Sign in to follow this  
murtaughf3

Starting a massive project, considering pulling from bricklink invento

So I'm wanting to start a MASSIVE Star Wars project. Not really sure what direction I want to go. Maybe a epic battle scene, perhaps a base with dozens of ships ready for combat, or something else really cool. I know this will be a costly project and will probably take me several months to complete. Not to mention I'll be moving within the 12-15 months so don't want to get to in-depth with it. My currently goal is to mostly stock pile the stuff for the project.

I currently have a modest 30k piece bricklink store and I am considering taking the pieces I need for this project from the store. If I take this route I will continue to pull pieces from sets I part out to add to the project and add the remaining to the store to help offset the cost.

My other option would be to just leave everything in the store, continue adding and then once I move pull the inventory for the project. My problem with this is I would hate to sell pieces and then turn around and buy them all over again. I rather deal with shrinking my inventory now and then slowly regrowing my store back up.

I have also compiled a list of all the sets I'd like to use in the project and I am considering adding them all to my want list in bricklink so I can keep track of my progress as I accumulate the pieces for the project.

I have never taken on a project of this magnitude, so does it sound like I'm on the right track or is there a better way I could go about doing this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I would do the first option... selling things just to buy them again seems overtly roundabout... Good luck on your SeriouslyHugeInvestment in Parts!

Edited by legozebra

I would do the first option... selling things just to buy them again seems overtly roundabout... Good luck on your SeriouslyHugeInvestment in Parts!

I agree that this is the best route. The cheapest part is the one you already have! I have spent way too much trying to accumulate just the right parts for a project. I am also now buying sets with a large number of parts I need in them, I think that will save me money in the long run. Its hard to find sets with a lot of useful parts though, for me, some of them are retired and gone up in price and out of reach.

Thanks for the input. This is the route I'm going. I already added the majority of what I need into my bricklink wanted listed. Looks like I defiantly am bitting off more than I can chew but oh well, go big or go home right?