cimddwc

Matt's Masks - a modularized Simpsons house

Hi everyone,

in it's original state, the Simpsons house (71006) doesn't fit well with the modular buildings, but I still wanted to put it in my town, so I modified it accordingly, keeping the main features like the main windows, the studded brown roof, and the interior. And making it not too fancy... Also I added a shop for funny masks, i.e. the odd-shaped Simpsons figure heads:

15356432906_ba400fc54b_z.jpg

On the street in front of the shop:

15192757210_a9fc7c5bc3_z.jpg

One guy trying on a Homer mask, and the mask manufacturer's salesman, just leaving the shop, always wears a Ned mask, scaring the guy in the front.

Looking through the window, we see Matt, the owner of the shop, in the middle behind the counter:

15192858758_14bac037ca_z.jpg

The workman in the front is removing damaged parts from the wall in order to repair it later - or in other words: I couldn't find a second dark tan 2x1x3 slope brick. :)

Inside: Lots of masks (and sone full costumes) on offer:

15192698189_ca184fb618_z.jpg

The interior of the upper floors is almost exactly like in the original set:

15379130862_09c14aa8f2.jpg 15192697949_82b852f69c.jpg

I just added the missing fridge and shortened the couch so it doesn't block the entrance under the stairs.

(And forgot the kitchen chairs in the photo.)

Back side:

15192936537_fd547fa789_z.jpg

ยป Flickr album

Hope you like it...

That a fantastic conversion job there cimddwc!

I really like the facade - plenty of interesting bits and pieces and I especially like the use of those 1 x 2 plates that overlap the arch. The arched roof structure just looks perfect. Good job with the interior and I like the solution for the missing brick on the front. :classic:

Heck, the whole thing's awesome.

Thanks, everyone!

Yes, there were many extra bricks needed especially for the ground floor - otherwise you only got the garage parts from the set. And of course all the decorative elements like headlight bricks and dark tan tiles on the corners, etc.

And of course I chose the name Matt because of Mr Groening. Unfortunately I didn't find a better minifig haircut for him...

And of course I chose the name Matt because of Mr Groening. Unfortunately I didn't find a better minifig haircut for him...

Instantly recognisable for me! Face is spot on.

Great model - like you I want the set but it doesn't really fit with the modular style of my other buildings, so this has given me a few ideas and a reason to spend the ยฃ180! ;)

Pretty incredible, love the fact that you still get the Simpsons vibe from the architecture.

I really like that studded roof for some reason. I love the slopes the Modular series brings, but there is something very appealing of the studded roof on this particular modular.

The details are nice. I don't love the brick wall on the back personally. But I don't love giant facades using the masonry bricks. Something feels off with it, I don't know why.

Keep up the great work. I'm sure I'll pick this set up eventually.

This is yet another fantastic modular. I really like the fact that his modular building is recognizable as a building based on the Simpsonโ€™s house yet it has a different design. The colour scheme looks great, specially the back side with less details. Contrary to the calm and neutral details on the outside, the inside just pops with colours. And it makes me want my copy of the Simpsonโ€™s house to do something similar.

Just wondering - since I admire pretty much all of the buildings you posted so far: Do you plan your buildings ahead in something like LDD, or do you just sit down and build away?

Great job. Really like the details and texturing on the front facade. Similar idea to the guy who used the Krusty heads as masks for his bankrobbers. Great way to reclaim and lego-ise the Simpsons figs which never felt like proper lego to me.

Totally brilliant! Would never thought to use the Simpson heads as masks. It works really well.

Maybe you could expand the shop with a Chima one next door...