Now that we have a better pictures of 42039 Le Mans car, it is time to share some thoughts.

sznkiqJ.jpg

... do I see a rare 19L white flex axle in the front going to the cabin?

I definitely prefer the first version of the car. The nose was so much nicer ... There seems to be yellow shocks in the front right wheel,

so it seems to have a suspension. There is also HOG steering, open-able rear end, some existing parts in new colours, and that's about it ...

Edited by Povratnik

Behind the cab you can see some gray beams including a 3L beam with pin. Behind that you can see ribbed hoses. I presume these are styling for an engine sitting there. Such a car should at the very least have an engine.

Suspension was already spotted, so we have three fnctions - engine, suspension, steering. I presume there is a hood that can open to show the engine. Still, I think this is quite poor for 1200 parts.

But I stil think it's uiglier than the prelim. The monocoque is too wide for such a car, it looks really boxy. Second, the new panels make the wheel cases very large and this makes the wheels look tiny. Another consequence is the headlight sections which are now too tall I think. They should have kept the old panels. If these were too prone to breaking, they should have made them from the same material as flex axles.

I do think the color scheme is an improvement, there is more green and more white, and less black. But the windscreen should have been white - this would already have made the monocoque more streamlined.

I have a feeeling looking at the car: it looks "squashed" ! like if a massive rock fell on it. And as cardesigner i can see the reason why....those flat wheelarches give that impression!

I wonder if I am the only person who think, that this set is going to be only pieces-bag... But it seems as great base for modifications... ;)

Normally, I only collect Star Wars and Middle Earth but I really fell in love with the prelim version of this car. But unfortunately the final model doesn't look good at all! :sick:

Normally, I only collect Star Wars and Middle Earth but I really fell in love with the prelim version of this car. But unfortunately the final model doesn't look good at all! :sick:

For me it is great - new green beam 1 x 11, new green 3 x 11 panel, new green http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=42003 (this part in green is something that I need for several years so I hope that LEGO keeps it)

and what I've learned so far - when you do not like it do not build it, you'll have a lots of parts. You can always modify it to look like this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_919_Hybrid

...but they all are a bit unusual since they are prototypes

;-)

I am wondering since this has suspension if there was an issue with the original more curved pieces above the wheel not holding up if a person pushed down on them, these new parts look like they would be stronger... What really kills this for me is the area around the cockpit that was redesigned...

The wheel wells look a little too square now and I liked the orginal look in the prototype with the headlights...

Edited by Paul Boratko

What really kills this for me is the area around the cockpit that was redesigned...

The wheel wells look a little too square now and I liked the orginal look in the prototype with the headlights...

So, to make it short, you prefer every aspects of the prelim model, like most people here. :laugh:

Hmm, i liked the previous front lights and the curved mud guards more.

And i read in the other thread that they discarded the mud guards because the are ¿ instable ? uh? Couldn't they make a L like structure?

Something like this:

|

Edited by _Cookie_

I wonder if the roof was left open like that so that a lever inside could be moved around for some type of function?

I guess BrinkLink the prelim parts and MOD it for some of you. :laugh: What are the published functions?

However, looking at it again, the rear-view mirrors look interesting The part under the slope looks like something new, in case that I'm not betrayed by my eyes. :D

It is this inverted : 11458.jpg

Already seen in micro SW sets (AT-AT) prelim : 32515472070775075.jpg (plate thickness is kind of wrong on this prelim, but it is definitely the same part)

Guys, think Porsche 919 met Bentley Speed 8 and had rushed sexy time.

I do think that this is a well-made set, only that I think I would have reversed the aesthetic features: 2003-spec front end and cockpit but has a fin like the current LMP1's, not the other way around.

It will be cool building a Martini one with all the green parts in white, some blue panels and red stripes.

I kinda like it, somehow... I don't really hate the changes... much.

But This was way better

The nose, the headlights, even the windshield looked way better, the fin was nice too. Look how the motor cover was perfectly paneled. How the body work perfectly streamlined matched the wheels

Ok I depise it, not because it is bad, I depise it because now I realize how awesome it was for an official set.

I don't like final version very much... the preliminary images we've seen some days ago have a little bit smooth and nice design imho :sceptic:

If I will buy it when it will be available I will try to reproduce the 'preliminary' design I think...

[prelim image removed]

42039-1.jpg

Edited by Jim
Don't post preliminary images!

Omg looking at both side by side makes it so plainly obvious how ugly the new one is. why? why?! :cry3:

Blame the FIA and their 2014 rules that dictated the design of this year's LMP1's.

Yeah, I wanted to refrain from judging the model too much until I saw it with my own eyes, but seeing them side by side shows a pretty drastic difference in the aesthestics department, and not for the better.

Edited by jantjeuh

Blame the FIA and their 2014 rules that dictated the design of this year's LMP1's.

Who says TLG has to follow FIA's rules... The old version is really sleek, the new one looks...retarded...

I don't see any trademarks or licensed logos on it. Lego could have done whatever they wanted. This model looks like it was completed and then rushed to change it into something else at the last minute. I love the colors, but this is not a pretty looking model.

Looking at the pictures on the two boxes, there is no question as to which one would have attracted more potential buyers. This new version looks like some type of aquatic sea life with those dishes for headlights.

Hopefully the "B" model is what the A model originally looked like. :laugh:

That's what is puzzling really. Why would they go for such a radical re-design if the original looked so much better? Did it look too similar to an existing model? Were there build quality issues? I'm pretty sure kids everywhere would prefer to buy the preliminary version.

And yes, stuff like this is why TLG don't want preliminary pictures to be published :laugh:

Edited by jantjeuh