WoutStopmotion

Exo Suit worth the price?

So i was thinking of getting an Exo Suit... but the price is kinda much, i think. €40 with shipping included.

I'm more a fan of older lego, such as Town. What should i do? Is the Exo Suit worth the €40 it costs or should i rather spend that money on some old sets?

I say it's definitely worth the price. When it first came out (and then sold out in about 48 hours), I was worried it would be sold out for good. I panicked, and bought on on eBay for $60 with shipping. After building it, I was so impressed with it that I bought two more as soon as they came back in stock. If you're more of a Town builder, it may not be as interesting to you. If you like space/sci-fi even a little, I would get it. A few reasons why I was really impressed with it:

1) The detail on it is something I've never seen in an official Lego set before. I've built a few Technic sets before, and some of the gear systems in there are pretty amazing, but the small details that make up the look of this set is just fantastic. Worth it due to this reason alone. All the detail is largely due to...

2) It was designed by a fan, and an obvious Classic Space enthusiast (check out the book Lego Space, co-written by the set's creator).

3) It comes with great minifigures, and a cute little turtle-bot.

I say it's definitely worth the price. When it first came out (and then sold out in about 48 hours), I was worried it would be sold out for good. I panicked, and bought on on eBay for $60 with shipping. After building it, I was so impressed with it that I bought two more as soon as they came back in stock. If you're more of a Town builder, it may not be as interesting to you. If you like space/sci-fi even a little, I would get it. A few reasons why I was really impressed with it:

1) The detail on it is something I've never seen in an official Lego set before. I've built a few Technic sets before, and some of the gear systems in there are pretty amazing, but the small details that make up the look of this set is just fantastic. Worth it due to this reason alone. All the detail is largely due to...

2) It was designed by a fan, and an obvious Classic Space enthusiast (check out the book Lego Space, co-written by the set's creator).

3) It comes with great minifigures, and a cute little turtle-bot.

I'm not into Space that much yet, but it's definitely a cool theme. I have about one or two sets? One being the M-Tron Beacon Tracer and the other being a super tiny Mars Mission (i believe it was that?) impulse set. I do want to get into it, definitely. If with small details you mean the so-called "greebling", well i'm not too sure if that's able to be called detail at all. I mean, it's just adding a ton of random parts all around the model and then calling that something. I think the model is somewhat small for the price, really. I don't mean it's not awesome, because it definitely is! Probably gonna get it anyways, but still wanting to know some opinions.

It depends hoe badly u want it and if it is a favorite to u. Some people will buy it even if it is costly and some will skip it even if it is cheaper...

So you see what you feel toward it..

Is the Exo-suit worth it?

Does it hurt like hell when you step on a 2×2 brick in your bare feet at 4 in the morning?

The answer is a resounding, "yes"!

It's amazing to see what looks like a box full of greebling become the exo-suit.

Edited by Colossus

I'm not into Space that much yet, but it's definitely a cool theme. I have about one or two sets? One being the M-Tron Beacon Tracer and the other being a super tiny Mars Mission (i believe it was that?) impulse set. I do want to get into it, definitely. If with small details you mean the so-called "greebling", well i'm not too sure if that's able to be called detail at all. I mean, it's just adding a ton of random parts all around the model and then calling that something. I think the model is somewhat small for the price, really. I don't mean it's not awesome, because it definitely is! Probably gonna get it anyways, but still wanting to know some opinions.

Yes, it's the greebling that I was getting at. Some may not care for that in a set, or it may not make a set more attractive to them, but for me it was a major selling point. If that sort of thing doesn't matter much to you, it may not a worthwhile purchase for you.

Its not the greebling so much. I could leave it. It's the fact that so many smaller plates, wedges, and studs form this cohesive figure. I guess I'm not used to that. Since I came out of my dark ages, I've been collecting modulars along with whatever sets I'm building with my kids. In these sets, form and structure come from 1x4, 1x8, and larger bricks, not minute pieces that I'm accustomed to being used simply for greebling.

Yeah the way the figure is put together, the flexibility and stability of it, and the fact that those characteristics belong to something made out of so many *tiny* almost insubstantial looking parts is amazing. It just looks great with the minifigs, the turtle, and the suggestion of a base that comes with the grate and barrels that seem so simple but help the display so much--it's different from any other kind of set, and the experience of building it is well worth the price of admission, to me.

Obviously it will appeal differently to different people, and obviously a spare 40 euro means less to some and more to others, but if you're asking the question you're at least tempted, right?

More than worth it. The build itself is amazing. I could not imagine all these little bricks could end up in such a wonderful results. It is truly very instructive to build.

As for the end-results and agility or playability, this image is worth everything:

14979287577_88e6bef077.jpg

Exo-Suit and LL-924 by Veynom, on Flickr

Yeah the build is fantastic. When you open up all the bags and see the parts there in the box you start to feel a little uneasy, like "where are all the BIG parts for the body?" It just looks like a pile of small parts. But the way they add up to a great machine is part of why I love LEGO.

My favorite thing about the Exo-Suit is that it contains basically ZERO large parts.

The only parts in the set that even come close to being "large" would be the grille plate, the flexible hose and the brick separator.

Not to mention all the exclusive or rare parts in the thing. And those green astronauts (I have wanted green air tanks for years and I finally have them)

My favorite thing about the Exo-Suit is that it contains basically ZERO large parts.

The only parts in the set that even come close to being "large" would be the grille plate, the flexible hose and the brick separator.

Not to mention all the exclusive or rare parts in the thing. And those green astronauts (I have wanted green air tanks for years and I finally have them)

Agreed. My girlfriend and I built it together, and when we opened up the box and saw the pile of small pieces she asked, "That's it?" Piece-by-piece it came together though, and the end result is totally worth it.

Veynom, love that picture you linked! :thumbup: It is indeed very agile. For the Dress my Exo-Suit contest, I added a bit more wrist-flexibility for mine, but the overall shape is still the same:

15290596882_69393976f0.jpg

BD_Exo_Action by The Gray Fox, on Flickr

I think it's worth it. Seems better value than the BTTF and Ghostbusters sets:

GB £45 for 508 pieces = 11.3ppp

BTTF £35 for 401 pieces = 11.5ppp

Exosuit £30 for 321 pieces = 10.7ppp

Guess there's not much in it. Maybe it just feels better value cos of the overall price is lower.  Plus it contains lots of small grey pieces which are useful for sci-fi moc-ing.

Well, since you're not really a space person, I'm not too sure it's worth it. It's definitely a cool model to have in general, but even if you were just getting it for parts, it's got a PHENOMENAL selection for parts if you're a space or licensed enthusiast.

I think it's worth it. Seems better value than the BTTF and Ghostbusters sets:

GB £45 for 508 pieces = 11.3ppp

BTTF £35 for 401 pieces = 11.5ppp

Exosuit £30 for 321 pieces = 10.7ppp

Guess there's not much in it. Maybe it just feels better value cos of the overall price is lower. Plus it contains lots of small grey pieces which are useful for sci-fi moc-ing.

Ditto. The Price per Piece is fairly low. Also, although I am sure no is is buying it part out, the individual elements are pretty pricey. Now-a-days, because of the popularity of mecha suits, anything in gray that can serve as parts for greeblies is going to be expensive. Real quick, if someone were to try and build the exo-suit by indivdually buying the elements on bricklink, it would cost you nearly 100$ USD!

I'm just going to echo everyone here with a resounding "yes". :)

I hope it comes back in stock. I wouldn't mind one more (I have two) for the green Spacemen! I need a few more with generic smiley faces.

I've been watching S@H since the set was released and it's always "temporarily out of stock." I also have been checking Amazon and eBay, but those have been way over RRP.

Then yesterday I stumbled across an Amazon listing for Exo-suit for right at RRP, $34.95. I'm a Prime member, free shipping and no sales tax, so I quickly ordered it! An hour later the price had gone back up to $52+.

I can't wait to get this set in.

I bought this set last night and built it. It is a fantastic experience, very playable, and enormously fun to build. I would buy at RRP without regrets, and am likely to get a second set myself.

Buy it! It is an AMAZING model even if you don't like space at all... It has so many useful techniques and NPUs!