Some time ago i started toying around with the idea of building a LEGO sailboat. After watching a video of Sariel where he mentioned doing it with LEGO-sails, I really started thinking about the approach i'd take. Building a LEGO sailboat is not as easy as you might think because LEGO hulls leave a lot to be desired, weight is obviously a crucial factor and if you want to go for performance, then there are a lot of stresses the build needs to handle. Also, LEGO does not make sails that offer the performance i was looking for, so i had to make those myself. Purist may not like my MOC because of the amount of non-LEGO parts (rigging and sails), but I am mostly interested in performance. And perform it surely does, the MOC took its maiden voyage yesterday with a stiff breeze in open water and it performed beautifully, good speed, stability and sailing close hauled was no problem. Unfortunately I wasn't able to film it, as controlling the boat especially with the high wind took all my focus. And there was a huge problem, which i had feared before hand. The range of the PF remote outdoors was really poor, only 2-3 meter which was not near enough to properly control the boat. So i am desperately waiting for either the SBrick or somesuch to become available so i can make a proper video. The functions of the MOC are: two remote controlled rudders and a remote controlled sheet for the mainsail. The jib is self-tacking. There are still quite a lot of improvements i am planning to make, so far is was mostly a proof of concept.

15173702358_f11f712b41_z.jpg

15337299076_f07cfdc4ae_z.jpg

15173594440_f8b97ff213_z.jpg

The link offers a small video of the main RC functions.

sheet and rudder operation
Edited by Kelkschiz

wow. amazing! while I am still considering to get a city arctic set 60062 or not, your MOC really attracted me to try one! I don't know how much friction will there be under water, but some technic panels for the rudder blade eg, #64682 , may feel more secure. Just my two cents :classic:

wow. amazing! while I am still considering to get a city arctic set 60062 or not, your MOC really attracted me to try one! I don't know how much friction will there be under water, but some technic panels for the rudder blade eg, #64682 , may feel more secure. Just my two cents :classic:

Choosing the panel for the rudder and how to attach it was pure hell. The technic panels are either too thick or curved but offer a strong connection, the normal LEGO plates are thin and flat but the connection leaves something to be desired. In the end i decided a plate connected to 2x2 technic holes was a strong enough connection. But i totally agree with your sentiment, the connection could/should be stronger.

I always love to see ships, even they are sail ships :laugh: .

Ships... I thought you preferred overgrown bathtubs with equally overgrown engines. A real ship has sails :laugh:

Edited by Kelkschiz

Looks lovely! How is the stability looking at the moment? The mast seems really massive, I feat it will make it top-heavy.

Looks lovely! How is the stability looking at the moment? The mast seems really massive, I feat it will make it top-heavy.

Well yesterday we had 17-27 knots of wind which is quite a lot and despite that the base remained nice and level. However the mast needs some more support, especially the top part. I am planning to add a typical spreader two-thirds of the way up and second set of rigging running all the way to the top of the mast. I looked and different ways to construct a mast out of Technic LEGO. This seemed the way that offered the most strength at the least weight. Anything less strong won't do. Do you have any ideas on how to reduce the weight but keep the strength?

Do you have any ideas on how to reduce the weight but keep the strength?

I see you are using Technic liftarms/beams. I wonder if Technic bricks would be better? You won't reduce weight with these, but could increase strenght.

I see you are using Technic liftarms/beams. I wonder if Technic bricks would be better? You won't reduce weight with these, but could increase strenght.

You are absolutely correct that the techbeams would provide more strength but they would also be a bit heavier and bulkier, i am not sure yet if i like that trade-off, but it's certainly something to keep in mind.

Looks great! Being a sailor and sailboat enthusiast, I can't wait to see these pictures on a bigger screen than my phone! Also; hope to see a proper video soon!:-)

Ships... I thought you preferred overgrown bathtubs with equally overgrown engines. A real ship has sails :laugh:

Hear hear!! :thumbup::laugh:

Edited by D3K

Is there any weight added to those side hulls (don't know what exactly are they called), or is it wide enough so that the wind can't overturn it? It looks very cool. And BIG! How tall is it?

Is there any weight added to those side hulls (don't know what exactly are they called), or is it wide enough so that the wind can't overturn it? It looks very cool. And BIG! How tall is it?

So far i'd say no extra weight is needed on the side-hulls, the boat already is quite heavy, 2,4kg, most of that weight is keeping it from capsizing. The boat is quite large, easily my most voluminous LEGO creation so far, it's 117cm tall, 83cm long and 50cm wide.

When I just shaw the picture I was like WOW! That looks so elegant and awesome, even if its not 100% finished/working yet. Its a really uniqued model! I suggest you to use RC system , or Sbrick for these kinds of long control distances.

When I just shaw the picture I was like WOW! That looks so elegant and awesome, even if its not 100% finished/working yet. Its a really uniqued model! I suggest you to use RC system , or Sbrick for these kinds of long control distances.

Thanks! Yeah i know, i really need an SBrick for this MOC, can't wait to get it, fully enjoy my boat and make a video about it.

OK, that's honestly pretty epic. like everyone I'd love to see her sail. Now i have to wonder about the feasibility of a mono hull, particularly a square rigger.

OK, that's honestly pretty epic. like everyone I'd love to see her sail. Now i have to wonder about the feasibility of a mono hull, particularly a square rigger.

Thanks Kurigan!

Concerning the monohulls it's an inspiring idea, I think the main problem with a square rigger monohull will be weight. I found out that LEGO is pretty heavy for constructions where weight and strength are crucial factors, and as opposed to a cat- or trimaran, a monohull pretty much requires a counterweight under the waterline, which significantly increases an already heavy structure. Another problem which is related is that monohulls tend to list when the wind is not coming roughly from the stern. this becomes a problem when you look at the big modern plastic hulls TLG is making nowadays, they are not watertight at the top, so if water gets over the shipboard it basically starts sinking. The old style hulls don't have this problem, but they are pretty small, with those remote controlling wouldn't be an option.