Bonaparte

[LIBRARY] Sails

I am going to make some nice custom sails for my Skull's Eye Schooner and just wondered what colours did actual ships have their sails? i was just going to make the obvious white but was thinking black may look good but i want it to be realistic at the same time, so were there any ships with black sails?

I don't think black sails are very realistic.

I'm making some sails myself at this moment and I'm using Evil Willy's manual as a guideline. White cotton in a bath of coffee to get the right "sail color" :-D

However, I'm using the "Captain Green Hair method" for attaching the sails.

Here's a typical sail color:

le-protecteur-detail.jpg

Also i really need a scan template for the 24 x 25 big sail on my Skull's Eye Schooner which is the same size as the ones with the crossed cannons on the 6271 Imperial Flagship and was wondering if anyone has a full size scan that i could use as a template for the right size for my custom sail?

I can't make a scan because I don't have a scanner...

Buuuut, check our sail library ;-)

I got everything you want and more...

Woah thats great i had no idea that library was there, thanks!

I think i will just stick to white then, to be honest black looks a bit too evil and stuff too and my pirates on my SES ain't all that bad X-D

EDIT: The only problem is that those scans aren't 1:1, do you know anywhere that has them to scale?

Edited by Peg Leg Pascoe

EDIT: The only problem is that those scans aren't 1:1, do you know anywhere that has them to scale?

Peg Leg Pascoe,

I'm assuming you're talking about the SES sails.

Which ones aren't 1:1?

I contributed most of the SES sails, and I can check them out and rescan them and stuff.

P

Edited by phred

I usually go with light tan fabric or scrapbook paper (thicker).

my 2 cents X-D

I replied to this post in the sail library thread.

P

I don't think black sails are very realistic.

Did you let the designers of the Black Pearl know this? X-D

Do you lads think it's worth merging this thread with the Sails Library thread?

Yep, natural tones would be best. In fact if you can pick up some material called 'Calico' it would be great though it might be a bit thick. Even Lego themselves wanted to go with the natural canvass look when one considers The Sea Lion.... known to most as the Imperial Flag Ship.

It was originally known to me as The Sea Lion...

But you are indeed educated sir.

I think this is a case of the British catalogues versus the rest of the world. Most mine was bought in either England or SA so I can't recall which catalogue was which though I tend to think the sets in SA were imported so it's hard work regarding the titles. To me ITP will always be Port Royal too and the BSB was always The Dark Shark.

Peg Leg Pascoe,

I'm assuming you're talking about the SES sails.

Which ones aren't 1:1?

I contributed most of the SES sails, and I can check them out and rescan them and stuff.

P

Its the big main one with a skull and crossbones on it, if you could rescan it as 1:1 scale that would be great *sweet*

Its the big main one with a skull and crossbones on it, if you could rescan it as 1:1 scale that would be great *sweet*

Here you go matey! ;-)

sailbb31.png_thumb.jpg

There's just one problem with this sail. There's a drop of blue paint on the teeth of the skull in the sail :'-(

My mom didn't cover up my lego ships when she painted my room a long time ago. |-/

It should work for now until someone's able to make a scan.

If anyone has this sail please scan it 1:1 so i can replace this one.

P

Edited by phred

There's just one problem with this sail. There's a drop of blue paint on the teeth of the skull in the sail :'-(

My mom didn't cover up my lego ships when she painted my room a long time ago. |-/

It should work for now until someone's able to make a scan.

If anyone has this sail please scan it 1:1 so i can replace this one.

I don't have a scanner to scan the sail, but I do have Paint Shop Pro.

Here is a version of your scan where I removed the blue paint.

sailbb31.png_thumb.jpg

There are lots of other canvas flags and the like in castle sets...especially for the Lions...

A nice sail with corresponding flag:

x95px1.jpgx58px1.jpg

And 2 flags for the Royal Knights:

x376px6.1092232929.jpgx560px1.1092233135.jpg

And for the Bulls and Bats:

x376px3.jpgx376px2.jpg

These would all be great for custom ships...but I don't know if they belong here because they were never used in official ships...

There are lots of other canvas flags and the like in castle sets...especially for the Lions...

A nice sail with corresponding flag:

-snip-

And 2 flags for the Royal Knights:

-snip-

And for the Bulls and Bats:

-snip-

These would all be great for custom ships...but I don't know if they belong here because they were never used in official ships...

There already is a Dragon Knights Flag in the Index.

I don't see a problem adding on to the Misc. section. ;-)

So if ppl have these, feel free to post them. *y*

If we do get most of the castle canvas flags and sail, may have to make a Library of Sails in castle too and place the correct sails in that Library.

P

Phredit:

I don't have a scanner to scan the sail, but I do have Paint Shop Pro.

Here is a version of your scan where I removed the blue paint.

sailbb31.png_thumb.jpg

That looks awesome B! 8-

Edited by phred

can you print this and put it on a ship? I mean, is it the same scale or bigger? (I measured it by putting my Barracudas sail against the picture of it on this and it's too big)

can you print this and put it on a ship? I mean, is it the same scale or bigger? (I measured it by putting my Barracudas sail against the picture of it on this and it's too big)

These are 1:1 scans normally.

When I opened some of these in the past with Paint Shop Pro (not free) and then print, they were a perfect match.

But opening with some other program and printing them changed the size in my case *wacko*

Let's hope someone can explain how to best print them without changing the size.

These are 1:1 scans normally.

When I opened some of these in the past with Paint Shop Pro (not free) and then print, they were a perfect match.

But opening with some other program and printing them changed the size in my case *wacko*

Let's hope someone can explain how to best print them without changing the size.

I got different sizes of the BSB flags too when i printed them at school.

But that doesn't mean much cause there isn't any type of photo software at school.

Although the sail that i scanned seem to be ok.

I can scan my other BSB sail if you'd like Axle.

P

Uh, do you have the right widths and things i need to use to get the right size printed, Phred?

Like, one for the proper size in inches of the Jib sail, lower main sail and top sail? And maybe even the huge sail on the SKE?

Edited by Axle

Hi! Could someone have a red beard runner sails scan at 1:1 ? because I' cant find it anywhere , It is at brickshelf- http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=263354 but the scale isn't good and I don't know what is a real size of sails so I can't resize it

Sure, just check the first post of this thread :pir-wink:

There was a small problem with some of the links, but I've fixed that now.

Sure, just check the first post of this thread :pir-wink:

I' have seen that post earlier but the image links were broken, now everything is working, thanks!!

Hello Pirate dudes. This seemed like the best place to ask this question. I'm in the states. Keep that in mind when you answer.

Where can I find the best/Closest canvas for making sails, capes, and for me dragon wings? I thoght about bricklink for triangular shaped sails and use them for the wings but wanted solid colors. I've tried Frabic/Hobby stores in my area,but nothing is stiff enough for the job.

I would try fabric stores again or try other ones. My local store had "heavy canvas" (or something like that) which was sturdy and the right color. Make sure you pick up some anti-fraying liquid to put on the sail edges before you cut. Without something to stop fraying, your sail fabric will fall apart.

Here's a pic of the sails I made:

geisha21.png

A little crinkly but good color and texture and stiffness.

Edited by Wes

Here we go, Captain Kragg's Sail!

saisan.jpg_thumb.jpg

It's to the same scale as Phred's BSB jib sail.

Now the classic index is complete (I actually have some of those cloth flags, so I could scan those), but we need the Pirates II index!

We need -

The full set of sails from 6243 Brickbeard's Bounty:

a-boxfront.jpg

The imperial flag from 6242 Soldiers' Fort:

p1000705.jpg

The pirate flag from 6253 Shipweck Hideout (the BBB actually contains this, so it's not too important):

01box1.jpg

Any takers? :pir-sweet:

The past couple of weeks I've been working on an "imperial ship," and I have a question pertaining to cloth sails.

Is there any type of paper that I can print a decal form the computer onto, and then iron this "decaled" paper onto a piece of cloth?

Thanks,

pat

P.S. I've had my display name changed from Xpatriot720X to patriot720 :pir_laugh2:

At most electronics and hobby shops you can find a kind of paper called "transfer paper." It is primarily used far taking designs from a computer and putting them onto a t-shirt. I think this would be the ideal option for you. Be sure to read the instructions on the package as it can be kind of tricky if you have never used it before.