Sign in to follow this  
ZCerberus

REVIEW: The Battle of the Five Armies

15351077861_11cda4a3f9_c.jpg

Perhaps the most anticipated set of the third Hobbit wave has found its way to EB and here it is, set 79017, "The Battle of the Five Armies". I obtained this set "in the wild" at ToysR'Us in the United States.

A note about the set name- it appears to be printed on the box as "The Battle of Five Armies" while I see it referred to in multiple online sources as "The Battle of the Five Armies". Since the name is also trademarked on the box, I believe it should have been title "The Battle of the Five Armies" to match the name of the movie, so I am going to go with that name.

Since I am primarily a MOCer, I will discuss some of the interesting pieces in the set, but I did not bother to line up every single piece in each bag as I did not find the piece selection especially compelling- and let's be honest here- if you're buying this set, you are primarily in it for the minifigures.

Basic info of the set

Set no.: 79017

Name: The Battle of Five Armies

Theme: The Hobbit

Year: 2014

Pieces: 472

Minifigs: 7 + Molded Eagle

Age group: 8-14

Price: US$ 59.99

Price per part: US$ 0.127

The Box:

The third Hobbit wave and third Hobbit movie are subtitled "The Battle of the Five Armies". The box art for The Battle of the Five Armies sets all contain a beautiful emerald green color that I find to be one of the best looking schemes in recent memory.

The front of the box provides a nice overview of the set and also shows two of the play features of the set- the firing ballista and an exploding wall.

15167741507_edf7874920_c.jpg

The back of the box shows the play features again as well as a few nice shots of the Orcs and Eagle in action. Again, because I love to build MOCs, I still find myself missing the old "alternate model" ideas on the back of the box. With all the licensed themes driving sales these days, perhaps it isn't surprising that play features and showing the potential display value of the models are more important than showing what the bricks can do. I always find myself a bit miffed when my 6 and 8 year old niece and nephews are only interested in building the sets and putting the pieces where they "should" go. Perhaps I need them to watch the LEGO movie again so they understand being a "master builder" doesn't mean being really good at following the instruction booklet. Okay, off my soap box and back to the set.

15351079401_497b7566a8_c.jpg

The back of the box also displays the weapons available in the set. Another frustration with the new school here. When I was a young lad, there seemingly would have been twice as many in a set this size, but it is a bit atypical with modern sets that there are actually more weapons than figures here. I do not know that I understand why Dain's axe is translucent red, it may make sense within the confines of the film, but as a MOCer I actually don't mind. I have dozens of steel colored axe heads but only these in trans red. I also like Thorin's pearl gold short sword, a nice weapon for sure.

15167690188_d2f3f7ee31_c.jpg

The top of the box displays the 7 figures and molded creature contained in the set along with the names of each character. As is typical with all current LEGO sets, the box tells is the figures/pieces on the top of the box are to scale.

15354265145_2278882558_c.jpg

Inside the box there are 3 numbered bags, a baggie containing the molded eagle and two instruction manuals. The manuals contain the exact same printing on the front cover. This set contains no stickers and has no printed parts of any sort.

15167505909_d7930908ac_c.jpg

The Build:

Bag 1:

Along with the obligatory brick separator on sets of a certain price point, bag 1 contains four figures and the pieces to build the Orcish ballista. The instructions also tell you to assemble Gwaihir, the molded Eagle, though he is contained in a separate baggie apart from bag 1.

The Orcish ballista has a very evil and sinister vibe. The color scheme matches that of other Orcish weapons we have seen in other Hobbit and Lord of the Rings sets featuring reddish brown, dark brown and dark red.

15353950042_eb9e7f392d_c.jpg

The build is pleasant and uses a few nice build techniques and pieces. I especially like the use of the "A-frame" pies as supports on each side. The ballista fires by quickly rotating the black gear in the center. The firing action leaves much to be desired, but it is almost a necessary play feature in today's play feature centric world.

15351084491_7ac73a8fcd_c.jpg

Bag 1 actually contains the most interesting parts, in my opinion, of the whole set. You get four 1 x 2 reddish brown bow curves, three of the tan 3/4 pins (great for making candles in your MOCs), two 1 x 2 reddish brown modified slope, two black "A-frames" and five dark brown 1 x 2 tiles. The long "horn" pieces (not pictured) on each side representing the "bow" of the ballista are not new, they have been in some other sets before including Hero Factory. I find their scale to be hard to work with in minifigure scale, but I think they look good here.

