Gideon

HSS: Streets of Barqa

Beautiful! :) so much detail going on and the hustle and bustle is captured so well. My favourite part has to be the streets lit up at dark :)

This is an amazing build - Hopefully, I will drop by Skærbæk to see it in person! :classic: One question, though - Where are those tan gothic arches from? Don't remember seeing them in any sets.

Just one word: Amazing!!

One of the best, most complete and beautiful MOCs of middle eastern theme that I've ever seen.

Congratulations!

Beautiful MOC! Many details attract our eyes for very good scenes and techniques. The minifigure cleaning the street is very funny! Congrats!

I have seen already impresive work from you Gideon, but this must be (one of) your masterpiece.. Not only because of the size of the build, or techniques used, but also and mostly because you made such a vivid scene of it. All the little details and the minifig activity, .. it realy looks like a snapshot of a busy streetscene. One can easy imagine that, if the pictures were taken 10 seconds later, it would look completely different. So much happening here..

I also realy like the way how you managed to blend other colors into the typical Kaliphlin tans, and make it looks like something that has organically grown.. Not that evident.. I tried to build some Kaliphlin or Tatooine themed mocs myself some months ago, but most of the time the so needed tan just makes it look bland..

This is an amazing build - Hopefully, I will drop by Skærbæk to see it in person! :classic: One question, though - Where are those tan gothic arches from? Don't remember seeing them in any sets.

I think he used a lot of these arches Bregir.. a couple of them came in tan in the Simpson house.. but they are rare.. hence their price on Bricklink I guess..

I love every little part of this MOC. Brilliant! :laugh:

Edited by Vasko

Lovely creation! You've clearly mastered sand-shaded structures. Even though I love the bright highlight colors of the buildings, I think the my favorite part are the hanging pink flowers! They just look beautiful against a desert backdrop. Great job!

Fantastic build!

There's so much to enjoy with the textures and build techniques you've used here. I tip my hat to you.

My goodness Jonas, this is one stunning MOC and presentation. This is truly in a class of its own - I have to say, I don't think I've ever seen a more gorgeous, thoughout, and so well-executed build... ever. Like others have mentioned, you truly are the Master of Tan. The castle wall is a perfect example: it is far to easy to make such a wall bland, but you have put in just the right amount of detail to make it just perfect. The amount of realism in this build is jaw-dropping - I love your inclusion of a few Nocturnian refugees in there too!

Your use of lights is just phenomenal as well. May I ask what your exposure time was to get those shots? Also, I will have to share this MOC with Rob Hendrix, the owner of Lifelites and a member of my local LUG. I'm sure he will be stunned by this build.

Also, I must praise your photography as well. Your builds are always amazing, but your photography is the cherry on top. A build like this would be easy to photograph badly, but that is certainly not the case here (also, you must be an ox of a man to manhandle this build by yourself!). I wish you lived closer, so I could pay you to take photos of my builds! I'm tempted to by a ticket to Denmark just to see this in person (the only way to truly appreciate this, I would think). Anyways, thanks for sharing this, Jonas. You are a true inspiration!

Man, if I could only take pictures like you ...

I doubt there is anything else that needs to be added, so basicly everything is cool and it's a shame I can't go to Denmark this weekend!

This has to be the definitive Kaliphlin build at this stage. You've put the bar up in the stratosphere, Gideon, and in a guild full of awesome builders. I think you'll inspire another awesome rash of city and "everyday life" scenes in GoH, too.

Good thing EB is text-based because my jaw is somewhere on the floor.

Amazing build Gideon, the sheer size is inspiring! Love the texture on the wall, and all the details going down the street are fantastic, as are the overhanging pink flowers, looks very natural! The white laced coverings over the stall really work well, that's a pair of techniques I'm going to have to keep in mind! The only suggestion I have would be to not use quite as much tan for the buildings - if the bottom stories of the two house-like structures were brown or something, it would help to keep them from blending in with the wall and sidewalk, IMHO. Fantastic job regardless, especially with the lights, that's the icing on the cake!

+1 for the UP Credits!

Just totally awesome! I love the alleyways and covered aspects, the towers, the clocktower and the activity depicted that gives it a sense of realism. Excellent!

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you have the Kaliphlin architecture down to a science.

Great work all around. A lot of great details. I like seeing the different market areas.

I'd agree about color scheme. The only problem is, city wall, buildings, and groundwork is all very similar. I'd almost suggest more light/dark bley as ground work? Or more brownish textures for the buildings, at least in part to break it up. I realize in real life there may be similar shades to things and this would be very fitting, but it is hard to show that through LEGO.

I'm just now beginning to try to build a castle, but I'd love to eventually build a little city scene like this.

Keep up the great work!

Edited by TheLegoDr

Wow, that is just stunning! I would love seeing it IRB at Skaerbaek or any other places for that matter :) Incredible :thumbup:

Stupendous build, Gideon, packed with awesome details including the stand coverings, telescope, hanging globe, and candle-makers stall! The texture and colors on the walls and ground are top-notch, and excellent work with the lighting and photography; the huge size of the build is also very impressive! Love all the action going on with the figs as well :wink::thumbup: