15388900616_91b99af448_c.jpg

---------------------------------------

The Black Falcon Flies Again - Part 1

15411990115_c8b6798fee_z.jpg

25 years ago Lord Durstan of Highmountain led his people in rebellion against the Crown. At first it went well, but after months of fighting the young Crown Prince brought reinforcements from the capital. Defeated and wounded by the Prince himself, Durstan had no choice but to end his ambitions of independence.

15388936156_bcc5669b23_z.jpg

For more than two decades he has been away from home, a loyal courtier in the royal castle. But he still remembers Highmountain in his dreams. He dreamt of it the night the Chamberlain woke him, with news that the King had an errand for him.

15225384798_fc4cf84671_z.jpg

The Chamberlain took Durstan through the city, down towards the docks. There was trouble in Highmountain, he told him; rumblings of war. The King wanted Durstan to return home and restore the Crown's order.

They arrived at the docks and Durstan saw it: his own ship, repainted in the King's colours but as proud as when he'd last seen it quarter of a century ago.

The Sea Hawk.

15411641242_cf4a4b6c8a_z.jpg

The King himself was there to see them off. Durstan swore his loyalty and promised to do what he could to restore order. And then they took to sea, and finally he was homeward-bound again.

15225427357_a8dd568f29_z.jpg

15388928546_2fcfe10a0a_z.jpg

15411625812_c6c84b144d_z.jpg

15225205879_7e4ea34083_z.jpg

15225200209_ac2c05d584_z.jpg

15408771051_f9e759fd6b_z.jpg

15225406897_c3ed57161d_z.jpg

--------------

This is my first large-scale MOC. I never quite lost interest in Lego, but I didn't build anything for a long time. My dad loved it, though - he was a long-term AFOL. He didn't build his own things, but he liked looking at what others made and would often tell me excitedly about the latest sets. Late last year he was diagnosed with a brain tumour. I built this while he was ill and finished it after his death a few months ago. I like to think he'd be pleased with it. This one's for him.

Janjy

Edited by Janjy Giggins

Wow! That's got to be one of the best-looking galleons I've seen *oh2* . I don't know a lot about ships and their sizes, but the size of your boat seems to be very realistic and close to scale (at least to my poor knowledge). The photography is also quite good, I like the clouds in the background. It makes the presentation seem more believable.

Great job, awesome build. I'm sure your father would be very pleased with this :tumbup: .

The first picture si so damn impressive! I cant imagine the number of transparent transparent blue bricks you have! The ship is a very realsitically looking galley. I love the front pattern made with cheese slopes. Also good story to go along,

I cant imagine the number of transparent transparent blue bricks you have!

Not that many! I have a fair few from the Pick a Brick wall - enough to go round the ship - but I've extended them in the photos with photoshop to create an actual sea. There aren't any tweaks to the actual ship itself, I should stress.

Edited by Janjy Giggins

This is amazing! Great attention to detail and realism.

Definetely one of the best galleons I have seen! Your father would have liked it, I am sure.

Slegengr

Wow - beautiful! So many things to like, but the cheese slope stripes add just that little extra something to make it pop. :sweet:

Does the ship have any interior detailing you can share with us?

Great work and a grand memorial to your father. I think Kabel, one of the History Moderators and resident Shipwright, needs to see this.

Well, that's a touching story behind the creation but I am sure your father would have liked this creation.

The ship looks really good and the little storyline is also nice to read.

Did you made the sails yourself or are they from another non-LEGO ship model?

Does the ship have any interior detailing you can share with us?

I'm afraid not. There's a little bit in the bow, but it's not very accessible now the rigging's on. The rest of the interior's a mess of scaffolding.

Did you made the sails yourself or are they from another non-LEGO ship model?

My girlfriend's mum very kindly made the sails for me from artist's canvas, based on templates I created. I added the transferred designs.

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone!

The MOC and reason do build it is really special. The slopes effect is the best detail in my opinio and the flags are very well done. This is a awesome creation, man! Congratulations! Do you know that Rio classic image of Corcovado with the arms open? So, I'm looking to him now and sending you and your family very good vibrations. God bless you all. :)

I see that it's called the Sea Hawk but I don't see Marshawn Lynch or Russel Wilson anywhere. J/K

It's a pretty awesome ship that you've built.

Really nice work, this is some great building, stuff I could only dream of making. I'm sure your father would've been very proud.

That ship and the way you photographed it is fantastic. Great one mate.. The custom sails are lovely also!

Really impressive, awesome. Do my eyes see right, have you built it up on to TLG orignal hull pieces?

Whatever it is or not you have done an impressive job, so many small bricks and slopes used to build up the hull.

I also had too take another look or two at the first image, couldn´t beleive it was made of Lego bricks.

Great job.

And yes the story is also great, hope to see more.

Fantastic.

Your work on model and photography is sheer excellence.

Actually, at first glance I mistook the first picture for a real ship (which you might have taken as blueprint for your model...) it is so utterly realistic. :classic:

(I wish I could take such decent pictures of my models)

Wow. This is one of the best medieval cogs I have seen made of Lego. I like the use of the sails, you must have made them yourself. You have also changed the color of the nets and you have used a brownish non Lego string. That is something that makes look the cog even more realistic. Using the barrels for the mast was fantastic. Furthermore the pics are lovely. The morning mist makes me feel like I am travelling to medieval Hamburg. The use of the mini slopes at the bow is mind blowing and I have no idea how you managed to fix them, at least I do not see any attachment possibilities for the studs.

Do not take this Moc apart, put it in a display cabinet.

My condolences to you. Mine is fighting (against two different types).

Do my eyes see right, have you built it up on to TLG orignal hull pieces?

Yes, it's built on hull pieces from the Caribbean Clipper which I've had since I was a kid and finally dismantled after about 20 years. Plus a few more midsections I got off ebay.

Actually, at first glance I mistook the first picture for a real ship (which you might have taken as blueprint for your model...)

It's loosely based on Columbus' Santa Maria, mainly because that was the only medium-sized carrack I could find good blueprint images for.

You have also changed the color of the nets and you have used a brownish non Lego string.

I'm not sure what you mean - there aren't any nets apart from the rigging and that's all custom-made (two or three days of tying little knots in string...)

The use of the mini slopes at the bow is mind blowing and I have no idea how you managed to fix them, at least I do not see any attachment possibilities for the studs.

They are attached at the bottom. The top ones aren't, but they're clamped in place by the plates above and bricks behind. It's fairly stable so long as it doesn't get knocked too hard (which is more than can be said about the stern). The whole forecastle isn't attached because of the weird angle. I tried various ways of fastening it on, but they never worked very well because it was so fiddly to get inside there and make sure everything was securely pressed into place. In the end it balances on quite snugly and doesn't move around too much, even though it's technically loose. If it weren't for the rigging you could lift it off and see the ship's only interior section.

Thanks for all your comments, everyone, and for your good wishes. I appreciate them!

Janjy

Sad your dad never saw it finished. It's a lovely MOC, and it didn't appear to me as a LEGO ship in the first image until I looked closer! Well done!