15167747637_a08b253bf5_c.jpg

The four figures in bag 1 are Bard the Bowman, Legolas Greenleaf and two Gundabad Orc warriors. Bard looks sharp in his new blue and chain mailed outfit, but Legolas is the same as he was in the Mirkwood Spiders set. Is it just me, or does the Bard figure look a ton like he could sub in for Will turner in the Pirates of the Caribbean line? It is kind of a funny thought since the actor who played Will turner, Orlando Bloom, plays Legolas, the minifigure to the right of Bard. I am slightly dissappointed that the Bard figure is showing some flesh in the neckline. We had heard none of the elves in the Mirkwood set showed flesh so they could be recycled into generic "yellow" figures and this was done intentionally for the fans. Perhaps that philosophy only applies to generic characters and not named guys like Bard. Though Legolas is the same figure from the Escape From Mirkwood Spiders set, he doesn't contain exposed flesh and I like the pearl gold arms. The Orcs' face printing is actually new and is slightly different from the Orcs' prints in the second Hobbit wave, though the torsos and legs appear to be identical.

15331243136_115ca328e1_c.jpg

Back printing on all four figures, but the Orcs have hair printed on the back while Bard and Legolas have alternate faces.

15351083151_74a5e7de8c_c.jpg

Bag 1 also tells you to build Gwaihir, though he is contained in a separate baggie. In case you were concerned that he looked identical to the eagles in prior sets, fear not! He has a little extra dark brown printing on the back of his neck to differentiate him from the "generic" eagles of other sets, though as far as I could tell, it was the only difference.

15167749877_a58df59b50_c.jpg

Bag 2:

The second bag contains the pieces to build a little bridge that connects to the tower in bag 3. Bag 2 also contains three figures which we will discuss below. They really are the stars of this set, so we will spend most of our time on them.

The bridge itself is not terribly exciting and has no interesting parts to speak of.

15167693308_115b0efcd2_c.jpg

The bridge does contain a play feature, allowing it to explode if you press down on the sand green tile.

15167506209_80a6e0f006_c.jpg

Of course bag 2 is probably the bag you will most wish to dig into as it has the three major minifigures you were after when you bought this set, Azog, Thorin Oakenshield and Dain Ironfoot. I will discuss each figure separately since they are the stars of the show here.

15331239886_127b1c8428_c.jpg

Azog, the "Pale Orc" is perhaps less of a draw here as he was in the previous wave in the Dol Guldur Battle set.

15351083321_6a725094cc_c.jpg

Rest assured that LEGO can call him all new as he does have a slightly different facial expression than he did in the previous wave. Here is the new Pale Orc on the left compared to the previous wave Orc on the right. The back printing is unremarkable and identical to the previous figure so no need for a picture.

15167748697_ce2348e77e_c.jpg

Thorin is decked out with a new crown in his hair mold and some swank new black and gold armor. His face printing looks great and I love the hair with crown piece. I am also happy to report no fleshy outcroppings here so the torso is appropriate for yellow purists.

15167505449_3d8ddc799b_c.jpg

Back printing and alternate facial expression. The printing on the hair looks excellent as well.

15167741227_f9bf0016f9_c.jpg

The figure that is the most anticipated out of this set has to be Dain Ironfoot. Again, yellow purists rejoice- no flesh color pieces on the torso. I am especially fond of the pearl silver arms and sharp torso printing. I have heard the question asked if the plume on Dain's helmet is removable and the answer is no, it is not.

15167689278_f9cccbfa6d_c.jpg

Here is Dain sans beard and helmet for your viewing pleasure. I like the shape and size of the beard piece and I will certainly be using it in a MOC sometime soon. His face is quite expressive so it could easily be recycled by fleshy fans in other MOCs.

15167743357_d93b78a6cf_c.jpg

Back printing and alternate expression.

15354263595_608db8fa48_c.jpg

Bag 3:

The third bag contains the pieces to build a crumbling, beat-up tower. Though I do not know all the Hobbit lore, the coloration of the tower makes me think this battle is taking place in Dale in the winter. The third bag contains no figures, but has a couple of interesting elements to discuss. I like the color combination of the dark red roof and the tan, but I do not belive any of the roof pieces are new as I have seen most, if not all, of them in the Harry Potter "The Burrow" set.

The tower itself looks nice and has an exploding balcony play feature.

15167510139_2c1dde1bf2_c.jpg

15351080921_5fe5c6c728_c.jpg

The exploding wall feature here is actually several sections, which is nice, but also takes a bit more force to cause explostion than most play features. You can determine if that is good or bad, but the extra force required to break the clutch power of the bricks does mean the explosion is a bit more... er... "explosive" when the bricks finally pop.

15167509589_49ca22b6e9_c.jpg

There are a few elements of interest that I indentified as new in color or rare enough to take notice. There are two of the decorative arch pieces in tan (I have previously only seen them in white or black), two 1 x 3 dark tan tiles and two latticed windows (thick tab) in reddish brown. They are all welcomed color variations to me, though I wish there were more or the windows and tiles in this set.

