metru combi models, the scorpion-like Kralhi and rabbit-like Kraawa, were the coolest on a functional level, so it'd probably be one of those. My least favorite would probably be Ultimate Dume, the only one actually released as a set of its own. But I don't think ANY of those would be my absolute favorite of all time.

The Lava Hawk and Dagger Spider might be my favorite combi models built from small sets. It helped that the sets they were built from were diverse designs made up of extremely versatile parts. And despite using some odd building techniques and having disjointed color schemes, the 2007 Rahi are some of my favorite canister set combi model designs (and inspired a few drawings I'm still somewhat proud of). As for titan combi models, probably The Shadowed One (though oddly, a lot of those in general don't impress me so much in hindsight, either from feeling too much like their component sets, inferior to their component sets, or just generally awkward).

My favorite Hero Factory combi model is easily Scorpion Beast. And my favorite Slizer combi model is Robotops. Comparing combi models from the different themes would be tricky.

Holy moly I have to build that someday, thats great.

I'd probably go with Voporak, he looks cool (never had him though)

Edited by VBBN
Large image changed to link

Always loved Kardas and Voporak. The one that VBN showed is really cool too, never seen that one before though!

The unofficial Rahk combiners were badass.

It looks physically logical and has a cohesive color scheme compared to most other ones, for starters. :P Edited by Chro

My favourite is Makuta-nui, 2003 combiner of Makuta, Takua, Pewku, Jaller and Gukko.

Makuta_Nui.png

Its color scheme is cool (there's a lot of lovely dark orange)

Also I like its feet and claws

I've just painstakingly rebuilt the Kardas Dragon from my various heap of Mocs and pieces, and I have to say its really as gorgeous as it looks. It's insane that something that complex, the size of a small cat, and comprised of sets totaling only $70- You'd never see that today.

Add in the fact that the entire ensemble- all the pieces for Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon, and Fenrakk, but only the instructions for the modified Vezon and the Kardas Dragon- sold for only 50 dollars.

That's right- you could get this enormous dragon for only 50 dollars, back in 2006. That's roughly only 8 years ago. The third largest Bionicle set in history only sold for 50 dollars. (while the individual components sold for a total of $70.)

I'd heavily recommend anyone who has the component parts of this magnificent beast to recreate him, as his sheer size is mind blowing.

^^I always thought Makuta Nui was an Ash Bear. Thank you, GBA Maze of Shadows.

I'll go with the Kavinika. It's a cute little guy. I just don't understand how it's a wolf. I guess it acts like one?

I have to give it to Kraahu and Kranua, Ultimate Dume comes in a close second since he doesn't really hold up with age like the Vakhi combos do.

I also have a special place in my heart for the various Bohrok combiners. The Bohrok, for some reason, lend themselves REALLY WELL to alternate builds and combo models.

Edit: Special mention for those cool Japanese Rahkshi combiners, which are all wicked cool.

Edited by CabooseBM