Did anyone notice that they got rid of the knob on the side?

Maybe it got switched to the other side?

Actually, the more that you look at this model, it is completely different than the previously seen one.

Like I said in the other thread, what puzzles me the most is why would Lego make a poster out of a model that was never meant to be..?

This was cropped out of the recent Technic Designer video...

xvJKryW.jpg

Maybe it got switched to the other side?

Actually, the more that you look at this model, it is completely different than the previously seen one.

My wife and I were picking differences apart last night between the 2 models and I came to the conclusion that this entire model was a separate model from that other one... Not modified or altered, but a complete rebuild...

Hopefully when this comes out, it will have updated slightly redesigned hubs that are not the wobbly sloppy mess that the ones from the 42000 were... But I doubt that will happen...

They really did do a complete redesign, didn't they. The new fender panels are nice and the front air splitter is more accurate to a real LMP1 car but the headlights are too vertical and the choice to use round lenses instead of the tiles was a terrible idea. And what happened the roof and rear section! Ehh!!!

The redesign resembles the 2014 Toyota LMP1 car where the first image looks very 2012-2013 Audi-esk.

I don't mid the redesign however what ruins it for me is the removal of the tail fin which all LMP cars have had to carry since 2012.

You are right, it's mossing the vertical stabyliser, I hope it does not have understeer or flips overs when takes a big bump :P

I don't think we'll get new hubs until 2015 or 2016.

Don't you think it will be cool that LEGO bought the ACO (or FIA or whatever it's needed for Le Mans) license and made real prototypes?

Edited by PROlego

The more I think about it the more I'm convinced they did it in a rush and were somehow forced to do it fast. Maybe it was breaking some kind of license and they found out when it was just about to be finalised?

Well, I think you can't know for sure. I'm sure Lego does research on these things. Afol's wishes are different from children's wishes.

I assumed kids would prefer the 'prettier' version.

I would guess every model goes through a quality cycle that looks like a sine wave. The very first concept model isn't very good because some things do not work quite right or are not strong enough, etc. The second model is optimized by the designer. He fixes all the problems of the concept model and makes it as good as he can. This is probably what is used to make a decision about producing the product. Then the marketing and sales people get involved and make it worse (from a design standpoint) but more profitable. They reduce the number of elements, they reduce the number of colors, they simplify to make it fit into a price point. This will almost always result in a finished product that is less desirable for the adult fan than the previous model because the previous model did not have so many constraints. So I think it is not surprising that we don't like the final model as well as the preliminary picture.

I remember when a bunch of early 8275 designs were shown next to the final product, and some of them were way better (but more expensive).

Those original wheel arches looked a lot better, but it also looks like they weren't supported very well so I can imagine they were not strong. The old arches were also a different color front and rear. The new parts are the same part all the way around the car, so that means fewer elements, and they are also clearly more sturdy.

I'm not sure why they changed the headlights so much. The new lights are so vertical that they would be terrible aerodynamically on a race car. They also changed the front splitter a lot from something that was curved and sculpted to something very square and flat.

The headlights are seemingly based off a cross of this years Toyota and Porsche LMP1's. Strangely the tall flat headlights are fairly aerodynamic as the Porsche has been one of the fastest cars in a straight line this season. I think the original design seemed to replicate the Audi R18 instead.

Edited by Brickprawn

I don't like final version very much... the preliminary images we've seen some days ago have a little bit smooth and nice design imho :sceptic:

If I will buy it when it will be available I will try to reproduce the 'preliminary' design I think...

It could be possible to MOC and created a fairly accurate copy of this, you could use LBG panels from 7160 and the headlights you could use trans black 30602.

Edited by Jim
removed images from quote

Definately prefer the front end of the original concept - the rest of the final version is possibly better with the lower wheel arches...

The front(lamp and nose) and the cockpit was better in the old version, and maybe the side of the car too....maybe the exhaust is the only detail, which is better in the new one.

They obviously went for Toyota look of the front ...

I'm sad they did ...

I do wish they had included the tail fin and the rear wing end-plates to match the Toyota TS040. IF I buy it I will probably have to modify it. Does anybody know if the required pieces in blue are available to fully MOD it to a Toyota colour scheme?

Edited by Alasdair Ryan
Removed Images From Quote

The more I see it, the more it grows on me. Though I still can't find it in myself to like the cockpit ... that area simply doesn't work for me at all.

I do wish they had included the tail fin and the rear wing end-plates to match the Toyota TS040. IF I buy it I will probably have to modify it. Does anybody know if the required pieces in blue are available to fully MOD it to a Toyota colour scheme?

Yep, but the Toyota still has nice curves and areodinamics (I don't like lights at all, but it's my opinion), Lego model instead look like a box...the example of the burger is really close to this model BEFORE/AFTER version :(

I'm searching for better images of first version but without success...I'm thinking to send email to Lego asking for them. The model has been released so I don't think there's any problem if they give away photos of previous version, isn't it?

What the....

They ruined the set. Bleh :(

I'm totally according with you :(

Yep, but the Toyota still has nice curves and areodinamics (I don't like lights at all, but it's my opinion), Lego model instead look like a box...the example of the burger is really close to this model BEFORE/AFTER version :(

I'm searching for better images of first version but without success...I'm thinking to send email to Lego asking for them. The model has been released so I don't think there's any problem if they give away photos of previous version, isn't it?

I agree, it's a little boxy but it's very difficult to create the subtle curves of an LMP1 using technic. I don't mind it I just don't think it's as nice as the R18esque prelim. (Plus I'm and Audi fan.)

I'm totally according with you :(

Hmm... Many of you don't like this 'final design' and prefer the preliminary version. And Lego hasn't taken any action against these photo's even though they've appeared earlier then previous years...

Makes me wonder if these photo's are really the models that will appear in the stores.

You know... If Lego would have at least developed some cool new wheels for this car, I would give them a pass for the design... If they did in fact change the entire car to match some recent vehicle to make it more realistic, then why not use a wheel style that was also realistic..? This flipping of the wheels to show the inside on one model and the outside of another is getting stale...

You know... If Lego would have at least developed some cool new wheels for this car

Wheels are single-use parts. I'd rather see them invent multi-purpose generic parts, like the recent 3 x 5 "dog bone" beam. So I'm glad they don't spend their limited new moulds budget on wheels.

Well, this is disappointing. From the prelim images this was a definite purchase. Now you couldn't pay me to take it. As some have said, this looks like a complete rebuild rather than a modification, and I don't see anything that has changed for the better. Hideous nose, too-tall headlights, boxy cockpit area, square wheel arches, poor rear panelling, and no fin! Lego have certainly dropped the ball on this one. I find it hard to believe that the same designer could be responsible for both versions. Of course we can still design our own MOC instead (or heavily mod the set), but the prelim model would have made for a wonderful set. :(