Since there are images available without watermark, I think it is time to give the 42036 its own topic as well.

I copied my post from the general 2015 Technic topic and pasted it here as a topic starter:

42036-1.jpg

42036b.jpg

As a motorbike rider and fan of most Technic bikes, I must say that I'm disappointed in the 42036.

- It presents no new technical challenges like an interesting way of propulsion (through a drive shaft for example), exciting swing-arm configuration, new engine layout (would love a boxer) nor gearbox.

- The aesthetics are not very satisfying as well: The body shape is not very pleasing and looks unfinished, the windscreen is too bulky, the stickers for the saddle look poor and the rear tire is too skinny for this type of bike. It almost looks like a B-model.

- I really miss attention to details which would be possible in this scale: No license plate at the rear, no fuel filler cap, no realistic dials, no brake and clutch handles, no radiator, it doesn't even have foot pegs.

- I appreciate the light blue panels, but as a whole the color scheme doesn't work for me. I would have loved a Martini color scheme with orange, white and light blue, but I guess this is copy-righted.

This could and should have been done much better, I'll MOD it for sure, but with all the modifications, it will probable be more like a MOC.

I'm curious in the B-model of this set, could be better than the A-model in this case.

Edited by Cumulonimbus

They could easly make a bike with a shaft driven wheel instead of the 1000x used chain...Looks very plain, TBH... Also orange and blue would be nicer.

I get the feeling that the choice for light blue parts really has limited the building possibilities of the designers.

The time and budget for new parts and existing parts in new colours might have gone up to the other models in this wave.

Since there are images available without watermark, I think it is time to give the 42036 its own topic as well.

I copied my post from the general 2015 Technic topic and pasted it here as a topic starter:

Can I do something like this for the other sets, like the 42039 (my Technic pick besides the Arctic Loader)?

Edited by Blakbird
: Trimmed large quote.

Can I do something like this for the other sets, like the 42039 (my Technic pick besides the Arctic Loader)?

Not sure what you mean, you are free to build you own bike with my suggestions, but I'm not "ordering" a MOD/MOC. In fact I'm working on a on a BMW HP2 on this scale with many of the mentioned features. Unfortunately, the progress is very slow due to my desire for the (in my eyes) perfect balance between functions, proportions and rigidity.

Edited by Cumulonimbus

He probably means a new topic similar to this one and another dedicated to 42039

I would love to see a trike version of this. Personally I'm not interested in motorbikes, in general, but trikes kinda interest me, and with all (?) the motorbike sets there is already, I would like to see this set being released as a trike instead.

- I appreciate the light blue panels, but as a whole the color scheme doesn't work for me. I would have loved a Martini color scheme with orange, white and light blue, but I guess this is copy-righted.

I actually would have preferred regular blue. Light blue is a rare color with so few Technic parts that you can't really do anything with it. If these panels had been regular blue, it would have really helped to fill out the blue catalog (and I really need blue panels for a certain project!).

- I really miss attention to details which would be possible in this scale: No license plate at the rear, no fuel filler cap, no realistic dials, no brake and clutch handles, no radiator, it doesn't even have foot pegs.

I would guess that some of those details existed in a prior version of the model, but had to be removed to hit a certain target price point.

...and I really need blue panels for a certain project!

Care to enlighten us?

Edited by grum64

It has some unpleasant effects in handling when accelerating,breaking and cornering, weights quite a bit and has some extra friction.

But you can get some those blue panel types on new sets, 42020 ....with these new light blue additions we now have 4 panel types in light blue

I actually would have preferred regular blue. Light blue is a rare color with so few Technic parts that you can't really do anything with it. If these panels had been regular blue, it would have really helped to fill out the blue catalog (and I really need blue panels for a certain project!).

I would guess that some of those details existed in a prior version of the model, but had to be removed to hit a certain target price point.

4500286298_caacb06eab.jpg

Anyone else seeing this when you look at the motorcycle?

The motorcycle looks ok, i think that 42007 looks better. But, this is a set that i will be buying since i missed 8051 and now the BL prices are nuts for it !

Sport bikes should never be shaft driven.....

A new Technic bike doesn't have to be shaft driven per se, my point was that there are many interesting mechanisms and layouts out there which I would love to see in a Technic bike at some point.

Why does it has to be a sports bike in the first place? There are so many types of bikes in the real world and so far we have only seen dirtbikes and sportbikes as official A-models (and a Trike in '80-s).

It has some unpleasant effects in handling when accelerating,breaking and cornering, weights quite a bit and has some extra friction.

True, but there are clever solutions for most of these issues. The paralever system (as BMW calls it), cancels out most of the undesired reaction forces and making it a single sided swing arm (again as BMW does), reduces the weight a bit.

4500286298_caacb06eab.jpg

Anyone else seeing this when you look at the motorcycle?

No, to me it looks messy with the red splashed everywhere.

Since we are discussing the colors, what about the dark grey rims? By combining the existing gold rims with regular blue panles, something much more appealing could have been created like this:

61735-yamaha-yzf-r6-in-dark-blue-with-gold-rims_1280x720.jpg

>End of rant mode<

He probably means a new topic similar to this one and another dedicated to 42039

Oh I see. Sure, I'm not a moderator, but I think you can if you want to.

Edited by Cumulonimbus

42036 Pro's:

-Bold styling

-Looks great in the box art

-GULF colour scheme

-Headlight arangement is superb

-Extremely sturdy build

Con's:

Missing panels under the handlebars

Seat is too long

Bottom of fairing is too wide (see Yamaha R6 above)

Kieran

I know the designers have a whole host of restrictions and guidelines they must adhere to but in my opinion this could have been so much better.

Well, if you compare this MOC to 42036, I am sorry to say that you definitely do not understand the restrictions and standards an official model has to deal with.