And yes, stuff like this is why TLG don't want preliminary pictures to be published :laugh:
True, but what if this was done intentionally this year to beta-test and receive feedback before production? There are quite a lot of things that TLG planned to do in 2015H1 Technic models differently. Edited by zux

You always want models to be realistic and I think the second one is more realistic.

EDIT: seems like there is no Shell sponsorship.

Edited by PROlego

And yes, stuff like this is why TLG don't want preliminary pictures to be published :laugh:

In order to make us think so many models suck because they can't do anything better instead of for example make us think they can still make awesome designs but for some corporate dumbness they don't?

I am not sure if that is an improvement....

Probably more so that competitors don't reverse-engineer and market the product first.

You always want models to be realistic and I think the second one is more realistic.

EDIT: seems like there is no Shell sponsorship.

Who really cares if the shape was captured closer to what is the most current real life auto if the model just doesn't look good? And since when does Lego worry about what is realistic when it comes to a non licensed generic model? Look at the hot rod from this year. A V6 engine in a hot rod?

The first image is the better one. Does anyone know which le mans car it's based off? The latest version needs green flex axles as wheel arches, those square lights and the front end need re-working badly. I like the colours but overall I'm dissapointed.

H :wacko:

True, but what if this was done intentionally this year to beta-test and receive feedback before production? There are quite a lot of things that TLG planned to do in 2015H1 Technic models differently.

Hah, I wish that were true in this case.

Probably more so that competitors don't reverse-engineer and market the product first.

Yeah, that's obviously the main reason.

Competitors? Who? The chinese knock offs? Megablocks? I ask because I can't take those seriously. I don't know anyone who actually looks to purchase those...

I reckon Lego Technic does not really have competitors per se.

Well perhaps I can get a chinese knock off of the original design :grin:

Looks like I'll have a spare $120 for something else, oh well. The original image got me going, would have been a nice companion to 42000.

But I will wait for review until I pass final judgement, and maybe see what I can do with the design in LDD for potential MODing

I've counted 43 panels in the set (maybe I'm wrong), isn't that a lot for a set this size? Which is the record amount of panels in a Technic set?

I've counted 43 panels in the set (maybe I'm wrong), isn't that a lot for a set this size? Which is the record amount of panels in a Technic set?

42025 has more

Edit: Checked on BL, it says 50! panels

Edited by zux

It is this inverted : 11458.jpg

I was wondering about this myself, I didn't get the picture to match with the one on the pic.

I'm not so interested in race cars, but this set is a great parts pack, especially for panels.

42025 has more

Edit: Checked on BL, it says 50! panels

I've now counted 47 but 8 of them are wheel arches- as I consider them panels (I think there are two per wheel??)

It looks like 1 per wheel arch to me, but it's not too easy to see it.

Definately two(!) per wheel :classic:

Are the clefts (this is translated with google, I don't know the word, sorry, it may be wrong) in the wheel arch a stickey? The look too "realistic".

Edit: They should be, I don't see LEGO producing two or three different molds for the same part, but the sticker looks too perfect.

Edited by PROlego

I would guess every model goes through a quality cycle that looks like a sine wave. The very first concept model isn't very good because some things do not work quite right or are not strong enough, etc. The second model is optimized by the designer. He fixes all the problems of the concept model and makes it as good as he can. This is probably what is used to make a decision about producing the product. Then the marketing and sales people get involved and make it worse (from a design standpoint) but more profitable. They reduce the number of elements, they reduce the number of colors, they simplify to make it fit into a price point. This will almost always result in a finished product that is less desirable for the adult fan than the previous model because the previous model did not have so many constraints. So I think it is not surprising that we don't like the final model as well as the preliminary picture.

I remember when a bunch of early 8275 designs were shown next to the final product, and some of them were way better (but more expensive).

Those original wheel arches looked a lot better, but it also looks like they weren't supported very well so I can imagine they were not strong. The old arches were also a different color front and rear. The new parts are the same part all the way around the car, so that means fewer elements, and they are also clearly more sturdy.

I'm not sure why they changed the headlights so much. The new lights are so vertical that they would be terrible aerodynamically on a race car. They also changed the front splitter a lot from something that was curved and sculpted to something very square and flat.

I dont think its a sticker as I cant see edges like all the other stickers. The other green stickers do not match the green parts too. They wouldnt produce 2 similar molds, so the 4 inner ones are covered up with stickers.

Then the marketing and sales people get involved and make it worse (from a design standpoint) but more profitable. They reduce the number of elements, they reduce the number of colors...
Somewhere in between they reduced the number of sales too. :sceptic: Sometimes less profit and a bit of trust in the economies of scale are better in the long run.

There are also reviews for playability and buildability keeping in mind the target audience - are the instructions clear, assembly not too complicated, can the model withstand some amount of rought play - all of this may factor more into the final design than the number of parts or the appearance.

I had a good laugh when I saw the two models side by side. I think the main aim of the radical redesign was so that the parts, especially the lights and panels could be used to build a submarine as the B model. :wink:

I like the preliminary version of the model better, they really messed up the front on the new revision of it. Though it will be interesting to see someone put a couple RC motors on there. :devil:

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

I'm pretty sure kids everywhere would prefer to buy the preliminary version.

Well, I think you can't know for sure. I'm sure Lego does research on these things. Afol's wishes are different from children's wishes.