hknssn

Paper Plane Folding Machine V2.1

Hello!

So this is a old project of mine that some of you might have seen 1,5 year ago when i posted version 2.0 on the mindboards forum.

Since then there have been som upgrades and changes, so i decided to make a new (better) video and also post it here on eurobricks :).

The machine folds paper planes and throws them automatically.

It has 2 NXT units controlling everything with 6 servo motors, 10-12 power function motors and lots of sensors. (The power function motors is controlled with a IR-Link sensor connected to the NXT)

The big diffrence from this version (V2.1) and my old version (V2.0) is the look of the machine and alot of the function has been upgraded so that it's more reliable and faster.

The speed for folding 1 plane has gone down from 2 min 50sec to 1 min 45 sec.

It is also running from a external 9VDC power supply instaid of batteries which makes a big difference.

I hope you like it :)

img_1235.jpg

Below is links to the old versions.

V1.0 :

V2.0 :

Hopefully some day i'll make a V3.0 that folds more complex paper planes :)

/Hknssn

Imagine you forget to turn it off, coming home to see hundreds of paper planes one the ground :grin:

Nice!

This is really awesome machine and fun to watch. I like how it even throws the plane at the end. :thumbup: Good work.

This is some incredible industrial engineering. Well done indeed. I'm glad I don't have this or I would sit there mesmerized by it all day.

I really like this, nice work. Do the 2 nxt units communicate or do the look after a section each and have no need to know what the other is going

This is some incredible industrial engineering. Well done indeed. I'm glad I don't have this or I would sit there mesmerized by it all day.

So when shall we expect the instructions? :P

Awesome thing you got there. If you are not an engineer you should change your career path asap ! Congrats for designing such a beautiful MOC !

I really like this, nice work. Do the 2 nxt units communicate or do the look after a section each and have no need to know what the other is going

Thanks!, the 2 nxt communicated with bluetooth.

So when shall we expect the instructions? :P

Maybe at some point i'll build it in LDD, no promises :).

Fantastic! :thumbup:

How consistent are the results from the process?

The planes that gets through the machines ends up almost identical. It do sometimes happend that the plane get stuck in the machine and need to be manualy removed but its kinda rare, most of the mechancal problems that i have encountered so far has been fixed.

The problems i have at the moment is:

- messureing the air pressure, at the moment i'm using a spring pressed against a pneumatic cylinder with a sensor. It works fine the first 2-3 planes then the spring tend to stay in the pressure ok state even if it's not :/. The plan is to get a proper non lego pressure sensor.

- Controlling PF motors from NXT, sometimes the IR signal from the IR-LINK sensor dont get recived by the PF IR recievers so the PF motors dont start/stop when they should. But its kinda rare.

- PF motors dying after 4-5 hours. Had it run on a lego event in sweden for 9 hours, replaced 2 motors after 5 hours.

Very nice construction!

PF motors dying after 4-5 hours.

That's unexpected, no? Is this machine that hard on the PF motors?