The Geschützwagen Tiger or GW Tiger was a prototype artillery piece designed by Germany durning WWII, It was never finished. IT was based off of a Tiger II with a lengthened hull to support a 17cm or 21cm field guns.

Here are some possible plans for my model of it

Functions

-transmission

-lowering of rear stabilizing "foot" (will probably use a cam action to lower it then have further rotation will lower it vertically and put resistance on the ground

-breech recoiling along with some horizontal movement of the gun carriage backwards (when "fired" the gun carriage will move back 8 studs? then the breech will recoil back 2 studs.) It's not the round thing("gong" as WOT players would call it) on the back, I won't have that on the model because thats for removing the gun rails back.

-engine bay like in my tiger I

so here are the blueprints of the vehicle after they have been scaled by Sariel's scaler.

15224687167_7d5d8bc92b_o.pngLego GW Tiger by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

15408037031_3b0889c26c_o.pngLego GW Tiger by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

For some reason I have fascinations with some of the crazy superheavy vehicles that were created during WWII...

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

some progress on the suspension, I experimented with a different type of suspension than torsion bars. It allows for decreasing the distance between road wheels by 1 stud.

15228574270_9249a06046_c.jpgLego GW Tiger 1/15 (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

15228569600_f5dd02f0c7_c.jpgLego GW Tiger 1/15 (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky
Images way too big

I play World of Tanks and the size of that makes the Renault FT-17 look like the GW's turd. But I can't wait to see this.

Hi,

Your images are way too big. Can you link to the 800 (or 1024 max) version of the images? Thanks.

For now, I have replaced your images by links.

Hi,

Your images are way too big. Can you link to the 800 (or 1024 max) version of the images? Thanks.

For now, I have replaced your images by links.

fixed.

fixed.

Thanks Tommy :thumbup:

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

I shortened the distances between the 10th, and 11th road wheels and the distance with the Idler wheel was shortened too. Motors were added to it too.

15245445169_dcda1cdeef_c.jpgLego GW Tiger 1/15 (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

15245656318_5e2e965ebf_c.jpgLego GW Tiger 1/15 (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

I might change some of the ratios for increased torque

and here's a video of the vehicle in motion

Lego GW Tiger 1/15 (RC) Test

Being a former Navy guy, I'm not well versed with ground forces, but this isn't the vehicle usually referred to as a Tiger Tank, right?

Also, you want crazy superheavy artillery? When are you going to make a Landkreuzer P. 1000 Ratte, Panzer VIII Maus or better yet (IMO), Krupp's Schwerer Gustav or Geschütz Dora.

:grin:

Now, them some big guns.

Being a former Navy guy, I'm not well versed with ground forces, but this isn't the vehicle usually referred to as a Tiger Tank, right?

Also, you want crazy superheavy artillery? When are you going to make a Landkreuzer P. 1000 Ratte, Panzer VIII Maus or better yet (IMO), Krupp's Schwerer Gustav or Geschütz Dora.

:grin:

Now, them some big guns.

This vehicle was built off of a Tiger II or King tiger chassis, with the addition of 2 more road wheels.

You forgot to add the Karl morser or the Landkreuzer p.1500 with the Dora gun. Also I do have far future plans to build some of those vehicles.

Next time build this crazy WW2 rail mounted gun, that was actually built by the germans in WW2.

It needs 2 railway tracks quite a large space away from each other just to move

The Gustav Gun, or Dora Railway Gun

the-gustav-gun-an-80cm-railway-gun-and-the-largest-calibre-rifled-weapon-ever-u.jpg

Edited by anton1678

"France fell in 1940 without the assistance of the Gustav Gun, so new targets were sought. Plans to use Gustav against the British fortress of Gibraltar were scrapped after General Franco refused permission to fire the gun from Spanish soil. Thus, April 1942 found the Gustav Gun emplaced outside the heavily fortified port city of Sebastopol in the Soviet Union. Under fire from Gustav and other heavy artillery, Forts Stalin, Lenin and Maxim Gorki crumbled and fell. One round from Gustav destroyed a Russion ammunition dump 100 feet below Severnaya Bay; a near miss capsized a large ship in the harbor. Gustav fired 300 rounds during the siege wearing out the original barrel in the process. Dora was set up west of Stalingrad in mid-August but hurriedly withdrawn in September to avoid capture. Gustav next appeared outside Warsaw, Poland, where it fired 30 rounds into Warsaw Ghetto during the 1944 uprising"

I don't think such a machine should be glamourised in any way even though it was an engineering marvel it was designed to destroy big scale.

Edited by Rockbrick

I don't think such a machine should be glamourised in any way even though it was an engineering marvel it was designed to destroy big scale.

I don't see how tanks and small artillery should also be glamourised, since they are basically doing the same thing on a smaller scale.

It would be interesting to see one with a technic frame and power functions.

Someone has already made one in lego, no technic yet. Let's go back on topic, shall we?

8689335906_d16018aed6_z.jpg

I personally don't look at tanks and see them as in a combat zone, but more like any other vehicle. I focus on the Innovative concepts that were created to improve the vehicle. If you look at the sheer difference between interwar vehicles and the ones at the end of the war (not to mention all of the prototype vehicles). WWII shaped armored warfare, thus there are plenty of vehicles to choose from. That Is why I usually build vehicles from WWII, and because I enjoy learning about the history behind them.

Have a look at the Karl with 60cm howitzer

Karl6.jpg

I have mixed feelings, having been born and raised in Warsaw. Tanks are one thing, but a monstrosity like the Gustav is nothing less than a weapon of mass destruction. It may have been less lethal than a nuke, but a LEGO model would make me uncomfortable nonetheless - in the same way I think a LEGO model of, say, Enola Gay would be seen as inappropriate by most.

in the same way I think a LEGO model of, say, Enola Gay would be seen as inappropriate by most.

I agree with this, I don't plan to build any sort of vehicles that were designed to purposely eradicate civilians.

though I do have eventually planned to create a 1/35 RC Landkreuzer P.1000 Ratte

P__1000_Ratte_Tank_Cutaway_by_VonBrrr.jpg

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

Karl:

KdoXRFJwPjiIRAK-556x313-noPad.jpg

as with my earlier comment, I thought you were doing the Tiger P version :look:

Edited by legomuppet9

Here's some more progress on the hull, next will be the engine bay and the recoil rails and traverse ring for cannon.

The Stabilizing "foot" works, though it didn't have to be as complex as I thought it had to be. It uses a worm gear instead of LAs because I was using small LAs and they didn't have a long enough travel to rotate the "foot" the proper distance.

15473248925_cc0b0c21e3_c.jpgLego GW Tiger 1/15 (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

I added the traverse mechanism with a oldham coupling to support the rear structure of the gun carriage. There won't be anymore updates for this week, as I will be on vacation.

15313166869_3845b066f6_c.jpgLego GW tiger 1/15 (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

15496921881_519322dffb_c.jpgLego GW tiger 1/15 (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky