Sign in to follow this  
de Gothia

HSS Laborers: Mining in Sionnach

The landscape of Benoic is green rolling countryside lacking of mountains. Iron ore is imported from Mitgardia to make weapons. However iron ore is still common in Benoic as well. In small oligotrophic lakes in Benoic bog iron ore or limonite can be found. In autumn and winter when the farming works is sparse the peasants go out to the lakes to collect it. With these iron ore the city of Sionnach makes tools and other stuff used in the daily life of Benoic.

15354698951_9eec3349be.jpg

15354701851_a5c5350015.jpg

First the iron is collected from the bottom of the lake.

15171133559_8f6213d9cf.jpg

Then heated over fire to get rid of the water and sulphur in the limonite.

15334880566_0c7c82d14b.jpg

After that the limonite is put in small fire pits with charcoal. The charcoal and the iron sinks deeper in the pit while the residue is left in top. The iron forms big lumps at the bottom and can be collected after the temprature has decreased.

I would like to claim HSS Laborer Mining with this build.

C&C most welcome!

Great inspiration from Gideon!

Excellent idea and well executed :classic:

I always love seeing MOCs depicting historically correct industry!

Very nice build. I'm assuming this is a much more historically accurate way of smelting iron than I showed in my recent moc. I like showing the process like this and have been working on a few different ideas to show different processes as well.

That is really interesting. I learned 2 new words! How is the ore mined from the sea bed?

I do like these floating false ceilings for the sea surface. Very nice execution of a good idea.

Great use of color dG, a pleasant little scene. I guess it is you who keeps scoring all the cheap 8x8 trans-light blue plates on BL?! :laugh:

Edited by MassEditor

Such a cool idea for a build, DG. Very nice execution! I'd love to see more "industry" builds in GoH.

Cool build, if you don't mind me asking, where do you get the really cool colour leaves, like the yellow ones?

altbricks.net I have a bunch too. :P

Good job portraying an interesting task! I like the inclusion of the underwater part as well, it adds a nice feeling to the build! :thumbup:

Nice DG! The colors really draw the eye in this build, but digging deeper, you can see the leveling of the landscape is top notch as well

Really happy colors on this moc DG and cool everyday life activities there. Beautiful made scene and minifig poses :wink:

Great scene! I really like all the details of the mining process, and the landscaping is very good, especially the water:)

Thanks guys! =)

Robuko; the ore is taken by some long sticks with baskets on them (at least I think after looking at some old paintings!)

ME: Hehe well I only have 12 of them! =( They are pretty darn expensive! =)

Excellent build, as usual! I love the simple effect of land with layered plates and the incorporation of the underwater portion.

Is the boatman's punting pole a broken lance? :look:

Thanks!

Slegengr: Yes indeed it is! I was looking for a long lego stick and found that in my broken lego box!

The underwater section looks fantastic :wub: Very good landscape and fig posing as well, the scene really seems alive :thumbup:

Don't know if this the way they did it in the past, but it's detailed and believeable.... Nice moc!