15353947502_c241661a3f_c.jpg

Bonus complete set shot:

15358826511_2c77e2f5b1_c.jpg

Scoring:

Display/build factor: 6 out of 10

Nothing special in terms of techniques and while I do believe the ballista looks sharp, the overall display value feels fairly low.

Playability/fun factor: 6 out of 10

The play functions are okay, though I wish the shooting function on the ballista launched the missiles farther. The tiles ability to pop the wall sections work, but there is nothing new or innovative about it. I doubt play will be a big draw for this set.

Brick selection: 5 out of 10

From a MOCers perspective, I can't say I'm impressed. I like the brown bits in the ballista and a few pieces of the tower, but certainly not enough "desirable" parts or quantity of rare parts given the price to recommend the set as a parts pack.

Minifigures: 10 out of 10

Though I much would have liked to have Bolg than another Azog (perhaps Bolg is dead and gone by this point of the film) the real draw to this set is the minifigures. I thought Dain and Thorin were sharp, good looking figures and the new Bard torso print is great as well. While Azog might not be as welcome as Bolg would have been, it is still a cool figure with some nice molding. While the Orcs aren't completely new, a little variation in the Orcish ranks face prints is nice. The addition of a repeat Legolas is disappointing, but tolerable given the other figures. I doubt many will care that Gwaihir is slightly different than the generic eagles we have already seen, but for those who wanted "the" eagle, rejoice in the fact that LEGO took the time to differentiate the printing, no matter how slight. From a MOCers perspective, the torsos are varied enough and the price is high enough that despite the sets name, this is likely not an "army builder" type set.

Value: 8 out of 10

The price to parts ratio isn't good at 12.7 cents a brick, but again, if we're being honest, we're picking this set up for the minifigures. Taking into account Azog, Thorin and Dain will likely fetch at minimum $12-15 a piece on bricklink and maybe even another $5-7 for Bard, we would have to spend at least $40 on Bricklink to collect the major figures in this set, but I suspect those prices will be on the low side, especially when the set comes out. For an extra $10-20 then you can buy the set and get Legolas, two Orcs, and Eagle and 400 some odd bricks in decent Earth-tone colors. That is a pretty good deal if you ask me. The number of figures and their desirability easily offsets the "pure" price to parts ratio here and I believe the set represents a good value.

Final score: 35/50

Conclusion:

Despite the low score, I would recommend this set based on the minifigure and "value" scores handed out above. The minifigures are too varied and the set likely too high priced to be an army builder candidate, the set is too expensive and the rare bricks too few to be a parts pack, the play and display features are nothing to write home about, but if you are going after this set for the minifigures, you'll be pleased. From a MOCers perspective, you get some great figures that would fetch a high price on Bricklink and for the extra cash you'll get some solid, if not rare earth-tone parts to use in your MOCs. I would therefore recommend this set, but I probably wouldn't recommend buying multiples.

Your thoughts?

Great review, thanks. This set looks like a must buy for me, as I am a huge LOTR/Hobbit fan. The Dain figure could possible be bought in bulk to army build Iron Hill dwarves.

Thanks for the review...I will probably buy this set in the end but most likely as the last one. I still dont like the ballista and also the translucent axe (both the red one in this set and the green one in The Lonely Mountain).

Another fine review. :thumbup:

I was really looking forward to this set and still want to get it, but I wish it were a little less expensive, though. :hmpf_bad:

Great review, thanks!!

At first I did'nt like that set, but now I changed my mind... I'll put a brown hood on Legolas (I already have the one from Mirkwood Spiders, so I'll turn him into a generic elf ranger), the dwarves are perfect and loved the Bard minifig..

It's a good piece selection (this one I don't think I will use for display...)

Nice review Z of what is otherwise just another fairly expensive and wholly uninspired Hobbit set by TLG.

Thanks for the review. Definitely worth getting. I am buying it for the reasons above -- minifigures, pieces. I won't buy multiples, but mostly because I don't have unlimited money. I don't care to amass an Iron Hill army, although if LEGO offered a battle pack for them, I would have definitely done so.

The figures look great here. I prefer Licensed skin tones, so the non-crossover for yellow doesn't bother me. I'm usually more upset about yellow ruining it for Licensed skin tone.

I was actually wanting another Legolas in this outfit, so that works out for me. One Azog is enough for me, so that might offset the cost a bit if I sell him.

Thanks for that, now i can finally say, thanks but no thanks for this set.... 100% pass as is the 2nd biggest Lake Town add on :)

Thanks for the great review. The set is nice and not as bad as expected but one of these Iron Hill dwarves would have been great. But I know...another mold :rolleyes:

I don't mind the translucent axes (tho I hope they're explained a little in the film), as they can easily be paired with matching translucent bars (or any other bars) to become enchanted axes, crystal axes, etc... one of my dwarves is sporting an ice-axe with the translucent blue axe heads & a Luke saber blade.

Those tan arches look like they'd be useful in many MOCs, particularly Elven (Rivendell or not). Price seems high, so I'll probably wait for a decent sale (especially if I pick up an extra copy)... Great review!

Nice and thorough review, ZC. But while the structure actually looks pretty good, and you did highlight some interesting parts, This isnt a set one would immediately rush out to get. Im also irked about Brds fleshie triangle, as well as the non-removable crest on Dains helmet.

Pass.

I still don´t understand TLC decisions in LotR/Hobbit themes. If they made the plume on Dain´s helmet removable, the sales will be much higher, IMHO. And why they don´t use that new orcish armor piece from the second wave? Anyway, It´s nice set with excellent minifigures (except Legolas). And that new ballista looks good for my Isengard army. Thank you for the review!

Excellent review, but mediocre set. Of the four in the wave, this is my last priority. Totally agree that the main reason someone would buy this is for the minifigs. Even among the minifigs, there are only two or three that stand out to me. Dain is the obvious star of the show. He looks good, but it is a shame that the plume is not removable. If Dain is the only one in the movie with a red plumeor mohawk, then that just made the army builder potential for Iron Hill Dwarves a difficult challenge. A setup using that helmet would be an expensive proposition on Bricklink since it only exists in this set. Thorin looks good with the crown, although I still wish he would have come in the Lonely Mountain set and give up his slot here for the sake of an Iron Hill dwarf. (Yeah, I know, the ship has sailed) Likewise, I wish Bard in this outfit would have been allocated to Lake Town and given his slot to a generic or other named Lake Town citizen. Azog is OK, but the difference is small enough from the Dol Guldur set that I could live without having both versions. Yes, I know he and Thorin will factor big in BOFA, then again Smaug factors big in Lake Town, but where is he in that set? I was hoping for Bolg, but in the back of my mind, kind of knew they would rehash Azog. The two orcs were expected, so no surprises. Legolas is the elephant in the room, as I would have to imagine that Thranduils role in BOFA is crucial, much more than his son. A generic elf soldier would have been met with equal satisfaction as Thranduil. Of course, PJ could have significantly altered the story where Legolas somehow saves the day and Lego knows something that we do not. Maybe he pulls out one arrow so sharp that it shoots through Bolg, Azog, the Necromancer, the Witch King, and Smaug in one shot. </sarcasm> Giving the set a 10/10 based on minifigs is generous IMO with this particular lineup. The ruins are average, not particularly good, but not particularly bad either. Some of the parts could be useful for other projects. With the likelihood that Dain, Thorin, and Bard will likely fetch a decent price on Bricklink, I might decide to buy one set for a few extra parts, but will not make up my mind until the other three are acquired.

Again, great review!

Giving the set a 10/10 based on minifigs is generous IMO with this particular lineup.

I agree, I would have preferred a different selection- but based on what we WERE given- we have 4 figures that are "new" and look great (Azog (sort of), Thorin, Dain, and Bard) and two new Orc face prints. That means 6 of the 7 figures are new and worth getting. It felt like a 10 to me.

Thanks for the review - it tells us and shows us pretty much everything we could want to know about the set. It's too expensive for me for what it offers and when it comes to it, there's just not that much that grabs me about it. The building is fine but forgettable, the catapult is enormous but unexciting, and I'm not that fussed about the minifigs. I like Dain, but one of the things that defines him is that he's the king of a load of dour and grim dwarves from the Iron Hills, so having him on his own is a bit of a let down. It's like getting Theoden without any Rohirrim, or Aragorn in his Gondor gear without any Gondorians.... So I'll pass on this and spend my cash on Smaug and the Witch King sets.

Thanks for the good review!

I had originally planned on getting this set, but after this review I think I'll pass. The set simply has too little going for it and is mediocre at best for someone who's not all that into the figures.

About the issue of why Dain would have a trans-red axe, I finally got to my copy of TLotR, and buried in the part on Durin's Folk in Appendix A, I found these sentences:

Up the steps after him /Azog/ leaped a Dwarf with a red axe. It was Dáin Ironfoot, Náin's son.

We can see PJ & co really milked the appendices for every obscure little detail!

As for Dains helmet, I guess the designers thought the extra sales from a helmet with a removable plume wouldnt balance the costs of making an extra mold for the plume.

Edited by Ardelon