Wheels are single-use parts. I'd rather see them invent multi-purpose generic parts, like the recent 3 x 5 "dog bone" beam. So I'm glad they don't spend their limited new moulds budget on wheels.

Agree. But I also think that we are way overdue for a much better developed wheel...

Dokludi made his Version already. Check his Brickshelf Folder.

@admins: strange, but i can not insert links...after the dialog pops-up, none of the function buttons are alive and react. Is it just for me?

I think 42039 confirmed a trend : a Technic set with regular green parts is bound to be a huge fail. ---oo.gif

8063, 42008, 42039...

I think 42039 confirmed a trend : a Technic set with regular green parts is bound to be a huge fail. ---oo.gif

8063, 42008, 42039...

Even 8479?

If you ask me, I do not appreciate 8479 very much... :)

1400 part set with a nice arm in front, but basically, only 3 functions (arm, dumper, steering).

The pilot system was very messy. But I guess it was a good start for Lego to get into RCX and Mindstorms some years later.

I'm sorry, but are there STICKERS on the INSIDE of the wheels?

Seriously? It's hard putting stickers on the OUTSIDE of a curved piece, where you have plenty of room to maneuver your fingers.

I'm sorry, but are there STICKERS on the INSIDE of the wheels?

Seriously? It's hard putting stickers on the OUTSIDE of a curved piece, where you have plenty of room to maneuver your fingers.

Yeah.. They started that crap 10 years ago with the 8386 set... I think the 42000 set required doing this as well...

They do the best they can to make these sets "Child Friendly" so that they are easy to build, but then make kids add stcikers in places where it is almost impossible to get them straight...

Personally, I cannot stand stickers, especially ones on the body that enhance the model to make it look pretty... Stickers in my opinion are nothing more than a cheap way to try and spruce up a model to help sell it... Then if you want to build the B-model, you have all of these oddball stickers facing in directions that make no sense...

Edited by Paul Boratko

Who puts stickers on Technic sets?

Probably those people who are interested in displaying the model, rather than reusing the parts (and think the model looks better with stickers on).

I mean, who doesn't put stickers on Technic sets? If you're interested in the parts, you can just bricklink them so you don't end up with 5000 superfluous pins, right? ;)

(In case it's not clear, I'm not being very serious here - I buy sets and I don't put stickers on).

But you're making a valid point. I wonder why designers put so many stickers on their models. This wasn't the case ten years ago, at least not in my memory. Are they less capable of producing good models without stickers? If so, why? Are budgets tighter and stickers cheaper? Are customers more demanding and do stickers help?

Aren't real race cars typically covered in their sponsor's stickers?

I used to build scale models and some of them have decal sheets not for the faint of heart. They do help make the scale model look more prototypical. I guess the LEGO designers are trying to do the same thing. What bugs me are LEGO stickers that crack over time. I never had that problem with decals on my scale models.

In any case, the parts don't come pre-stickered. As an adult, you can make the decision to put them on or not. They're not hard to peel off and re-use either.

The prelim model looked better, but the final release looks ok. It's probably the only 1H set I will buy, especially since it has all the green panels.

It looks like the "vents" on the fender pieces are molded, which is kinda a bummer, but still nice to see new panels.

About applying stickers:

Did anyone of you try to apply them with soap water?

You can easely move the sticker around, and when you have it at the right place, you let the soap water dry off.

Try it with stickers you don't need (frames of sticker) If you don't believe...

Race cars definitely need stickers. I like both versions and am looking forward to getting this one and putting it on display. Can't wait to build it. A must have for me.

Race cars definitely need stickers. I like both versions and am looking forward to getting this one and putting it on display. Can't wait to build it. A must have for me.

well....in your opinion!

In my opinion the 42000 looks much better without stickers...

But bytheway I never apply stickers on....

I think logos, numbers, and sponsor stickers on a racecar or any model are fine, but I don't really like full panel stickers that represent shape and transitions of the model. :sceptic:

Another set that I won't be buying unless the B model is a huge improvement in the A model...

Perhaps the prelim picture was of the B-model! :laugh:

The front lights look like the Audi or Peugeot LMP cars, without the clear plexi cover.

Would like to see the old version, but cannot find pics anywhere for comparison... :wacko:

Random thoughts:

The original version seems to have Shell stickers on it.

I have heard rumours that LEGO is listening to Greenpeace, and dumping Shell.

Perhaps the redesign is due to issues with Shell?

Personally, I do prefer the original version. On the other hand, the redesign has 3x11 black panels.

Random thoughts:

Personally, I do prefer the original version. On the other hand, the redesign has 3x11 black panels.

I doubt it.. I think they just threw random stickers on that prelim version.. Plus it wasn't supposed to be viewed by the public...

You can already order those 3 x 11 black panels from Lego.. they were in the Batman UCS Tumbler... Part # 6080356

Edited by Paul Boratko

Random thoughts:

I don't think so :)

Lego decided to ends its partnership with Shell but if on the preliminary model they put Shell stickers the solution was simply to remove them, not redesign the entire model.

At first I though the redesign could be linked to the needs to produce new items for the model (the curved panels on the tires) and so this will introduce too high costs, but they still introduce new items so I really don't know why they changed design so much :(

Better put link to the image, instead of posting the confidential image. It is kinda forbidden to post such images. :classic:

Yeah, stop posting that image please, it makes me feel a bit sad that we're not getting that one :laugh: